I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Distance casting spinng rods
Posted by: Tim Rumlow (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: May 21, 2006 05:08PM

I'd like to hear opinions on what I should set up for guides on a distance casting spinning rod, and here are the specifics.

I have a Sage GSH 3106lb, 6-15lb line 10 1/2' moderate action blank, 1/4-1oz weight, which will be used as a casting rod on the piers of the great lakes. I want to get maximum casting distance out of this rod . And here is my dilemma--I feel my two options are to treat it as a "surf rod", and set the guides and spacing up according to surf set-ups, which to me means less guides, and somewhat larger sz. throughout the blank.

Second option is to use the New Guide concept, but I just haven't seen much for info. on this in reference to distance casting. It goes without saying that this concept allows for casting distance, but moreso than "traditional" surt casting spacing?

In either set-up I will be running a shimano 4000 ( as a side, has anyone ever noticed that according to what reel in this series you have, the spools are different diameters, stella being smaller than a stradic?)series reel, and will be either running 2-10 powerpro line or 4-15 powerpro, the moderate action should be perfect for this. Another conflict is what for a choke? Thinking a 30 to a 20 and so on, or would a 25 to a 20 be a better option? Not sure since I am using such a "hard" line at such a high speed. Also, if one follows traditional surf spacing, the choke is about 32+ inches from reel, and of course the New guide concept, with this reel, will put the choke FEET closer to the reel.

So, on the tip, with that line weight, what on the tip, 7's or 8's? I will be running tysg's on this thing, and already have everything from 30's to 7's in my posession.

The thing that gets me, is really, the way that I want to build this it could be considered a surf rod, but generally, if speaking surf casting, and casting distance, there isn't much talk of rods this lite, and very little info? What are some opinions?
Tim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Distance casting spinng rods
Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: May 21, 2006 05:34PM

With that light of line on that power of rod I would use the concept system. I also would start with 25 to 16 to 12 to 8 to 6 for the rest . But that is just my thinking. I did something very similar on a 9' 7 wt wrapped as a spinning rod and casts like a rocket with 3/8 ounce.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 21, 2006 05:41PM

If you were using 12lb mono on this rod I would of recommended choking with a 30 to a 20 but if your using 4lb dia power pro, I'm not sure it would make much difference. Using a 30 or a 25 to choke that line is probably not much difference. With that said I would lean towards a 30 to accomodate both adequately. Once the handle is set up on the rod, you will need to temporarily afix the guides to test cast several guide setups and you will have a chance to test not only both power pro and mono...but also test guide spacing under a live casting scenario. You will need to do this in my opinion as this rod is somewhat prototypical. Would love to see pics of it when done.
Jeff

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.onsemi.com)
Date: May 21, 2006 06:08PM

Tim,
I think the back issue Volume 7, Issue 1 would help you alot. Great surf rodbuilding article.
I think your going at it wrong if you want the most performance. I think you need to optimize all the components to get the best results. For instance the Diawa reels have a much better name in distance casting than Shimano, have had for many years. Than your going to have to do a bunch of test casting to optimize everything to the conditions you face.Your going to have to know which line your going to use, than guide spacing/sizes and distances will all be set by the test casting sessions.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 21, 2006 07:38PM

There is an article on how to set up the New Guide Concept in the online library here. It would be my choice of a guide system for what you want to do.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 21, 2006 08:04PM

I'd consult the New Guide Concept article and go from there. With fine lines, and the angle of the Shimano 4000's, you'll need to make some adjustments, so test casting based on the concept and your casting conditions would be prudent.

"There Noooooo surf in Michigan"......Henry Rollins.

Posted by: Charles Clayton (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: May 22, 2006 03:51AM

Had a look at this rod in my local (Australian) tackleshop.The Nitro Sniper is built up as a surf rod with eight Fuji Aconites, it's supposed to be a great casting rod, I've been looking for a while to find a rod that will cast 1oz but allow a relatively light line and would be very interested to hear which way you go with this blank,I'm vey tempted although we heading into winter down here.
Regards Charlie

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 22, 2006 09:15AM

I am looking at building a similar rod on a 9' steelhead blank - for throwing very light stuff in the surf for pompano and flounder. I would be curious to know what handle length and guide setup you end up with. I recently set up a rod for a Shimano 2000 size reel and very light braid, and ended up using BYAG 25, 16, 8; and BLAG 7s the rest of the way out. I don't think you need a 30 stripper and on a reel that size I would think you would by down to your choke guide pretty quickly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster