I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

FEATHER INLAY ON CORK GRIPS
Posted by: Danny Ross (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 08, 2006 10:04PM

Hey guys,

I've ssen some photos of fly/spey rods with "feather inlays" on the cork grip itself. Could someone explain to me this process. I'm guessing that they are applied with something like cork seal or the such. Are thee "inlays" durable. or are they a waste of time? I think they look neat, just not sure how durable they could be. I'd hate to think that u would have to coat the cork with a coat of finish, I think it would take away the astetics of the cork. Thanks in advance for any info.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information,which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
- Herbert Spencer

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FEATHER INLAY ON CORK GRIPS
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 08, 2006 10:21PM

Danny,
Where did you see the photos you are talking about? i Just
looked at all 13 pages of the Feather Inlays photo catagory
here and dont see what you are refering to.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Danny Ross (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 08, 2006 10:51PM

Ray,

I have a pic of a JP Ross Spey rod that has Phesent church window feathers 'inlayed" on the cork grip. I'm not sure if its ok for me to post the pic in the gallery, being that its a company's rod and not having permission to do so.(i guess i'm being paranoid) They sent it to me a while ago, before i started wrapping rods, when I was looking into buying a new spey rod.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 08, 2006 11:27PM

Hi again Danny,

If that rod belongs to you now there is no reason you cant post a photo ( at least I cant think of one)
of it.
If you like that technique give it a wurl on a test piece and see if you really like it. Personally, I have
never seen anything inlayed in cork and I dont think I would like it. But who knows? I have seen
things inlayed in Ivory, wood, etc. accent pieces but not the cork itself.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.168.66.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 09, 2006 06:59AM

If it is a cast or spin handle I can not see why not. A thin base of clear, inlay, another coat of clear Some people do not like the clear on handles ??

Posted by: Scott Redmond (---.kalmbach.com)
Date: May 09, 2006 12:23PM

I tried this on a rod I built earlier this year. It's on the photo page at [www.rodbuilding.org] I sealed the cork and then wrapped tan thread around it with black trim bands. I then covered the thread with epoxy- let it dry, laid the feathers with CP and recoated with epoxy. It was entirely experimental but I think it turned out okay. I also recently inlayed a feather on a wood handle with CP and then coated with flex coat lite. This seemed to work well. Not sure that this could be done without covering with a finish.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster