I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Poker chip in Grip
Posted by: Geoff Creighton (---.army.pentagon.mil)
Date: May 18, 2006 10:38AM

I attempted to turn my first cork/poker chip grip. The grip is the the butt portion of a split grip. I sanded three chips on both sides with 100 grit and attached to 2 rings of cork on either side using rod bond on a mandrel. I put in a cork clamp and set overnight. The following day I rough shaped using 60 grit, but when I switched to 80 the bond between 2 chips broke. Is this something that is common when working with chips? Is there somethng that I can do to help prevent this from happening again?

Thanks,

Geoff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Poker chip in Grip
Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: May 18, 2006 11:14AM

Is it possible the RB wasn't fully cured, adn teh heat from sanding caused the epoxy to soften?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 18, 2006 11:53AM

The heat will hurt you in that regard. Notice that the article mentioned to do your rough shaping with something like a rasp or sur-form file. These cut faster than sandpaper and therefore you don't have that friction there for as long to build up heat.

I'd also let the RodBond cure for two full days before doing this sort of thing. Make sure you flatten the sides of the chips and prepare a water-break-free surface on them before bonding.

Posted by: Ralph Ratliff (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 18, 2006 05:01PM

I had the same problem until I switched to 5 minute epoxy for the chips. Tightbond III and RodBond didn't hold the plastic chips. I use a rasp to rough shape the grip, sur-form grabbed real hard.

Hope this helps.

rhr

Date: May 18, 2006 05:33PM

Tightbond won't be much good on plastic.

Another good way to reduce the size of the chips is by holding the grip against a regular grinding wheel. This is a tip passed on by Rich Forhan. I've tried it and it works quite well.

Posted by: John Scarborough (---.244.186.193.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: May 19, 2006 08:22AM

The mystry of the debonding is in the composition of the poker chip, if it's an acetel base they won't bond well, they will bond, but NOT well. High quality and even some medium grade chips use the acetel (delrin) base. If a "ring" or spacer effect is wanted there are several companies that manufacture "rings" specifically for this type appearances and they bond with no hassle.

Date: May 19, 2006 08:36AM

This was pointed out in the article. The cheaper varieties of chips, are usually plastic and actually work much better for this application. The more expensive chips are hard to bond and even harder to sand/shape.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 19, 2006 09:24AM

John,
Do you have the names of any of these companies? I haven't been able to find any
Thanks!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.9.108.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 19, 2006 10:35AM

OK
This may sound dumb to you guys. But why use poker chips any way ? The face of them ( that looks good ) is sanded away. The edge is also sanded away. problems with the adhesion with some thing like Rod Bond ??

Why not just make colored rings. Any color ya want, good adhesion cause it is epoxy, and easy to shape ??

For an end cap I can see.

Posted by: Joe Hepp (---.229.186.183.res-cmts.nbh.ptd.net)
Date: May 20, 2006 05:13PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2006 07:23PM by Joe Hepp.

Posted by: John Scarborough (---.244.186.246.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: May 20, 2006 06:56PM

Mike the company is listed as ""www.cuestik.com," doesn't sound like rod building equipment does it???. They carry fibre and plastic rings we use building pool cues. The parent company is actually an electrical insulation manufacturer. Hope I'm not violating the rules .......

Sorry I took so long to reply..

Posted by: Geoff Creighton (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: May 21, 2006 12:32PM

Thanks for all the help. I let the epoxy sit for 2+ days and used a rasp for the rough shaping. It worked and looks great!

Posted by: John Richardson (---.dhcp.ahvl.nc.charter.com)
Date: May 21, 2006 07:29PM

I think the chips sold for use as accents for cue sticks are a great idea if you only want to use it as an accent in a rod grip. However, at one of Rich Forhan's seminars in Charlotte, he passed around a rod he built with poker chips in the grip. While the chips did provide an accent, Rich used them as a means to transmit more feeling from the rod to your hand while fishing.

-John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster