I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: using propane torch to remove bubbles on wraps
Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: May 22, 2006 08:53PM

I use the propane torch on a low setting and hold it about 6 inches from the epoxy and keep the rod turning. If you get it too hot you the epoxy will almost foam(past experience and not pleasant). But it really gets the bubbles out and a nice smoot finish.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Robert Robertson (---.248.40.69.ip.alltel.net)
Date: May 22, 2006 09:26PM

The pencil torch I use is made by BernzoMatic, the same company that makes the ordinary blow torch. It runs on butane, though, like you'd fill a non-disposable lighter with. My unit came with a couple of attachments for cutting nylon rope and stuff. Like I said, it's really handy. It was $20 or so, plus fuel.

I blow some heat on my guide finish after I mix and pour the finish onto some tin foil, and it takes most of the small bubbles out before I apply it to my wraps. Then, I quickly brush it over my wraps. It is soot-free, and the heat is controllable by distance and quick "brush strokes" over the wraps.

Man. That's way too much about my pencil torch. Sorry.

-Rob

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 22, 2006 11:16PM

I don't like open flames in my wrapping area where I have to many things that can accidently elimate my house (I'm a real Klutz). I use a heat gun. Quicker, easier and, IMO, safer. Small heat guns can be got from Craft stores if you don't want a standard one

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: kenny cuddeford (---.dhcp.scrm.ca.charter.com)
Date: May 23, 2006 12:00AM

i use my plumbing torch..turbo torch either with propane or map gas..i usually have both..i also the buffalo torch.the alcohol torch plastic squeeze bottle with the pin point flame blower thingy..

Posted by: Fran Park (---.atlaga.adelphia.net)
Date: May 23, 2006 06:46AM

I can't believe with all the responses to this thread that no one seems to mention a dental torch. I use one from Buffalo Dental. They burn denatured alcohol, cost about $12, and allow you to direct a pointed flame at the wrap, or at a thread fuzzie, with a gentle squeeze of the plastic bottle. I have to believe that I'm not the only guy using one of these. I also use it to flame the finish in the small tray I pour it into after mixing, so there are almost no bubbles to begin with.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 23, 2006 09:58AM

Doc - the Propane Torch I use can be purchased at Home Depot, Lowe's, or probably any Hardware shop. Propane comes in a Blue can, and it will require a kit to light & control teh flame. Teh kit with 1 can of Propane is like $15, refil cans are $5-7. One can lasts a long, long time.

Posted by: Emory Harry (67.170.180.---)
Date: May 23, 2006 10:05AM

Fran,
I think that the Bubble Buster is actually the same thing as a dental torch.

Posted by: Grant Darby (169.204.109.---)
Date: May 23, 2006 10:07AM

Sounds just like the" bubble buster" already mentioned. Nearly all the suppliers carry them. Squeeze it for a pinpoint flame, or hold it close to pop little bubbles. You do have to watch which alcohol you use, some don't like to stay lit.

Posted by: Billy Broderick (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: May 23, 2006 02:16PM

The problem with a cig lighter or even mnatches is the are not a clean flame. I agree the best method is no bubbles to begin with but if you must use a flame use a alcohol lamp or torch. I have a small torch which doesnt create soot or the black on my finish. For me though the best bet is to follow the procedures of gently mixing and pouring out onto alluminum pie plate so i dont have bubbles to begin with. I find if im careful following these steps the torch stays in the box it came in.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 23, 2006 02:28PM

Torch Torch Torch - I am in my glory when I fire up the rose bud on my welding set up - noise, flame, roar, heat are wonderful surging out of the end of the thing. I could cut !/2 inch plate at six inches per minute cleanly with the setting I use to flame my butt - either on the rod or the attached one. People who visit my shop are really impressed when they see the volcanos in my finish completely dissapear in seconds. I am in total control of either beauty or total destruction and love the power in my hands!

I learned my technique while watching Jesse burn his eyebrows, shop wall and any rod that happened to come near.
Distance and speed are the keys!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Stan Grace (69.146.116.---)
Date: May 23, 2006 02:56PM

I am in the process of completing my 40th rod and have yet to use a torch or heat gun when applying epoxy. I must be missing all of the fun. I suppose that is the down side of being self taught.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.povn.com)
Date: May 23, 2006 02:58PM

I use a heat gun if I get bubbles in the finish. I cup one hand behind the wraps to judge the heat level and move the gun across the finish. No flames, just heat. As said above, if your hand can't take the heat level, neither can the wraps and finish. Works for me.

Joe

Joe Douglas

Posted by: Ross van Enckevort (---.internode.on.net)
Date: May 23, 2006 06:29PM

Geez Guys has this thread created some interest.Better let you know what I do. Propane torch works for me. I have a Primus .34kg refillable bottle with fittings elbow etc. This works great for me. Wisp it over the wraps no soot etc. This is what works for me.

Cheers,

Ross.

Posted by: Tim Stephens (---.propel.com)
Date: May 24, 2006 04:09AM

Well, no flames here. With both LS Supreme and ThreadMaster, I pour it onto aluminum foil, let it sit for 30 seconds, then just breath over it and I have ZERO bubbles.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: May 24, 2006 08:03AM

Bill Stevens wrote: "... I am in my glory when I fire up the rose bud on my welding set up - noise, flame, roar, heat are wonderful surging out of the end of the thing. ... I am in total control of either beauty or total destruction, and love the power in my hands!"
... Sounds like Russian Roulette to me ! ... Good luck, ...

Having once set a small puddle of alcohol on my bench top on fire, by laying down a still-hot metal tool ~ 15 years ago, "FLAME" is not among my primary tools. ...

Does anyone bother keeping a FIRE EXTINGUISHER within reach anymore? ... -Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: Mark Boggs (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: May 27, 2006 02:16AM

I haven't seen any mention yet of a butane torch. I use a Blazer mini torch. (Blazer is the brand name). It's about 3-4 inches tall and about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. It sports an easy to use knob type valve and piezo push button ignitor. You re-fill it with a pressurized butane canister available at department stores and hardware stores for just a few dollars. I bought mine many years ago from a Snap-On tool distributor, but I have seen them in department stores and hobby shops. It produces a clean blue flame just like propane but is small enough to be quite manageable.

Mark Boggs

Springfield, OR

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster