I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
using propane torch to remove bubbles on wraps
Posted by: Hank Turner (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: May 22, 2006 01:17PM

I have been using a propane torch on my epoxy wraps. Is this proper? It seems to get all of the bubbles out and smooth out the epoxy. I somes times heat the epoxy until I get a slight drip. Am I ruining the epoxy? thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: using propane torch to remove bubbles on wraps
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 22, 2006 01:24PM

Best thing is not to get bubbles in the mix to begin with.

However, if you do get them, I'd just use a small cigarette lighter and hold the flame under the wraps. A propane torch seems a little like shooting squirrels with an elephant gun. But... a lot of guys do it. Just keep the flame away from the wraps.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 22, 2006 01:37PM

I use a propane torch all the time with no ill effects. Got to be very carefull
though. I use to use a lighter or alcohol lamp but found the torch quicker
and easier for me.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Emory Harry (67.170.180.---)
Date: May 22, 2006 02:18PM

Hank,
I agree with Tom about shooting squirrels with an elephant gun. A propane torch will obviously work but it has a very hot flame and I think that you have to be very careful with it. I do not care for the cigarette lighter because it is more difficult to direct at a small spot and it is too easy to get soot into the finish. There is a little alcohol torch called a Bubble Buster that some of the sponsors on the left sell for just a few dollars that has a much cooler flame that you might consider. I am like you and can not seem to get epoxy on a rod without a few bubbles but I have been using one of the Bubble Busters for years and find it to be a better solution than a propane torch or a cigarette lighter.

Posted by: Hank Turner (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: May 22, 2006 02:20PM

thanks guys for the help, Raymond I'm trying to do the things I once thought I could not do, good advice, thanks, Hank

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: May 22, 2006 02:32PM

Disclaimer - I am totally adverse to flaming epoxy for various safety reasons. But, obviously, lots of guys do it.

However, for those for whom torching epoxy is necessary, there may be a more compact torch than what you are using. Some fancy cookware departments have some kind of a small flambeau (sp?) torch that is closer to the size of a 12 oz soda can than a 2-liter bottle. I have only seen it in sale flyers for fancy department stores or Bed, Bath & Beyond. May be worth a closer look if the price is right (~$20, I think). ... -Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.nas16.kansas-city2.mo.us.da.qwest.ne)
Date: May 22, 2006 03:09PM

The bic lighter soot is a pain to remove from "flowing epoxy" Alcohol lamps much nicer, no soot. I too think it would be wonderful to have no bubbles in the finish before one applies it but that is nearly impossible to achive.

Have fun ~ ~

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 22, 2006 03:18PM

I have never used a propane torch but have had trouble like Art noted about soot in the finish from the butane lighters so I switched to Alcohol lamps(specifically the one Emory talks about) and havent had the problem since. However if the propane is working for you and gives you no soot and doesnt cause problems on a first coat (of course presuming there was a first coat) then back to Doc Ski rule #1 why fix it, if it aint broken? Must get old hearing that one.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: May 22, 2006 03:42PM

When I have to. I Use what is called a pencil torch. small easy to handle, smaller flame, pinpoint accuracy. Works great no soot. just don't hold in one spot. Rotate rod, move flame

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 22, 2006 03:54PM

You won't get any soot whatsoever unless you allow the flame to touch the wrap. Keep the flame a couple inches under or to the side of the wrap.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 22, 2006 04:27PM

I like the propane torch . Makes me feel powerful when I light it and it comes to life with a roar !!! Joking aside, when its roaring, I'll light a cigarette then turn it down to a dull little wick of a flame and gently pass just the heat of the flame over a finish and not the flame itself. Its just what works for me.

Posted by: warren commander (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: May 22, 2006 04:37PM

I use the propane torch often. Just don't get it too close and keep it moving quickly. If you get the epoxy too warm you can put more bubbles in than you take out.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 22, 2006 04:55PM

Do test wraps and see exactly what you can and cannot do with each heat source. I cannot use teh Alcohol torch, as it takes way to long to pop all the bubbles which I purposely get in teh finish when I mix. With teh Alcohol torch, I have burned metallic threads from hitting teh wrap with the flame.

With teh Propan eTorch, I rarely, if ever have burned ametallic thread. I can hit teh epoxy with the Propane with no ill effects, that big wide long flame is great, I pass it back and forth and the finish is 00% bubble free. Even LS Supreme which I never was able to get bubbles in i, because it dripped just like every other finish.

Test & see what works for you.

Posted by: Robert Robertson (---.248.40.69.ip.alltel.net)
Date: May 22, 2006 05:10PM

I use a pencil torch, too. It's small and easy to handle, and once you learn the proper distance, it seems to work great.

Plus, I've ended up using that little torch for about 1million other things around the house.

-Rob

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 22, 2006 05:55PM

You guys got me curious now. What type of torch do you use and who supplies the propane?

Alcohol works for me but have to agree with Billy it does take some time and if I could accomplish the same thing a bit faster without causing other problems it might be worth the investigation.

Posted by: Emory Harry (67.170.180.---)
Date: May 22, 2006 06:00PM

Doc,
You can get the propane torch in any hardware store or home improvement store. They may be in the plumbing section. I think that they were probably intended to solder copper pipe.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: May 22, 2006 06:08PM

Some come with a little igniter built on them. They'd be awful handy; wouldn't have to look for the Bic to light it with, then.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: May 22, 2006 06:10PM

You can get them at Lowe’s Tool department. The one I am presently using cam from Wal-Mart‘s. From the isle were you buy cigarettes. It has a goose neck that you can bend around to any direction, runs on lighter fluid and I think cost me about $6.00 include extra refill. Is also self igniting (squeeze trigger and it lights.

Posted by: Bill Worden (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: May 22, 2006 06:42PM

One more suggestion, No matter what you use, (I use a small log lighter, if anything.) I place my hand directly above the wrap when heating it. If my hand can't take it the wrap shouldn't either.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: May 22, 2006 08:15PM

I blast the bubbles with the propane torch too. No soot will develop because the flame application is so very brief.

Run the propane torch over your hand fast enough so that it only feels warm, not hot - that's hot breifly and quickly you apply the torch flame. If you linger any longer your hand will burn, so will the finish.

I've had trouble with soot using other methods.

Lou

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster