I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank suggestions
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: May 22, 2006 09:48PM

Hi guys
Got a guy who wants me to build a rod for his son-in-law. He lives in " Iowa "
He says he is not sure about line, lure weight, fish ?? Kind of running blind here.
I was wondering what is a popular type of fish in that state. Checking the net the bass go from 1 -10 - pounds. Plus other larger fish.
I have had some bass fisherman ask for med-light rods for bass.
I was thinking a med - med light. 6'6 fast action. 6-12 line in the Batson line. He has a price limit. Butt Handle of 8 - 10" long ?

What do you guys in Iowa use Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank suggestions
Posted by: Robert crabtree (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: May 22, 2006 09:53PM

hello bill i think id go with the med.power fast action that will just about cover the basics here it seems most of the guys like a 7 inch rear grip stays out of the way when casting alot i like the shorter grip myself also...

Date: May 22, 2006 10:02PM

Robert
Thanks for the info. between the 20' and this no info build they are making me work for it LOL
What do ya think of there IM 6 blanks.

Posted by: Phil Richmond (---.cnrfe.navy.mil)
Date: May 22, 2006 10:25PM

I've got a 6' Calstar that I'm sure could pull in a bass...... sure you don't want it?

Seriously though, the bass rod you mentioned sounds nice as the bass there don't get overly huge. A light drop shot rod may be worth thinking about as well, could be used for perch or walleye if the guy fishes for them too.

Phil

Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: May 22, 2006 10:26PM

Bill , take a look at the Rainshadow IMB 783 ,a very nice feeling blank and we sell a bunch of them . If you are building it spinning that set of the new Forecast VS3 guides you just got from us would work real nice on that blank , if casting we got that to . Bill glad you like the guides . We have some in stock that we do not have on our website yet . Give us a call and Ray or I will be glad to tell you about them . 804-966-7577 Thanks from the guys at Fishsticks4u

Posted by: Robert crabtree (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: May 22, 2006 10:32PM

Bill to be honest the only rods i have got the chance to build on are there float rods wich have been very good at a great price compared to others and have found them not to be heavy like some........imo........they have a very good thing going on and the batson crew are fast to answer ????

Date: May 22, 2006 10:51PM

Robert crabtree
Yes they do make some nice stuff. Thanks
Robert Tignor
That's another I did not see Thanks. he is going bumper on it. I will be giving you a call as soon as I settle on which blank. And newbees get confused with all the options ?? LOL

Posted by: Kevin Pittman (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: May 22, 2006 11:11PM

I would also recc. a magbass 783. it is a versatile rod for many midwest applications.
I built a Rainshadow XMB783 and use it on bass and walleye, and it is my most used rod in my arsenal.
I also just built a Pacbay MB783 for my father and made it a spinning rod which turned out really nice and I am very happy with the action for a gen all purpose rod for him.
the lure specs (1/2 -5/8) are also right in the middle for many lure applications out here as well. any lighter or heavier you are getting into more specific applications ie finess or slop fishing (topwater in weeds/plastic frogs)

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 22, 2006 11:28PM

Being from that part of the country, I can tell you that I'm about 90% sure he will spend more time chasing walleye and panfish, than bass. Although there are many bass fishing opportunities around the area, the majority of the fishing in the state is for walleye, perch, and panfish. Since most walleye fishing involves a combination of jigging and pulling 1/2 oz lindy rigs and spinners...I would go with the med power in a 6'6". A med light would be a bit light to pull 3/4 oz bottom bouncers with 5 foot spinner rigs. A med power would be adequate for an all around rod for the area. Also a 6' would be a bit short for good hook sets when fishing slip bobbers in 10 foot plus of water. So in the end I would stick with a 6' 6" in a med power, fast action. As far as blank manufacturer...the rainshadow RX7 line is an excellent choice for the money. Rear grips of 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 inches are perfect with a 1 1/2" to 3" inch for grip. Most line weights for panfishing and walleye fishing for most of the methods used in the area would entail a 6 to 8 lb used most often.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: May 23, 2006 12:28AM

While visiting non-fishing relatives in NE Iowa & SW Minnesota, I was told I may be able to catch 2# largemouth bass, 2# walleye or 2# catfish. Small crank baits (1/4 oz Shad Raps) for bass; or 1/8 oz jigs for walleye; or small dipsey sinker rigs for bottom fishing for catfish was what I tried. My only consolation was that nobody else caught anything either. (What more can you expect from one hour of fishing a short walk from where you’re staying?)

Bill, I think you are right on target for this rod. This is such a generic, middle of the road request, that a medium power rod, that is a 6’0” or 6’6” one-piece rod in a FAST action and a 6-12# Line Rating is what I would choose, too. You can’t knock yourself out getting too specific for a customer who needs such a universal rod.

I have a rod like that right here at my elbow, and waving it around is confirming this rating class. A Lure Rating of from 1/8 oz up to 1/2 oz. would be good.

BATSON RX7 or RX6 Graphite Spinning Rod Blanks would be where I’d look. The RX6 will offer less expense and a more durable rod blank at nearly the same weight. All these RainShadow Rod Blanks are between $26 - $42. All are one-piece, 6'0" - 6'6"; 6-12# Line; 1/8 – 3/8 oz. Lures. All are FAST action & Medium-Lite Power.

SPIN Bass RX7: ISB-72-1 ISB-78-1
SPIN Bass RX6: SB-72-1 SB-78-1
SPIN JIG RX7: ISJ-78-2
SPIN JIG RX6: SJ-78-2
Bass CASTING RX7: IC-72-1

Spin Bass Multi-Purpose Blanks (ISB / SB):
[www.FishSticks4U.com]
RS-RX6: SB-78-1 ... Clear Gloss ... 6'6" ... 1-piece ...
6-12lb. ... 1/8 - 3/8 oz. ... 0.510" ... 4.5 / 64ths ...
Fast ... Med-Lt ... 1.70 oz. ... $25.58 - Add {FS4U]

You know your way around the FS4U.website,
so I'll leave off here. Good Luck, Bill. ... –Cliff Hall+++

Date: May 23, 2006 07:04AM

Cliff
Check your mail.

Posted by: Josh Dinklage (---.z210-3-66.customer.algx.net)
Date: May 23, 2006 08:36AM

build him the 822.5 rainshadow in either rx7 or 6. Very versatile. Make the handle longer than these others are stating - it will balance better. That blank will work for a ton of applications.

Posted by: Kevin Norstuen (---.worldspan.com)
Date: May 23, 2006 10:02AM

I would build a St Croix 6 1/2 or 7 foot medium weight fast action rod. Casting or spinning is your choice. SC II, SC III or SC IV depending on how much you want to spend. This makes a good, all around fishing rod for the bass, walleye and northern pike they have.

Just my opinion....Kevin

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: May 23, 2006 02:54PM

Bill,

You might want to consider a Tiger Eye blank also........make really nice all round Med action bass rods. Plus beautiful deep golden brown color at a nice price.

I like 8-10 handles over short 7 incher's myself......

Of course I don't think you could go wrong with the Batson blanks either.

Posted by: Ralph Ratliff (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 23, 2006 05:57PM

I just built two Batson RX7 783s; they are a very nice blank. I did one as a spinning rod for fishing light jigs and the second as a bait caster for crankbaits. These are going to be good all around rods. Robert is a good man to do business with, I have gotten only very good parts/blanks from him.

rhr

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: May 24, 2006 02:30PM

I live in Wisconsin and would like to first off say how sorry I am to hear that his son in law lives in Iowa (kidding). I personally fish for multi species and the best all around rod would be a 6' 6" medium action with a fast tip. If you jig it's nice to have a shorter (6') rod that balances well, if your after bass it's nice to have a 7' so the 6' 6" is a great compromise. My personal favorite is a 6' 9" St Croix Avid spinning rod. I'm new to rod building an have built a couple of rods for myself on Pacific Bay blanks and St. Croix blanks. I have never used a Rainforest blank and would like to know how the action is (opinion) compared to St. Croix, Loomis, or Fenwicks? The price is appealing and they look good on the spec sheets, however I have not been able to get a hold of one to compare in person. I would like to compare the Rainshadow drop shot blank number 822.5 to my 6' 9" x-fast SCIII St. Croix does any one on the board have both so they could tell me what they think of the Rainshadow blank? Thanks Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster