I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

DAV spinning rod
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 18, 2006 06:46PM

The DAV project spinning rod that John Bunner built the handle on and Mick McComesky did the thread weaves and guide wraps on just showed up at my house today. The UPS truck was backing in and I was doing cartwheels in the front lawn when he got out...lol...OKOK...My fat a$$ cant do a cart wheel but just the same...I brought it into the house and opened it up...UN FREAKIN BELIEVABLE!!! WOW...super nice work guys...I had seen the pics as it progressed but to see it in person is something else....For being possessed, this rod sure is purdy! My wife walked in and saw me kneeling over it and asked ..."Where did that rod come from...and why are you wearing a string of garlic around your neck...and whats with all the candles..."?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: DAV spinning rod
Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 18, 2006 08:50PM

....I know where your coming from. When last years Global Rod showed up at my house, I was pretty much floored from what I saw . Looks like you're going to meet your deadline too.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: May 18, 2006 09:11PM

It's a lot of fun to be able to view others works in hand; most enjoyable!! Deadline will be easy for ya, now.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: John Bunner (---.dsl.ipltin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 19, 2006 12:04AM

Jeff

Glad it made it to your house in one piece! I can't wait to see the pics of the finished rod! Like I have said all along, as long as Jason likes it I'll be happy!

John

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: May 19, 2006 06:30AM

DItto what John said. Don't forget to sign the rod bag that John made too! (That's what the pen is for if you were wondering).

Keep the garlic handy! LOL

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 19, 2006 08:53AM

Mick, I was planning on marbling the area between the hook keep wrap and the edge of the butt wrap...and the guide wraps. But the more I look at the guide wraps I dont know...The job you did with the guides is very nice and that thread just looks so natural on that blank...When you hold the rod out in front of you as you would fish it, the guide wraps just disappear. What color thread is that? I think it looks pretty cool as it is as far as the guides go....I'll wait until I've marbled the butt section. Still debating on the colors for the marbling near the butt.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: May 19, 2006 09:25AM

Jeff, I thought the same thing. It's Gudebrod chestnut. Melts in perfectly to that blank color. I almost added some gold trim just in case you decided not to marble!

I can't offer much help on marbling colors. I don't really do marbling so my already sadly lacking imagination is useless when it comes to this stuff. Brown with a touch of gold and black maybe? Or even just clear with some gold and black "veins" running around in it, to let the blank color through some?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster