I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Questions on Static Guide Placement Library Article
Posted by: Dan Eaton (216.157.205.---)
Date: May 11, 2006 06:39PM

I am trying to understand exactly how to follow this article. Specifically, how to create the flex menitioned in the rod. Do you induce the flex in the rod by placing your hand a set distance from the tip and trying to flex the tip? Or do you fix the rod handle to something and gradually add weight to the tip to force a flex in the rod? The later would seem like the most likely because that would seem to best represent the real world situations. Please let me know your thoughts on how to flex the rod!! Thanks!!!

Dan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Questions on Static Guide Placement Library Article
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 11, 2006 06:46PM

Dan,
You need to attach a reel to the rod (preferably the one that will be used on the rod), run the line throough the guides and flex the rod by pulling on the line. This will allow you to adjust the guides to get a proper line path. I have a rrod holder attached to the end of my rod table

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 11, 2006 07:09PM

No, not quite. If you apply the load with the line on the reel you won't get the natural bend of the rod. Instead, the load must be applied by a separate line attached to the tip-top. The line from the reel is only lightly loaded - just enough to keep it taut. It is only there so you can see how that line flows through your guide placement along the blank.

So fasten the butt down and glue on your tip-top. Securely affix a line and load to the tip-top. String the line from reel up and out through the guides and hand just a little weight on it to keep that line taut.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2006 07:10PM by Tom Kirkman.

Date: May 11, 2006 07:50PM

Oops!! I've been doing it wrong!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 11, 2006 08:13PM

If you use the line coming from the reel, through the guides, the line pulling between pairs of guides will change the way the blank flexes. You want to get the natural flex of the blank, unhampered by what could be poor guide placement to start with,and then space the guides so the line coming from the reel somewhat mimics the curve of the blank.

Date: May 11, 2006 09:06PM

That makes sense!

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 11, 2006 10:16PM

So! I too have been doing it wrong all these years as well! I thought I read the article correctly
but sometimes its hard teaching an old dog new tricks!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.20.29.71.ip.alltel.net)
Date: May 11, 2006 10:46PM

I came up with a pretty good arrangement to do this. I took a strong cord and tied it to a big 6/0 or so hook, and cut the barb off the hook. Then, tied that cord to a stationary object on the floor. I just put the hook through the two "wings" on the tip, run a line from the reel through the guides, and tie on a practice plug. This makes it pretty easy to do it the right way.
Steve Broadwell

Date: May 11, 2006 10:49PM

With the cord tied to a stationary object dont you loose the ability to vary
the bend in the rod?

Raymond Adams

Date: May 11, 2006 10:52PM

No, sorry Steve
I guess you could vary the angle of the butt in relation to the load

Raymond Adams

Posted by: kenny cuddeford (---.dhcp.scrm.ca.charter.com)
Date: May 11, 2006 10:57PM

i made a rod holder out of abs with and a hose clamp to attach it to a fixed location.like the top rail of my kids bunkbed.. with slotts for the triger so the reel stays up,casting or the reel foot down spinning,to place my rod in.with the tip and reel on.i tie a seperate line to the tip and load it up.like tie it to their toy box or a boot.with the guides fastened with rubber bands where i think they should be.then adjust them to the natural curve location it shows me running the line from the reel.it works for what i have..

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.20.29.71.ip.alltel.net)
Date: May 11, 2006 11:16PM

Raymond
Yep, you can hold it at any angle, and put as much load as you want. I have been thinking about making a rodholder out of some of the 2" PVC I am accumulating from blank shipments, with the rod at about a 45 degree angle, like the pre-made one some sponsors sell. But, I am too busy, and my way seems to work great.
Actually, the weight on the floor is a Troy tiller bulldozer blade. Finally getting some use out of it!
Steve Broadwell

Posted by: Bill Beall (---.nas15.charlotte2.nc.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: May 12, 2006 05:23AM

Dan,

There are a lot of ways to do it, here's one that works for me.

I put a four or five inch loop of 30 lb. mono through the tiptop and attach a length of white fly line backing (any light, flexible, highly visible line will work, even wrapping thread) to the reel seat and run it through the guides and top. I don't use a reel. Several feet beyond the top I tie a small bolt to the backing, enough weight to keep light tension on it. I use a foot-long piece of heavy copper wire, wrapping one end aroung the neck of an empty plastic Coke bottle and making a small hook in the other end of the wire. I put the rod in a holder at about a 45 degree angle and hang the plactic bottle from the mono loop. I add water to the bottle as necessary to increase rod flex as I adjust my guide placements. I use a 12 oz. bottle for very light rods, a 2-liter for the heavier stuff.

I hope you find this useful. Cheers, Bill Beall

Date: May 12, 2006 10:25AM

Here's what I have mounted on my bench [cabelas.com] Works great and is completely adjustable.

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: May 12, 2006 10:29AM

Tom,

Why would pulling from the tip give you a more "natural" bend? After all the rod won't bend without a force making it bend.When you have a fish on the force on the guides will effect the bend wouldn't this be the one you want to use? Just trying to rationalize this.

I kind of do a hybrid of both.....I set up based on the chart....then weight a line with a couple split shot coming off the reel intended for the rod or the closest model I can find thru the guides....then apply force to the tip top to flex the rod...reposition guides as needed....then I apply force using the line off the reel through the guides to check that it still bends the way I want...make subtle adjustments if needed..check it again til I am satisfied.

Do you see anything wrong with doing it this way?

Posted by: Clyde Thomas (---.bltmmd.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 15, 2006 07:42PM

Just a humble newbie but I'll add a thought... For the rod I'm just wrapping now I suspended a plastic pail (2 gal) from the tiptop and filled it 3/4 full with water to "simulate" what I believe will be the average/high end of the fish I'll be targeting (Chesapeake Bay and Delaware Bay Stripers) which should come in at 12 to 15 lbs on a good day. Using water makes it easy to determine approx weight and using what I think is the "target" weight gives the bend that I want to adjust guides to. Just a thought from a newbie.

Clyde Thomas

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster