I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji IPSM16 Spinning Reel Seat for ultralight
Posted by: Tim Traynor (---.sttlwa.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 16, 2006 06:45PM

I am new to rod building and just starting on my first couple of rods . I have picked up a bunch of components from a couple of the sponsers of this site, including an ultralight 5 1/2 ft spinning rod blank from Batson and the Fuji IPSM16 reel seat. Based on some previous threads on this site, I also picked up the cork foregrip FG25C and shaped buttgrip BG58512C and the HFPS16N quick lock foregrip.
Now, I like the idea of this reel seat in that the cork envelopes the seat and gives you a nice hand hold. I have never seen one of these in use, but apparently the cork foregrip is epoxied to the quick lock foregrip, and together they act as the nut to rotate on the reel seat and tighten down onto the reel. So this means they are not attached to the blank in any way but are free floating. The problem is that on the ultalight blank, the blank diameter is about half the diameter of the cork foregrip hole. So what do people do to make it visually pleasing where the end of the foregrip meets the blank when using this type of reel seat? Shoud I use some sort of shim between the blank and the foregrip cork to reduce the gap? It seems like you need some gap to allow easy rotation of the foregrip. Also, it seems like you can't do some more usual decorative thread and winding check to the foregrip since the foregrip must move up and down some amount when you unscrew it to put on a reel.
I am just a little confused and wondering what other people do when they implement this type of reel seat.

Tim Traynor

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji IPSM16 Spinning Reel Seat for ultralight
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 16, 2006 11:19PM

Traynor,

I've been using this reel seat a good deal lately. I just use a winding check that gives me a little less than a 16th of an inch clearance, when the reel is clamped in it. I've also heard of some guy's using them backward, where instead of the fore grip being the clamp the handle is the clamp. Although I haven't mounted one like that yet, it looks like a novel idea.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Ted Morgan (137.219.130.---)
Date: May 17, 2006 02:30AM

That seat is very comfy and easy to adapt. What you need to do is carefully cut off the front, and glue on a ring with a hole just about the size of the blank at the point where the seat is fully closed on the seat. Then reshape the front taper/curve.

Posted by: Robert Robertson (---.248.40.69.ip.alltel.net)
Date: May 17, 2006 02:55PM

I built a UL rod with a handle like that.

It does look very nice, and with the proper winding check glued to the front of the foregrip, it looks fine there, too. I just left a short space on the rod in front of that foregrip (since it moves out to "open" the seat for adding and removing the reel) before doing a butt wrap with a hook keeper. The hook keeper will actually keep the foregrip from falling down to the first guide, which is kind of handy.

The solution Morgan just posted sounds like it would be even better, since he's tailored the cork specifically to the blank. Although it sounds like more work than gluing on a check, it is exactly that kind of stuff that separates the craftsmen from the amateurs (like me).

The problem I encountered with the handle is that there is a fairly thin layer of cork ring around the front of the plastic bezel that threads onto the butt grip/reel seat. That transition from cork that is well supported by the plastic bezel and the cork that is "free floating" is relatively delicate, and I broke that portion of the foregrip during testing.

The handle I used WASN'T the Fuji one, it was a non-branded version still carried by Jann's Netcraft. Jann's was great about sending replacement parts, but I'm still nervous about the longevity of that handle (it was given to my Dad, and he's too sentimental about the rod to actually use the thing, so maybe it'll last!!)

Anyway, I'm using traditional foregrip/seat configurations on my rods now, even though I like the looks of the integral style.

-Rob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2006 03:01PM by Robert Robertson.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (137.219.130.---)
Date: May 17, 2006 11:27PM

Craftsman, me? Thank you for the compliment, but I am just an amateur myself. I tend to aim for the neatest, best looking solution, so a lot of the time I put more thought into the work and come up with more ideas. Taking my idea even further, you can add a winding check as well. You may find that the cork on the HFPS foregrip can split if you over tighten the reel seat. I've been meaning to get the nut with the hood (KFPSD) and trim the sleeve a little, then glue on the cork rings and winding check. It helps a great deal to put the foregrip on a mandrel with a tape bushing to keep everything nicely centred.

Posted by: Tim Traynor (---.isomedia.com)
Date: May 19, 2006 05:37PM

Thanks for the great replies!
It helped me come up with a plan, so that now I am back on track.
I have decided to make a little delrin bushing to glue on the end of the foregrip to dress it up and give some functional durability. I'll have to wait till next week to sneak into the machine shop.......

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster