I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gudebrod 811 C.P. questions
Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.hot.res.rr.com)
Date: May 10, 2006 11:47AM

To date all my rods have been wrapped with NCP or nylon with no CP. I have a bottle of the Gudebrod 811 CP and it says "thin with alcohol - clean up with water"

Having never used CP before, how thin do you want it? It is about like cold maple syrup at the moment. Also, do in need more than one coat? And how long do I need to wait to apply the second coat or finish?

I searched but didn't find the answer to thinning or drying time for this product.

Thanks,

Keith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gudebrod 811 C.P. questions
Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: May 10, 2006 01:42PM

"I searched, but didn't find the answer to thinning or drying time for this product." Keith Neidhart - CHECK YOUR E-MAIL. -Cliff Hall+++

RBO SEARCH = CP 811 [ALL DATES; MSSG BODY + TITLE]
Returned 434 Results, covering 15 Pages ... !!!
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Drying time varies with temperature and amount applied. Only 2 hours between the first and second coat may work. May need more like 6-12 hours in a cold damp room, or stagnant humid air. Wait at least 12-24 hours after the 2nd coat of CP is dry before applying your Thread Finish.

Diluent for Gudebrod CP-811 can be straight De-Natured Alcohol; or a pre-mixed combination of (50% D-NA + 50% ACETONE); or straight Acetone (IF and ONLY IF the rod blank is impervious to Acetone and your thread / colors are unaffected by Acetone). Add the Diluent to your CP-811, to consistency. Hopefully, this will be less than 20% of the volume of your CP-811. WATER is the WORST diluent for CP-811. Using NO diluent at all for your CP is generally preferred.

Good Luck, Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville, FL-USA*****

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 10, 2006 02:11PM

When they say "thin with alcohol" they mean if necessary. I try to avoid thinning anything that I put on a rod unless I have to. I much prefer using products as they were intended by the manufacturer to be used. 811 is a good CP but it is inconsistant in it's viscosity. I have gotten a bottle that was just to thick to soak in and had to be diluted with a small amount of alcohol. Keep in mind that CP is a solid in suspension. by diluting it, you REDUCE the amount of CP solids that available to do the job. Cliff's right on with the times

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.hot.res.rr.com)
Date: May 10, 2006 02:27PM

Apparently I forgot to choose "all dates" in my searching... duley noted!

I did try a test of the CP on a scrap but it is just too thick to be absorbed as it is, which was why I asked how thin it should be...

"Keep in mind that CP is a solid in suspension. by diluting it, you REDUCE the amount of CP solids that available to do the job"

I understand that but if it's too thick to be absorbed, it can't work either, right? So my question still stands... how thick or thin should it be?

After reading the searched results in Cliff's link... I think I'll just wait until Andy's CP is ready. If you guys are getting inconsistent results, I can only imagine what I'll end up with. ...lol

Thanks for the info, you probably saved me from screwing up this rod.

-keith

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 10, 2006 06:00PM

Keith

I have used the 811 CP with inconsistent results also. I bought some Glass Coat CP...and problem solved. Goes on easy, nail polish consistency, decent color retention, and less cussing!!!

Rog

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: May 10, 2006 10:09PM

Glass Coat CP - may no longer be available, or only in limited hit-or-miss supply. Any news on this Glass Coat CP or Epoxy Thread Finish availability? I thought Bingham Enterpiises was the last Vendor - Any updates, fellas? Thanks, Cliff+++

Re: My last 2 queries RE: glasscoat and threadmaster.
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator) ... March 8, 2006 12:27PM
[www.rodbuilding.org]
Glass Coat is history. The company never liked dealing with rod builders in the first place.

Re: Glasscoat availability ... Tom Kirkman (Moderator) ... March 3, 2006
[www.rodbuilding.org]
"The folks at GlassCoat were never high on the custom rod market. Not enough quantity to suit them. It was a good product, but as far as I know, no longer available. Bingham may have some left." -TK.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster