I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Split grip query
Posted by: Ron Petley (---.autobahnaccess.com)
Date: May 15, 2006 09:56PM

I want to build a med salt water spin rod,(not for me), line wt of 15-25lbs line. I thought a split grip would be nice. I searched some of the photos of split grips and lots do not have a grip above the reel seat. How does one cast a spin rod with this configuration? Do youi just grab the line and the blank? I fly fish and do not really know much about this. Any help it clear this up for me would be nice.
Cheers Ron.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Split grip query
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 15, 2006 10:17PM

Alot of light and ultra light spinning rods are built with little or no for grip so that the thumb rests near the blank in front of the reel seat. Most salt rods I've seen have a decent for grip for leveraging fish and I would think it would be impractical to leave the forgrip off of this type of rod. JMO
Jeff

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: May 16, 2006 12:20AM

A split grip will look great on this rod. I agree with Jeff, though, that the type of rod that you're building would likely need some kind of foregrip.

Most rods built without foregrips are used for lighter fresh water fishing such as walleye, bass and panfish in general.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: May 16, 2006 04:31AM

Hello Ron,,
Along the same lines as Randy and Jeff, I think you would need a decent foregrip on a 30# blank I still make a lot with split grips. Most of my rods these days are split grips and on my bay rods ( say up to 20#) I make many without foregrips. I have started using colored five min epoy checks and my customers think they are pretty cool. Good luck and have a good day.

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 16, 2006 07:37AM

HI Ron,

Fly fishing rigs cast using the weight of the line. Spinning and casting rods throw lines which have a weight of one sort or another at the lead end. The weight and aerodynamics of line, lure, sinker and / or bait all affect the cast.

One usually grips a spinning reel at the reel seat for casting and also for fighting a fish. It is most important to hold it there when casting. Most people place the hand with two fingers behind the reel's foot and two fingers in front. The thumb wraps over the top of the seat completing a secure grip.

The forefinger is used as a hook to keep the fishing line from flowing off the reel. The line is held in place this way through the casting motion and, at the best instant, the finger releases the line, sending it flying toward the target. There is some skill required to learn to release the line at the precise instant to send the package (lure or sinker and bait) in the optimum direction with the correct amount of force.

A foregrip plays no part in the casting process. The hand does not touch it when casting. A foregrip is a place further up the rod for gripping to apply added pressure when fighting a fish. A rod built for 15-25# line is relatively heavy and suited for strong fish. This is a class where you will need to bring added pressure to bear on a fish. Even a 4" foregrip will provide a welcome advantage when locked in battle with a brute of a fish. This is the precisely the kind of rod that needs a foregrip.

A rod in this class will handle large Striped Bass, Red Drum, Bluefish and other formidable prey. These are really strong fish. I certainly would not want to go up against one without a foregrip.

Lighter rods for smaller fish are a different story. The pressures can be handled easliy from the reel seat grip. By having no foregrip you can touch the blank in front of the reel seat and pick up any vibration from a nibble or structure. It's a nice way to increase sensitivity and help you know what is happening out of sight.

Each type of fishing has its own requirements. Often the boundaries can be crossed but this is not one of those instances. Your friend will be glad he has a foregrip to grab the first time he hooks up with a decent size fish. No doubt about it!

Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster