I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rodmaker V8#4 - rod lathe
Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: May 17, 2006 10:30AM

Tom (or someone) can you give me just a clue what the article about the home rod lathe is about? I'm looking at purchasing some back issues and this is one I'm looking at - is the article a comparison of commercially available lathes, or details on a homemade lathe? Not looking for a reprint of the article, just a clue as to it's contents... Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rodmaker V8#4 - rod lathe
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 17, 2006 10:51AM

It's an overview and plans for a homemade power wrapper.

There is always some trade off to either building or buying a rod lathe. Making your own might save you some money, depending on what your time is worth or what materials you can easily lay your hands on. Buying may cost you a little more at the outset, but you can unpack it and just go right to work. It's a decision that everybody has to make for themselves.

Date: May 17, 2006 11:11AM

Thanks Tom for the quick reply! I'm assuming I wouldn't get the use out of a powerwrapper - I am a new builder, and building freshwater rods - no underwraps, etc. A great article would relate to the construction of a variable speed rod dryer - higher speed for applying, lower speed for drying. Anything like that around??

Date: May 17, 2006 12:44PM

Not in RodMaker - I just turn the rod by hand when applying finish. Most do the same. A few do apply finish under power, however.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.9.200.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 17, 2006 04:50PM

Take a look at the photo page under equipment.

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.gdrpwi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 17, 2006 09:14PM

Right now I'm applying finish while turning the rod by hand as well - then doing the 180 degree turn/wick excess finish until no more sags before putting the rod on the dryer process. Seems to work well - I thought I had read some posts where guys were applying finish at high speed - like 100 rpm. Thought maybe I was missing something, but maybe not? My biggest problem is that the rod tends to slide back and forth on my supports as I spin it by hand - making it difficult to get nice clean edges. Any tips on that one?

Date: May 17, 2006 09:35PM

Some do apply finish with the rod turning at higher speeds. Nothing wrong with that if it works for you.

You need to block the rod at one end so that it turns true and doesn't "thread" itself along your supports. Just clamp a block behind the butt end of the rod so that the rod cannot move back any further in that direction.

If the supports are holding the rod exactly level, however, you shouldn't have to worry about the rod walking back and forth very much.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: May 18, 2006 12:21AM

Also, some sort of "steady-rest" for the application epoxy application tends to help a lot, as does an Optivisor, especially if you're considered elderly by folks you know.

Stan

Posted by: sam fox (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 18, 2006 07:14AM

Rich,
I still finish under power, I use a rotisserie motor from an old grill. It turns at about 3-4 rpm. I have made an attachment for the rod using pvc lined with foam and 4 screws on the outside for securing rubber bands wrapped around the rod handle. Works for me, I've used the same motor for over 25 yrs.

Date: May 18, 2006 09:33AM

I like the idea of clamping a block at the butt end - why didn't I think of that? I am working on some ideas for a hand rest as well - I can see where that would be a huge advantage over the way I'm doing it now. Thanks for all the ideas - I think my epoxy is turning out fairly well now, but I want to take it up to the level of the guys on this site (hopefully someday, that is!)

Thanks again.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.111.68.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 18, 2006 10:07AM

Easy Rich
Turn by hand when coating each guide. When all are coated, let the rod sit for maybe 10-15 min. Check often. When you see a drip on the bottom of them, just take it off with your brush or whatever. Then turn 90 degrees. Let sit, take drips of . Do this maybe 3-4 times. Then start the motor and let turn till dry.

Works very well with butt wraps. Don't try to do them all in one coat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster