I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Batson model VS3
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nas50.newark2.nj.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: May 11, 2006 09:01AM

Has any one used these ? What do ya think of them ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Batson model VS3
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 11, 2006 11:13AM

I'm waiting on some now.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: May 11, 2006 11:29AM

I'm putting them on a 17' float rod...I'll post my .02 after the first Steelhead!! Ha-ha.. They look like they will be durable, but hopfully not too heavy...

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nas66.newark2.nj.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: May 11, 2006 11:30AM

Mike
Just trying to find a " black " frame and ring color for a rod. I was doing Fuji alconites and forcast fly guides. Don't like fuji's fly ring height. But wanted some thing in a Concept type guide for the first several ?
Heck I think I will just order some.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (65.41.38.---)
Date: May 11, 2006 11:43AM

Yes;
Bought a set at the show to try.

Used them on a rod for a friend that did not want to spring for titanium’s.
I really like the way they look on the rod. Almost adds a touch of class.

Of course thay are a tad bit heavier then VS’s but not enough to notice. For the look and the extra durability I think there worth tying out. Used FL guides for the 4 closest to the tip to bring the weight back down a little.

Date: May 11, 2006 11:55AM

Maybe just a little till ya hit the chock guide, then it's flys on out.
Steve
Don't like the Titans ?

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: May 11, 2006 11:56AM

ForeCast “-VS3-” Series -- [Excerpted from: "FORECASTS & GUIDES – A MINI REVIEW" by Cliff Hall [www.rodbuilding.org] 04-14-06]

ForeCast “-VS3-” Series – The VS3’s are the newest pride & joys of the ForeCast Guides, and it is easy to see and feel why. The VS3’s are Batson’s new High-Frame Style, Single-Foot, 3-Legged Spinning Guide. The VS3’s have a high ring height, a low-mass ring, and a low-mass frame. IMO, the real genius of the VS3’s frame is the 3-dimensional "BOW" nature to the ring support. This begins as a folded-corner, V-notch shape stemming from the heel, and gives rise to three upper legs. These 3 legs, when viewed from the side, form a slightly non-planar, 3-dimensional base for the guide ring. These legs, though long, are very sturdy and are relatively low-flex, because of this special 3-D design. The VS3 is one single-foot guide which will act less like a spring, and will preserve its shape under higher loads. The VS3’s truly seem suitable for a wide range of uses, from very light fresh-water rods, to medium-heavy salt-water rods. Consider them for all your Concept Spinning Rod Guides, and for the 180 degree Running Guides in your Spiral Casters or Boat Rods. … Match with “-L-“ (Lite) or “-P-“ (Medium) or “-SU-“ Series Forecast Tip-Tops. " -CMHall+++

A PHOTOGRAPH of these new ForeCast "VS3" Series is INSIDE the FRONT COVER of the FEBRUARY 2006 ROD-MAKER MAGAZINE [RMM-9(1)]. See for yourself. There's like eight different color combinations of ring-frame. These VS3 Guides are PRIMO stuff - I have a bunch of them right here. The Black-frame & Gold-ring are especially nice, IMO.

Order some yourself - you won't be sorry, Bill,
that's for sure. -Cliff Hall+++, FL-USA*****

Date: May 11, 2006 12:05PM

I will Cliff. Thanks. They make good stuff.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: May 11, 2006 12:22PM

Bill - IMO, on a rod blank whose top-end line rating includes 12# line, you can try these 6MM -VS3 Guides for your Running Guides on a Spinning Rod or a Casting Rod (Spiral or Conventional). I haven't put these 6MM on a lighter stick yet, but they are fairly low-mass and low-profile (with respect to rod torque), but have lots more blank clearance than the 6MM FL-Fly guides.

Definitely look at the 8-7-6MM Ring Sizes of ForeCast VS3 Guides as a serious option (and for alternatives to the the usual FLY Guides) for the Running Guides on ANY of your rod blanks with a top-end line rating of 30# or less.

Check the [www.FishSticks4U.com] website for Ring Heights, so you can preview for yourself the proportion of Ring Diameter (OD-ID) and Ring Height. Order one whole VS3 Series in the least expensive Series (the AlOx ring) as a working reference for your rod projects. Then you will know EXACTLY how they size out on your rod blanks. Then you can order the correct size and color without error, if you want to only order on a per-project basis. But, IMO, I think you will like these VS3 Series so much, they will become a core stock item in your Guide inventory. Odering a whole array in the colors you like is inevitable. ... Good Luck, -Cliff Hall+++

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2006 04:27PM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Scott Throop (---.ventca.adelphia.net)
Date: May 11, 2006 11:19PM

I built a redfish rod with them a couple of weeks ago. The best single foot made IMO. These guides are built TOUGH!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.150.200.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 11, 2006 11:25PM

I just ordered some and some fly guides. Should be here about a week. Thanks

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 12, 2006 12:09AM

Just eye balling them at the NW get together they looked to be about the same height as the Titans, wished I had compared them when I had the chance.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster