I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Texilium
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 18, 2006 01:27AM

Looking for some info concerning the Texilium handle material from Lamiglas. I have seen some very negative posts elsewhere concerning the durability and what the material is made of. I would like some opinions based on factual experience/technical data rather that "I heard", "he said" stuff. I have had nothing but GREAT experience with Lamiglas and consider them a first class operation with top quality products so I would like to give them the benefit of the doubt and get some more info.

Thanks!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Texilium
Posted by: Andy Dear (---.231.14.2.Dial1.Houston1.Level3.net)
Date: May 18, 2006 07:15AM

Mike,
There is a lot of mis-information floating around the web regarding the actual make up of Texalium. Simply put, it is nothing more than fiberglass cloth with an aluminized coating on it. Some companies (NOT LAMIGLAS) have advertised this as a seperate material suitable for a carbon fiber substitute....which it is absolutely not....it's fiberglass through and through, with all of the inherent properties of glass. I had the opportunity to work with some raw Texalium cloth a couple of days ago at a friends shop, and it is interesting stuff, but nothing really exotic. It looks cool, drapes well for wet layup applications etc...
I have a friend who makes unicycle parts out of carbon fiber/kevlar. Due to the massive shortage of carbon in the industry at the moment he considered switching to Texalium for certain applications, but it's somewhat heavy compared to carbon....as fiberglass is. It does look cool though, even as bare cloth on the roll, kinda like "silver carbon"
I don't see any reason why Texalium in and of itself would make a bad handle material or be less durable than a comparable material, unless the actual handle was of inferior construction, which I doubt is the case.

Best Regards,

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing Products

Posted by: sam fox (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 18, 2006 07:31AM

Mike,
I bought 2 pieces of the stuff in Charlotte. The flipping stick I posted the pictures on is the only application i've done so far. It was fairly easy to work with and so far I've had no problems with the wear and durability of it.So far I'm pleased with the stuff.

Posted by: Josh Dinklage (---.z210-3-66.customer.algx.net)
Date: May 18, 2006 09:19AM

I have used it. The texalium is naturally silver in color. The other colors are tint /finish over the silver. The finish (and tint on colored tubes) may lift on the edges if not sealed with epoxy, thread, permagloss, whatever. It is similar in all other characteristics to the other tennessee tubes available. It looks cool as @#$%& though, until you cover half of it up with tommy tape.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: May 18, 2006 09:53AM

I've colored over teh regular woven graphite, and that also lifts up at teh edges even with a coat of epoxy. Teh stuff @#$%& if you are trying to color it, but it does look cool, especially as a photo op before you use it.

What irritates me is that they do make colored woven graphite. I know for a fact it is made in all Red, Green and Yellow, as those are the 3 colors offered for the Easton Stealth Baseball Bats (as well as Silver....) Now, maybe it is the same thing as Texalium, I do not know, maybe it is also coated - I do know that of the dozens and dozens of bats I have seen, there hasn't been a single one where it was peeled or flaked.

Silver - [www.rallytimesports.com]
Red - [www.cargolargo.com]
green (click to enlarge) - [www.weplay.com]
Yellow - [www.weplay.com]

i just found out they also make it in Blue:
[www.weplay.com]

And this one seems to be Orange:
[www.weplay.com]

Looking at all these pictures, it seems like this is Texalium, and not woven graphite.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2006 11:20AM by Billy Vivona.

Posted by: Grant Darby (169.204.109.---)
Date: May 18, 2006 10:50AM

Mike, I've always had good products and service from Lamiglass as well, but I'm one the folk that has had some bad luck with the Texilium. The stuff is just too pretty not to use, but it's durability might be questioned. I've used it with a burl and EVA buttcap and a burl ring at the the reel seat. When finishing the handle assembly, a wrap of tape was applied to both ends of the texilium to protect it from a sandpaper scratch or dripping @#$%&, when the tape was removed (no more than 10 minutes later) the outer color layer peeled right off with the tape. As Josh mentioned, the edges can easily be chipped and should probably be sealed with something. I'm going to finish another rod with it and put it to the test in a rod holder and by bouncing around in the drift boat. We'll see how it holds up.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: May 18, 2006 05:48PM

I also had the exact same challenge as Grant. Then used my finger nail to continue removing the finish. Pretty much peeled of as easy as an orange.
Emailed Todd Vivian with Lamaglas This is what he emailed back to me.

“am sorry to hear about the problems with the finish coming off. If you purchased this in Charlotte it was the first run of the brown and red colors and I found afterwards that here they had coated the colored finish over a clear finish without prepping the clear first. I have since addressed this problem and haven't heard any problems since. I certainly don't have any problem with replacing the faulty product either with a new finished one or if you prefer the graphite tube.”

He also promptly replaced the product. He is a very honorable and reputable man to do business with. Have not had any problems with what he replaced.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2006 05:49PM by Steve Gardner.

Date: May 18, 2006 06:23PM

Thanks for all the replies! I hope that the problems was just with that first batch. Steve, was your replacement the same color? You said that it was fine, right?
I'll second your opinion that Todd is very reputable and is great to do business with (as is Lamiglas). He tends to go that extra step for you.
I'm waiting for my grips now.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: May 19, 2006 07:49AM

As Todd " They have taken care of the problem. No did not go with same color went with black Graphite. But since have played with a piece of the same color (Brown) and was not able to scratch the finish off at all.

Posted by: Grant Darby (169.204.109.---)
Date: May 19, 2006 10:58AM

That's good to know, my red stick was the first batch I guess, but I do have other colors that were purchased later. I'm feelin a little better about using them now.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 19, 2006 02:06PM

I have taken note of the above posts with great interest and have only one idea that may be of value - Flock It!

Gon Fishn

Date: May 19, 2006 02:15PM

Why did I know that you were going to say that, Bill??

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster