I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pacbay 4 rod dryer Opinions
Posted by: Jeffrey Wolfanger (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: May 17, 2006 07:30PM

I am interested in customers who have purchased the Pacbay 4rod dryer and any feedback...I remember 1 fellow saying he had an issue with rods falling out when they were in the dryer, and some say they never have that many rods going so they wouldn't buy a 4 rod dryer...I however do a ton of stuff over the weekend, and then can't do any finishing and get backlogged.....

Anyhow unbiased short opinions would be appreciated. I can't look at the flexcoat, and don't have the interest in doing it myself way to busy.

Thank You,
Jeffrey

P.S. please don't delete this post :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pacbay 4 rod dryer Opinions
Posted by: Neal Cissel (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: May 17, 2006 08:20PM

I own one and also sell them. I have had some rods fall off of the dryer as well. What I had to do was the braces only had one peg to hold the bracket, so what I have done is take a screw and put it in the sides to keep the rods from falling off. Now I really don't like the rpm speed of the motors but since I have so many other drying motor in my room I don't worry about the rpm speed. The chucks that hold the handles in my opinion aren't as good as the ones that are on the wrapping machine and have had them come loose while turning. So now when running this dryer I keep my door open and my ear listening for a rod falling off. It's a great concept just some of the qaulity just isn't there.
I know that when I get done with my new rod building shop my drying area will be set up different then it is now and most likely not have the Pac Bay Qaud dryer. I hope this helps you in making your decsion.

Neal Cissel

Posted by: Jeffrey Wolfanger (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: May 17, 2006 09:05PM

Neal-

I really appreciate you honest honest feedback.

Thank You,
Jeffrey

Posted by: Emory Harry (67.170.180.---)
Date: May 17, 2006 10:24PM

Jeffrey,
I agree completely with Neal and do not care for that chuck. It is the same as the chuck on their wrapper and I think it leaves something to be desired.
As a short term fix you might want to just wrap some masking tape over the legs of the chuck and over the handle of the rods that you are drying to prevent them from falling out. If you do not want to build new chucks yourself I would get in touch with Flex Coat and buy the chucks that they use on their dryer. I have copied their design and built 6 of these that I use on dryers and one that I use on a wrapping lathe and have never had a rod fall out of one. It is a clever, inexpensive design that I think works very well.

Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: May 17, 2006 11:54PM

I use two of them. I don't like the chucks much either but all I do is take a rubber band and wrap around the three prongs. Haven't had any more trouble with them since. I really like mine. They are compact, easy to level, about the right speed for me, and most of all affordable. Just my opinion.

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: May 18, 2006 10:10PM

The rubber band trick John talks of is what I've gone to on my dryer (home-made, though). The guy who built mine (ME) did a poor job and these solve the problem very simply on dryers. Never have had one fall out since starting to do this.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Neal Cissel (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: May 19, 2006 06:00AM

Another idea instead of using rubber bands is taking a velcro strap and wrapping it around the chuck. I have also found that if you make the drying motor go the opposite way that you tight the chuck you will also stop it from untighting on the fishing rod.

Neal Cissel
Neal's Fishing Products

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.111.207.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 19, 2006 10:38PM

I have ( 2 ) of these and at any angle the rods do not come out. Don't need the center screw in piece.
Maybe some of the sponcers on the left have them ??
[www.cabelas.com]
Plus they have an allen screw to tighten onto the motor shaft.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2006 10:41PM by bill boettcher.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster