I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

A little off topic....turning lures
Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 09, 2006 12:43PM

Anybody know where I can get some info or a book on turning fishing plugs? Need something that might would show turning techniques and maybe some patterns.

Thanks,
Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A little off topic....turning lures
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 09, 2006 01:03PM

Not aware of any. Boyd Pfeiffer's book has a chapter on making wood lures. Not much on wood turning bodies, however.

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: May 09, 2006 01:51PM

Tuning in most instances is about how the lure runs, weather they track to one side or the other which is fixed by slightly bending the hook eye opposite to how the lure runs, and rechecking it to seeif it runs true and straight thus achieving it total dive depth. Dive depth can be affected by line dia (usually above 10# .011") or hook size, or a leaf hanging on the rear treble will short you half your dive depth. Larger hooks lessen the lures action and resulting dive depth, So too will rod position being either up or down will makes a significant variance in dive depth. The body shape i.e. a wide body wobbles more than a thin flat sided lip less crankbait. The flat sided bait does not wobble as much but it sends out stronger vibtatin farther and appears more healthy where as, a wide body'd wobbling lure looks as if it has a harder tiime getting some place but does not send out a strong vibration to be picked up by the fishes lateral line. The lip style has an input also, the longer the deeper... to a point, another contributing factor is if the lips is angled downward relitive to the body or straight out from the body. The lure than had a lip that is straight out will run deper than an a lure with the same lip length but angled downward. Some attaching swivels have a built in plate o them and alter the flow of water over the lure which results in some loss of depth and wobble

Date: May 09, 2006 02:36PM

Hey Chris...I said "turning" not "tuning". LOL

Thanks for the info anyway! LOL

Posted by: Doug Cox (---.rtmc.net)
Date: May 09, 2006 04:45PM

Here is a good site to check out....mostly salt water plugs, but you can pick up some good tips from these guys [www.striped-bass.com]

Posted by: Herb Bickings (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 09, 2006 04:59PM

You might try here [www.tackleunderground.com] somebody there should be able to help you.

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.ras13.floca.alerondial.net)
Date: May 09, 2006 05:47PM

Steve, I just recieved the spring catalog from Penn State.In it was a page of plug style fishing lures.
NO book, you buy the kit and it comes with instructions for turning, finishing,and painting.
All the hardware comes with the kit but you buy the wood seperate.
If you email me your address I,ll burn you off a copy of the page and send it off to you. Or you can email then and ask for a catalog. www.pennstateind.com.
I had instructions on how to turn plugs out off broom handles, but I can't put my fingers on it now.
This might help you .<<<< DON >>>

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: May 10, 2006 08:38AM

My bad..didn't even cross my mind you would want to turn lures, as the choices are quite limited, in that most lures are asymetrical and turned lures don't allow much variance with you only able to produce a few body types: devel's horse, Zara spook, and segmented larger Musky baits with the basic Zara spook body style.

Date: May 10, 2006 12:30PM

Hey Don,

I got that same catalog in the mail yesterday. Of course after the post. How 'bout that? LOL

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: May 11, 2006 04:09AM

I've turned various bass lures out of basswood in the past, but plan to start making more in the future (I owe one to Raymond Adams for all his rod building help). I started out just getting a mini lathe and a basic how-to-video on turning. From there I just used my imagination on the shapes. Once sanded and sealed I airbrushed patterns on them and applied thread epoxy for a very nice glass like finish. Please feel free to e-mail me direct if I can answer any other questions.

Rich Matranga
Folsom, California

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster