I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
How much finish do you mix , in what, for what?
Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 08, 2006 07:56PM

Thought about all the different rods being built out there from 1wt fly to 100lb class offshore and about the huge difference in the amount of finish a person uses in one mix/batch.

Newer builders could learn a little bit about common practices by others, based on rods they normally build.

Just put finish on a Rainshadow SW 1088 conv.surf rod with 8 guides, and butt wrap. I mixed a total 15cc of finish in one of those 1oz. graduated mixing ups by pouring the lightly heated finish and "eyeballing" my measuring point. Thats my common batch/mix. A second coat of equal measurement will be needed for a total of 30cc of finish mixed for this rod. I always lightly heat the finish and use the rounded end of a cheap disposable brush to mix.

30cc of finish= 1 oz

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How much finish do you mix , in what, for what?
Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 08, 2006 08:15PM

I always make a 5cc total mix(that is 2 1/2 each). I mix it in the plastic cup slowly with the brush. I usually only do about 1/2 of the rod at a time then mix a new batch. I have heard many people have trouble doing the finish work the way I do but it just works for me. What few bubble I do get are dispensed with the alcohol burner which is another no-no that works for me. I think the best thing for people to do is experiment and get something that works for them then stay with it until it breaks.

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 08, 2006 08:34PM

Michael,

The type rod you build and the number of guides on the rod determine how much finish you need. I too, warm my finish prior to application. I also use those 1 oz. "pill" cups to mix my finish but I measure my finish components with a syringe. I build mostly freshwater rods 6.5 to 9 ft. it depends on how thick I want the finish to be. I just got done appling finish to the guides and a short butt wrap on a 7 ft. (7guides) IP 841. I removed excess finish with a cut plastic credit card (AKA a Mike Barkley doctor knife) to thin the coating thickness. I mixed a total volume of 4 cc's and had a little left over. At his point I don't know if I will apply a second coat, but if I do I'll mix 4 cc. in a new batch of finish tomorrow. By the same token, I built a surf rod similar to what you discribed with a butt wrap and I mixed 12 cc's and came up short by about 3 cc's. I rarely mix over 6 cc's on the freshwater rods I build. I use syringes in the top of the finish bottles and never remove them. (I also learned this trick from Mike Barkely) I have never had a bad batch of finish yet. Syringes are very accurate when it comes to measuring finish. Experience dictates how much finish to mix but it is also better to make a little extra than come up short. I would not recommend trying to mix less than 3 cc. total. You leave yourself too much room for measuring errors. I have used both the Flexcoat and U-40 syringes without problems.

Ed Smith

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 08, 2006 08:41PM

I always mix 3cc of each component for a total mix of 6cc
this will generally complete the first coat on most rods I
build (6ft U/L to 81/2ft salmon/St.head rods) unless I do
a large butt wrap and then a second mix has to be applied.\

I always have unused finish left over and have tried marbling
switch plates bic lighters and such with it. ( gee thanks Putter!)

I use high build formulas and sometimes 1 coat is sufficient
and sometimes not.

I use syringes and the graduated plastic cups for mixing and
also mix by hand. (no auto-mixer yet)

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: May 08, 2006 08:48PM

I normally make up enough resin with a percentage extra to suit each project.
One guide will use about a CC, so I'll eyeball 1/2 of each.
A flyrod will use 6CC of resin, so I will mix 8.
A steelhead float rod will use 10CC of resin, so I'll make 12.
A trolling rod will use 12CC, so I'll make 14.
The extra so I can apply flood coats to each wrap, let drain into the pot, and have enough left at the end to stick with that idea.
Also: in case I get a dreaded "bald spot" on a wrap, for a quick re-touch, and as a coal mine canary, to check on the set of the resin.
I'll periodically poke and diddle with the remainder, and when it's set, I know the rod is too.
High-tech resin is pennies per CC of use.
Glasscoat comes to just over 44 cents CAD a CC.
When I get to trying Threadmaster, once the GC is gone, it will be less, about .30 cents a CC.
I use a brand new, white, ice cube tray....2 for a dollar at the dollar store.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2006 08:54PM by Ken Driedger.

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dllstx.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 08, 2006 08:54PM

I usually mix 3 -5 cc and do as Doc. I only coat 1/2 the wraps before mixing another batch at 3 - 5 cc.

The butt wrap is usually done first, then the wraps.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: May 08, 2006 09:06PM

I always mix 3 cc of resin and 3 cc of hardener. My preferred finish epoxy is now ThreadMaster, though I still like LS Supreme Hi-Build a lot.. A homemade epoxy mixer is used. For threadMaster, a 3/4 th inch ball bearing does the mixing in a 1 oz. condiment cup. Finish is applied with one of Joe Kassuba's spatulas.

Sometimes I do a rod with two batches of finish epoxy - one for the butt wrap and another for the guide wraps (i.e. on a 10.5' surf rod). My goal is to enjoy the hobby and not get rushed by it. Besides, I'm a bit lazy and don't like having to feel rushed in my senior years.

Stan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2006 03:46PM by Stan Gregory.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 08, 2006 09:09PM

Most rods I mix 3ccs of each part. On offshore trolling rods I usually go 6ccs of each part. Some very large surf rods too. If a large and long butt wrap is there, then also might do 6ccs of each. I usually do the entire rod with the same batch but I move pretty fast.

I use a plastic cup to mix in. Apply from the same cup. That's just me.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.27.96.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: May 08, 2006 09:22PM

On my average rod (FW spincast), I use 3cc's of each, in the standard graduated cup or a plastic condiment cup (got a bag of a few hundred and cant remember where.. but they work), with either the mixing sticks that come with the graduated cups, a brush handle or my crab fork.. whatever I happen to grab when mixing. The most I mix at a time is 5cc's, and that is for big dia. rods (around 20mm at butt) that have a pretty long buttwrap and/or split grip wrap.

Date: May 08, 2006 09:50PM

There's no right or wrong in this thread.....its all about how YOU fo it.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 08, 2006 09:57PM

I do think you'll get a better and faster mix by using a wider, flatter mixing stick. A small, round stick won't get the job done nearly as quickly. But it will get the job done.

I first starting using a motorized mixer not in order to get rid of bubbles, but because of the quantity of finish I was having to mix for all the trolling rods I was doing at the time. So I'd measure the epoxy, plop the cup in the machine and then go over and ready the rod - get it level, get out a brush, adjust my lighting etc. By the time I got that done, my finish was ready to go.

Posted by: Jeffrey Wolfanger (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: May 08, 2006 10:01PM

I'll get laughed at for this but oh well....3 squirts of A and 3 squirts of B.

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 08, 2006 10:03PM

I use the plastic mixing cups and popicle sticks to mix, I turn the cup not the stick and get no bubbles. Mix for 2-3 minutes. One dram of each usually, if a butt is involved, then 5 cc of each. Always do the entire rod with one batch. I use Classic coat. Never have to heat to get rid of bubbles cause I don't get bubbles. I use the cheapo yellow and purple brushes.

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.20.29.71.ip.alltel.net)
Date: May 08, 2006 10:37PM

I mix in a plastic cup, then wipe it out good with a coffee filter. Been using the same cup a long time. Mix with a McDonald's coffee stirrer, then pour the finish into a depression in a wooden block lined with foil. Blow it a couple of times with a McDonald's straw (what would I do without them), and the bubbles go right away.
Usually, my basement stays pretty cold, so I put the finish in a bowl of warm water for a little while.
Usually, I mix 2 or 1 1/2 cc of each, and have enough to do the guides and a butt wrap. I have gotten pretty quick, and the finish doesn't give me any problems hardening. When I started it did, and I found the solution was to keep the room a little warmer, and work faster.
Steve Broadwell

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.27.96.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: May 08, 2006 11:23PM

Tom, I agree with you about the little round mixing sticks. Using them does require a lot more time and attention than the bigger things. I prefer the "spatula" end of my crab fork but I still use the skinny stick a lot. I think I do it just to keep me humble. The only real way to know that the finish is mixed is visual. The skinny sticks also do make a lot more bubbles, but I don't apply from the cup. I pour it out and blow out the bubbles. If the finish has bubbles in the tray, you'll have bubbles on the thread. The only problems I've had with blowing out bubbles is blowing a string of drool into the finish. (Hey, I KNOW other guys have done it.. I think....I hope).

I think that finish is the bane, and the pride, of builders all over. Personally, I think the best wrap in the world can be ruined by a bad finish job.

This discussion is very cool. I think it demonstrates that while there are certain rules that have to be followed, it also shows that when you find something that works, stick with it. What works for one may not work for another. The worst finish job I ever had in my life, which required a complete strip, was when I followed the techniques of a master to the letter, a method that I was not familiar with.

A lot of this craft can be accomplished by simply following direction, but IMO, finishing really requires experience. Basic guidelines can be set, but practice really comes into play here. And finish is like the paint job on a car or wearing a suit. First impressions mean everything.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 09, 2006 12:32AM

Well said Mick!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: May 09, 2006 04:57AM

Little round mixing stick bashers!!!! Its what works for me.....8 drams at a time.lol

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.168.66.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 09, 2006 07:15AM

Usually 2-6 CC of finish, half a Popsicle stick. Helps with bubbles. Also just a tiny thinner - bubbles - Ya I know. Guide wraps first - two thin coats. Done. Then I do a butt wrap

Also I think the hand turning a couple of times works great. Especially on butt wraps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2006 10:25AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dfw.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 09, 2006 07:45AM

I agree with Mick! Besides, I still drool... I mean blow on my finish to release bubbles.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 09, 2006 09:26AM

I have teh syringes right in teh cap of each part, so all I need to do is flip the bottle upside down, and pull theplunger. I mix in a shot glass, wipe it out with a paper towel when I'm done, and re-wipe with an slcohol mistened paper towel after that. Same shot glass has lasted me 3 years.

I am cheap, I'll mix as little as 1/2CC of each part, but usually will do 1CC of each. For buttt wraps I'll use 2CC. If I'm doing multiple rods, I'll double the amount. I've been able to put a primary coat on 4 rods guides with 3CC of each part.

Add epoxy to my ever growing list of stuff I'm afraid to waste, lol.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster