I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Jesse Buky
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 12, 2006 08:56AM

Jesse had been moved to a rehab facility and is in a wheelchair. It has been three months since we saw him at the Charlotte Show. I know that all will treasure any time they have personally spent with a very talented guy. His practical approach to rodbuilding and his advice has helped a lot of builders. I am going to chop up an Ugly Stick for him to use when dealing with the physical therapists. I will also take some thread for him to play with - black and silver only!

I will visit with Jesse all day on Tuesday of next week. If any builders care to pass on any messages I will print this thread and take it to him for personal delivery. I do not have his specific address as yet due to the fact that he just got located yesterday. When I get it I will pass it on.

Bill Stevens

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jesse Buky
Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: May 12, 2006 09:18AM

Bill, wish Jesse my best.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.147.134.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 12, 2006 09:32AM

Think he might want a lab top? This way we could talk to him.

Posted by: Grant Darby (169.204.109.---)
Date: May 12, 2006 10:04AM

At least with a lab top he won't have to worry about how to tie those darn gowns without having half your body showing!!! Couldn't resist Bill!. Please wish Jesse the best and sppedy recovery from a lot of out here on the left coast.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.147.134.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 12, 2006 10:07AM

And the Right Coast also.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 12, 2006 10:18AM

Give him my best, Bill

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 12, 2006 10:32AM

Very glad to hear he is getting up and around a bit and doing well!
Feel sorry for the nurses though! LOL!
I have not met Jesse yet but anyone who could come up with "Bad to the Bone"
and hold his own in the "War of the Flies" has my admiration 100 percent!

Get well soon Jesse! Hope to see you in High Point!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Bob Sale (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: May 12, 2006 10:49AM

How I met Jesse:
I attended the first big show with my then 9yr old son. Since I was talking to a lot of people that I have only ever talked to on the phone or via email, my son was looking around on his own. He came up to me with one of Jesse’s hosels with a tied caddis fly in it. I asked how much it was, and he told me it was “Free”. Wadda ya mean “Free”. Sure enough, Jesse had given it to him. Wouldn’t take any money for it. My son has since built a flyrod, and we put the hosel on it.

Jesse, you have touched more lives than you know. He smiles every time he uses that rod! Get well, my friend.

Posted by: Pete Kornegay (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: May 12, 2006 11:03AM

Bill- be sure to tell him that the entire rod building community is rooting for him and that I still personally look forward to spending a day with him in his shop.

Pete Kornegay

Posted by: Dan Hogan (---.lsanca54.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: May 12, 2006 01:10PM

I din't know Jesse but his is one of the names on my always read the posts list. Praying for a full recovery.

Dan Hogan
The only way to have a friend, is to be one.

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 12, 2006 02:29PM

Jessy;

You just take it easy and make a ful lrecovery. We all want to greet you in High Point in February. I'm sure a lot of the members are praying for your speedy recovery.

Dave

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 12, 2006 06:17PM

Jesse; having not had the Pleasure of meeting you in person yet I would like to wish you a Very speedy recovery. there are Many Many people who look Every day to see a update on your recovery posted here.
With luck I might have the Honour of shaking your gifted hand at the Show in greenville

GET WELL SOON!!

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.pinn.net)
Date: May 12, 2006 06:40PM

I met Jessie in 1990 when I arrived in Virginia Beach and paid him a visit to buy a couple of specialty blanks for use in the local area. SInce then I have dropped to visit with him from time to time. He's quite an old salt with alot of character. I paid him a visit in the hospital three weeks ago, he was itching to get out of there. I wish him the best and look forward to seeing him again real soon.

Lou

Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (---.vnet-inc.com)
Date: May 12, 2006 07:19PM

Glad to here he's getting better.

Date: May 12, 2006 08:16PM

This board is really something: I just got this email - the writer chose to not post it on the board but I just have to let everyone know just how builders can support each other: I omitted the name and phone number sent to maintain confidentiality. There really are some wonderful people involved in our craft.

Email text:

"I don’t know you or Jesse, but I have seen your post regarding Jesse and his condition. I was involved in a car accident 8 years ago and am a wheelchair bound paraplegic. I am an avid outdoorsman as well as rod builder, If I can be of any help please let me know, I have been through it and sure can help someone else to go through it. Again I am not sure if Jesse’s wheelchair condition is permanent (I pray that is not), If I can help please call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx or email me…

I have hunting land in Georgia all wheelchair accessible for Hogs, Deer, and Turkey, as well as live in the Florida Keys with a lot of friends with boats that will get him fishing."

End Message:

Wow! I hope you skin is tingling too! Wouldn't it be something if the Bad To The Bone ended up on a fine vessel in the Keys with some of his rods with a new set of friends.

Bill Stevens

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: May 12, 2006 08:17PM

Jessie:
You may not remember me, But you, John Ballard, and myself spent a lot of time at the rod show together. I helped you guy’s load up all the blanks. I have been keeping in touch with John checking on your progress. Talked with him Monday and he told me He had had a long conversation with you the night before. I was and am so glad to hear that you are doing better. We have been praying for and for your recovery. Will be an honor to eat lunch again with you at the next rod show.
Your friend
Steve

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: May 13, 2006 02:58AM

All the best jessy from england

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 13, 2006 10:32PM

Best regards and prayers from West Virginia!!!

Bill in WV

Date: May 14, 2006 05:29PM

Thanks guys for the posts - I will print the postings and deliver them to Jesse along with the complete rod shop in a tackle box. I will post a picture on the Photo Board in a few minutes. I hope the stuff in the box will turn him on - maybe even do a black and silver chevron wrap on the glass blank section to whip up on some of the physical terrorists that are hassling him! I know he will appreciate your well wishes.

Bill Stevens

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster