I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

wobble in grip
Posted by: Robert Miller (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 15, 2006 10:20PM

I just finished a 4 wt sig V and noticed there is a slight wobble in the grip or reel seat. I thought i did everything correct. I started by using a scotchbrite pad to make a rough surface, then used a generous amount of rod bond and let it dry for 24 hours before i even touched it.

Will the problem get worse over time or will it just stay the same? Is there any way to fix it with out starting over?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wobble in grip
Posted by: Joe Kassuba (---.dhcp.knwk.wa.charter.com)
Date: May 16, 2006 12:10AM

If the reel seat and or grip is loose the best fix is to remove and replace them. The reel seat can be removed by applying heat. Hot water usually works with fresh epoxy. A heat gun can be used but do not overheat the reel seat or blank..
If the grip is loose soak in hot water and crack it on one side to expose partt of the grip to blank joint. Let it dry and appy a thin epoxy such as LS Supreme to the joint wetting the blank to cork joint and both surfaces of the cracked cork squezze it togeather and let it set up.
A word about using scotch brite and what makes a good joint. Scotch brite is used to clean the surface not roughen it. The surface just needs to be scuffed so that it is clean. Always wet both surfaces of a joint if using epoxy adhesive. The best joints are those with the thinnest adhesion joint. A good fit is a tight fit.
The next best way to fix them is to drill holes and inject epoxy into the loose joint. Some times two holes are needed -one to inject epoxy and other to allow the air to escape. Inject enough epoxy to fill the drilled hole and be careful not to drill into the blank.
Joe Kassuba
HIS Rod Shop

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 16, 2006 05:46AM

Joe when you say LS Supreme do you mean the finish??

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.156.239.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 16, 2006 06:38AM

Don't use a Finish -- use an Adhesive !! If you need a more liquad adhesive Devcon at the hardware store is a good one. 2 - part.

Date: May 16, 2006 06:34PM

Yes I mean LS Supreme
You need time to work with it and it is thin and will flow which is what is needed in this case. It is liquid. Epoxy finish is an adhesive and is a very good one. Much tougher than the quick set Devcon. Devcon is ok but LS is better for this type of repair. As it will remain flexible.
Joe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: May 16, 2006 09:00PM

Not true !!!!! A finish is not made to adhear things together. When cleaning off guides how many times do you use your nail to peal off the dried finish ?? Not real good adhesion

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2006 09:06PM by bill boettcher.

Date: May 16, 2006 11:08PM

Devcon used as a wrap finish will also flake off quite easily. As will most all epoxies.
There is no joint per say on a guide wrap just a surface with a guide foot on it and threads wetted through by the finish. Epoxy works very well to protect and stabilze the threads and filling the gap between the threads and sides of the guide foot.
The problem here is being able to inject adhesive it into the joint. While LS and many other fine epoxies are formulated for finishes using plastizers and other additives they have very good adhesive characteristics and are very good adhesives for injecting into loose reel seat and grip joints.
Try it you will like it.
I am done.
Joe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: May 17, 2006 08:26AM

You make a good point Joe. Some thing to think about.
Adhesives can also be thinned so they flow better. Just that then you have a chemical reaction and evaperation in order for it to dry. In the closed area the evaporation may be a problem ?? Would probably take longer to dry. Then will it evaporate completely ??

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster