I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Decrotive thread art?
Posted by: Nick Nalbone (71.225.88.---)
Date: May 16, 2006 05:58AM

Are there any tutorials out there that teach me how to do this? I am trying to decide if I want to do feather inlays, or thread art.

Thanks

different strokes for different folks, different flys for different guys!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decrotive thread art?
Posted by: John Bumstead (---.s445.apx1.lnh.md.dialup.rcn.com)
Date: May 16, 2006 07:14AM

Nick: I don't know about feather inlays, but there are many videos, booklets, and books on thread art. Check with some of the sponsors listed on the left side of this page. John

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 16, 2006 07:14AM

Why not do both so you have a choice of what to offer your customers?

Both techniques have been fully covered in RodMaker Magazine. If you look down the page just a bit, you can see a few ideas on how to learn decorative cross wraps.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: May 16, 2006 07:45AM

I'd figure out how to do both. The more techniques you learn, the mroe versitile you become. If you do teh same thing over and over and over, you end up getting bored. Learn both, do a butt wrap with feather inlays at each center, and have the best of both worlds.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 16, 2006 08:25AM

Nick,
Check your e-mail. I just sent you some stuff that you might find useful

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Rob Hale (---.ord.scnet.net)
Date: May 16, 2006 08:36AM

I've been looking for similar information. Already have the feathers down but would like to improve my cross wraps. Maybe Visualwrap is next on the Christmas list.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: May 16, 2006 09:10AM

Not that you guys want to or are able to wait, but hopefully all the interest in learning how to do Decorative Wraps is there in February 2007. There will be 24 hour Demo's of how to do the wraps, tricks, techniques, Q&A at the NERBs booth at the Rod Building Expo. Last year we recieved some great feedback and hopefully helped a few guys out answerring questions & teaching them a trick or two - so much so that we planned on getting an additional booth space at this coming Show.

Date: May 16, 2006 12:15PM

Billy,

Make sure that you stick Al Ciner in there with you guys!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 16, 2006 04:39PM

Nick...check out the "SEARCH" feature on this page. Its like the "Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy" for rodbuilders and creative rodbuilders. A grande plethera of information!

Mike B, if Al Ciner can make it to the 2007 Syposium, I'm sure he'd be a welcome addition for demos, great guy. Billys got some great plans for the NERBS booth this year.

Date: May 16, 2006 05:09PM

Al will be there. I'll be glad to help out anyway that I can if you need it. (except for thread art LOL!!)

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster