I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Forming cork butt caps/ends
Posted by: John Richardson (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: May 18, 2006 08:56PM

I'm planning on putting a split grip on a popping rod I'm building. I just got my Grizzly Hobby Lathe and have ordered turning madrels from Andy Dear.

What I can't figure out is how to turn or shape the rubberized cork end cap on the butt of the rod. The cork I have is solid (no hole) and I'd like to keep it that way. Do I shape the cork end piece by hand and then glue it to the rest of the grip or what?

I know this is a newbie question but I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this without screwing up a lot of cork.

Thanks

-John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Forming cork butt caps/ends
Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 18, 2006 10:01PM

Get a forstner bit as close to the size of the butt of the blank as possible, but larger, and drill a hole in the center half way through the solid ring. Assemble the grip as usual, epoxy the end ring over the end of the blank and clamp the whole grip until it cures. If need be you can shape the end by hand on the rod. Use a flat file, then finish with emery paper down to 400 - 600 grit. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 18, 2006 10:09PM

This is a great question as I battled this for awhile. I use the rubberized cork with no hole also. I glue the rear grip up on the rod and get it flush with the end of the blank. Once dried I glue the cork to the butt of the rod and put the rod and grip with cap into a cork clamp to dry. Once dried, I take the butt end of the rod and carefully sand the OD of the cork butt cap to just about flush with the rear grip by using a 1" by 30" belt sander. Getting used to rotating the rod in your fingers while you apply just the right pressure takes some practice but once you get used to it its a snap... try to get most of the glue seam off with the sander but leave the last little film of it on so you dont over sand the flush seam. Then hand sand it flush with some 150 grit and then some 220. hit it with 400 and your done. Sometimes I will tilt the finished cap on its edge and put a slight 45 degree beveled edge on the end of it too with the sander. Looks great...this takes some steady hands and a nice fluid rotation of the handle to get it right. If you have a combo 1" by 30" belt and a 5" disc sander....you can put a fine grit sanding pad on the disc and a med/coarse on the belt.....then you can do the first step on the belt where you take the ring down to rough OD of the handle. Then do the final shaping edge with the disc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2006 10:13PM by Jeff Harding.

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: May 19, 2006 07:25AM

I had the same dilema with a solid EVA cap ring. I took a piece of antenna tubing that was 1/4" in diameter and "burned" a hole in the middle with my drill press (Tom's suggestion) and saved the plug that was left over. My brother in law tapped a 1/4" thread into one end of my mandrel. I bored out my cork rings, slid them onto the mandel up against a stop collar, and bolted the EVA ring up against the cork held on by the bolt (counterbored the EVA to just fit over the mandrel). Then I turned the cork and EVA to the same size. I reamed the cork to fit my blank, then slid the EVA ring on from the end, glued the plug in place I had left over from the beginning, a little more touch up sanding - worked for me.

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (209.200.194.---)
Date: May 19, 2006 10:06AM

You can also make a "jam" chuck to use for shaping it. Assuming the drill you're using on the hobby lathe has a 3/8" chuck, get a piece of 3/8" dowel and cut a piece about 1-1/2" long. What you want is to actually force the grip onto the dowel so that when you put the dowel into the chuck and turn it on, you can shape it without it spinning on the dowel. I've made jam chucks as big as 1-1/2" in diameter for turning wood and they work quite well.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.9.108.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 19, 2006 10:21AM

Finish the butt end. Glue the no hole ring on. With a secure stand close to the end turn and shape. I do this on my home made lath

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: May 22, 2006 07:25AM

I drill holes in mine and turn it with the rubberized attached to the grip. I much prefer the look and finish I get when I shape the entire grip as one. When installed, the grip extends past the end of the blank about 1/4". My last step for the entire rod is to glue a plug in that hole. I make my own plugs from rubberized cork using a circle template, X-Acto chisel and a 120 grit sanding block. Takes under 2 minutes to make a plug and the glue line is nearly invisible.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nas24.newark2.nj.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: May 22, 2006 08:35AM

You can also save all your cork dust and mix with glue to plug the hole.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster