I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
question for experienced rod builders
Posted by: lori friske (---.stx.res.rr.com)
Date: May 09, 2006 08:37AM

Hey there! My "set up" is on its way! Hubby ordered it for me as my Mother's Day Present! My question is this: Did any of you practice wrapping on dowel rods before you actually practiced wrapping on a rod? Or did you immediately practice on a fishing rod? Was wondering if it would help me or not? Any input would be appreciated! You guys are ALWAYS so helpful! :) Thanks!

I dont care who you are...that's funny right there!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: question for experienced rod builders
Posted by: John Bunner (---.dsl.ipltin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 09, 2006 08:48AM

Hello Lori

Welcome to the addiction! As far as wrapping goes, yes I still do practice on a dowel rod. It does not matter what you practice on. Some ppl lay the thread out on a square piece of cardboard that has been covered by two sided tape and then lay out the threads to see how 2 or more colors will work together or just to practice a weave pattern. I like the dowel rods, that way you have an example to show friends/ customers. Hope this helps.

John

Posted by: Kevin Norstuen (---.worldspan.com)
Date: May 09, 2006 08:49AM

I started on rods. If you don't like how it turns out, you can always cut it off and do it again.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.153.217.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 09, 2006 08:51AM

Did hubby get you Tom Kirkman's book on rodbuilding. Very good book for a beginer.
Cheap blanks, old rods, or whatever rod object thin you have laying around the house, it is always good to get in some practice Even practice finishing. Got a subscription to Tom's magizine.

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (162.96.169.---)
Date: May 09, 2006 09:07AM

Hi Lori,

You can experiment a bit with the Paint application in Windows. Just Zoom up to 800% and set it for grid. You can then lay out some cross wraps to see how they are done.

I have done the wooden dowel thing and I would suggest that you put a coat of varnish or something on there or it is pretty hard to pack threads.

Scott

Posted by: Raymond Adams (69.241.124.---)
Date: May 09, 2006 09:15AM

Hi Lori,
I started by cutting off and re-wrapping the guides on old garage sale rods. Very little investment
and nothing to worry about ruining! Also, shows you how factory rods are done.

Wood dowels come in handy for lots of things too!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: May 09, 2006 09:46AM

Wooden dowels & bamboo BBQ skewers are handy for some thread layouts; or for multiple sample epoxy / CP testing, if enough scrap blank is not available.

But for practicing thread wrap starts or stops (tie-offs), a varnished wood or actual rod blank gives better simulation. The wood has much more friction than the gloss coat of a rod blank. IMO, -Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 09, 2006 09:53AM

Lori, I have used both but prefer the rods themselves because of the taper and easier to burnish the threads close.
I was lucky when I first started my business to be just a few blocks away from Harrington Rod Company where I hung out a lot and got plenty of blems and seconds to make samples on. Wood dowels are OK but I recommend a coat of finsih before wrapping especially if you are going to keep it as a sample or reference.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 09, 2006 10:29AM

Any practice is helpful. Proficiency in wrapping has a lot to do with repetition. So the more wraps you make, the better you'll get at it.

One good exercise is to strip old guides from a junker rod and rewrap some new guides on it. You get some practice and somebody gets a refurbished rod.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 09, 2006 10:42AM

Lori,

What they're telling you about the threads not packing easily on a dowel is because of it's finish. Thread doesn't "slide" very easily on raw wood like it does a finished blank. If you don't have access to old blanks, cheap seconds, etc... try some spray varnish on the dowels. Put on a couple of coats before trying to wrap on them and you'll find the threads will move easier if you need to burnish or pack them.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.153.217.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 09, 2006 10:57AM

Sanding the dowel with some 400 grit sand paper should also get it smooth.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 09, 2006 11:05AM

I did the wooden dowel thing, but recently have been introduced to the best practice wrapping tool ever - 1/2" thin walled PVC, the Biege color.

Posted by: Michael E Tanner (---.253.40.1.Dial1.Dallas1.Level3.net)
Date: May 09, 2006 11:11AM

Lori,
A great idea the was posted here once was to make a presentation stick up that has
the different color threads with different finish techniques on it.
like red WITH color preserver and
WITHOUT CP.Then do a metallic thread.Try all of your colors.Keep track of what you do to each one.
Do this on a dark blank and on a light colored one..
After applying the two part Epoxy you will have at least six colors.{Mybe not as much with the metallic thread}
Also pack your threads tight together or that may cause a color change
Do not wrap tight,just pack tight.
With Tom's book and these sticks you will be more than ready to get started.
I was going to build two for my nieces and then attempt one for myself.I found after reading Tom's book and
building one of the rods that I was able to build mine next.
Remember that rod building in one way is like golf and billiards,it takes time to be good at it.
Fit and Finish make the rod.
After you build one idea you can't wait to try the next.
ME Tanner
Longview TX

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: May 09, 2006 11:17AM

I agree with Billy. The PVC pipe works much better than wooden dowels for practice wraps. They're the next best thing to an actual rod for practice, IMO. Have loads of fun!

Stan

Posted by: Steve Buchanan (---.36.102.166.ip.alltel.net)
Date: May 09, 2006 11:36AM

If you are a family of fishermen, like my family, make your first...(and maybe your 2nd, 3rd 4th LOL) customer your own self. As Tom mentioned earlier, re-do the rods you might already have around the house....That's what I did and now all my kids have split grip spiral wrapped $10.00 Zebco rods LOL

Steve Buchanan

Steve's Custom Rods

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 09, 2006 11:50AM

Lori, I'd go along with 1/2" PVC Practice wrapping guides, make up some color sticks and practice, practice. Here is some basic wrapping info that will help [www.leapinbass.com] I hope that you got Tom Kirkman's book!!

What kind of set up did you end up getting??? What type rods will you be making?

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: May 09, 2006 11:55AM

In addition to the above, look into unfinished blank specials, and maybe even check with Neal's Fishing and see what he has for scrap pieces. I got a nice assortment of broken blanks for very cheap. They make great practice pieces for wrapping but more importantly, will also let you practice other areas that you might want to get involved in later like cutting, sanding, painting, making grip extensions, etc. They are also great to break in half to practice repairs.

Date: May 09, 2006 03:10PM

Hey there! Luckily my husband has friends that are fishermen as well. So some of them are going to let me wrap their rods for them as well. We also have a friend who lives a couple hrs. away and he is wrapping a G-Loomis rod for my husband. When we go pick it up, he is HOPEFULLY going to show me a few things. Thanks to you ALL for your wonderful advice as well as helpful hints. GREATLY APPRECIATED! :)

Date: May 10, 2006 05:19PM

Because of me wanting to turn this addicting hobby into a business, I would like to keep samples to show customers or friends. Luckily, my Husband's friends are willing to let me wrap their rods for them also. So am looking forward to getting started. I have not gotten Tom Kirkman's book....YET, but am getting one by Dale Clemens. Since the one by Mr. Kirkman is so highly recommended I think it might be in my best interest to look into that one also.

As far as making the samples and keeping them, would you recommend me do them on PVC pipe or dowel rods? Is there really a difference or just matter of personal preference?

Thank you for ALL your help! It is GREATLY appreciated!

And I also live in an area where I will be starting on Trout/Redfish rods, then possibly onto larger "surf rods" or even offshore/boat rods. What size thread is recommended? Have heard I should use A, but recently found out that sometimes on the larger surf rods, people use C or D. Was wondering if you might have any advice for that? Again, GREATLY appreciated! I am soaking all of this information up like a sponge. Am ready to "get my hands dirty"!

Thank you SO MUCH!

Soon to be fellow rod builder
Lori :)

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 10, 2006 05:51PM

Lori, Clemens book is very good, but at this point in your "career", I think that Tom Kirkman's book will be much more of a help to you.

I would pretty much stick with A thread, at least for now. I don't build surf rods but I do know that guys like Billy Vivona, Michael Joyce, etc, use Madeira on them and that is actually a little smaller than A.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster