I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Specs on butt wraps
Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: May 08, 2006 08:41AM

I'm curious what are the commen lengths, number of repeats, size of blank you normally work on. Also - do you mostly do square patterns, compressed, elongated, etc. Any info will be helpful.

For me, I usually do 5 repeats of a pattern, and the diameter of the blanks I work on range from 40-52mm - but I have done a few on much smaller diameter, and larger. The length of most of my wraps in front of the foregrip is between 175 and 250mm; again, I've done a few longer than that.

On a split grip where I put a wrap between the grips, I try to squeeze in 3 full patterns, on the top side of the blank, and 2 full on the bottom. The space between grips for most of my split rods has been between 100-140mm, and the diameter has been between 42-48mm.

If you don't keep exact records of everything, that's fine. Any info you are willing to share will help me out. Even if you say I do 8 repeats on Musky rods, or fly rods - it will help me out.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Specs on butt wraps
Posted by: eric riggs (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 08, 2006 08:49AM

OK.....I do 8 to 10 repeats on 11' lamiglas graphite surf rods (fat) that works out to be about 18 or so inches in front of the foregrip, longer if I wrap multiple patterns.
As far as patterns...I'm working my way through Dale's book, skipping around, and sometimes altering the pattern with thread colour.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 08, 2006 09:22AM

That's hard to say, at least for me, because depending on the rod type I've often had to conform to the space I had to work with. On some trolling rods or stand up rods, you don't have much room between the grip and the first guide. So I can't get in as many repeats.

I like elongated patterns so I rarely compress anything. I really just go by eye as to how long the pattern needs to be to look good per the diameter and length of the blank. I've done 14 inchers on long surf rods and 4 inchers on freshwater UL rods.

I do generally make my tie-offs so that the pattern is split on the same side of the rod. I usually do it on the side opposite the guides. Of course, this means that on a spinning rod the guy is looking at the split pattern side when fishing. Oh well.

The idea of doing a large, very intricate non-repeating pattern (just one large one on top, two split patterns tied off on the bottom) has always appealed to me but I've never done it. Just never got around to it. It would have to be a very large blank in order for it to come across well.

On another note, in the volume 9 #3 issue of RodMaker due out next month, I'm running a photo of a wrap Buddy Owens did many years ago. It's a nice wrap, but nothing earthshattering by today's standards. Just a closed multi-pattern with chevrons. But... and what you can't tell just by looking at the wrap in the photo, it was done with 00 thread on a tiny ultra-light blank that has a diameter smaller than a pencil - just under 3/16th inch OD. I used 4X magnification to take the photo. You can see each individual thread. It's perfect, but only really impressive when you know the scale it was done on. I'm sure most who see the photo will assume it's D thread on a much larger blank.

Frankly, I wouldn't bother doing something like that on such a small blank - most guys over 40 don't see well enough to appreciate it. Not sure I could do it that well anyway. I don't see that well anymore either.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.150.popsite.net)
Date: May 08, 2006 09:39AM

Usually small fly and spin blanks. Try with name and rod info, to keep the wrap about 4-6" long with about 4-6 repeats. Like the pamphlet and definitely will get the book ?? Collecting info for it.

Date: May 08, 2006 11:22AM

Thanks. quite a few people do long wraps on the surf rods. I guess all that space between the foregrip & first guide "has to" be filled.

Yes Bill, I'm compiling info for something I want to try and add for the book. I know what I do and most of my friends do, but I now see I have to expand what I was planing on to accomodate the surf guys. hopefully I'll be able to figure something out because I think it would be a great addition.

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dllstx.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 08, 2006 02:54PM

Most all my butt wraps are somewhere between 4 and 6 inches. I generally run 5 to 6 repeats of a pattern. I like elongated and square patterns.

I don't do many closed wraps, because I don't have many customer's willing to pay for my time. So most are either chevrons or diamonds done on 4 axis to match the wraps..

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 08, 2006 03:49PM

SW stuff:

square spacing 6-7 patterns 250-280mm in length, generally around 15mm diameter

FW spin/cast

Square, again 6-7 patterns 160-180mm long, around 10mm in diameter

Fleaflickers

square, 6-7 patterns, 120-140 mm long, 5mm diameter

...I see a common "ratio" there.

What sort of blank are you wrapping that has a diameter of 52mm? Baseball bat?lol.

Tom, looking forward to seeing the next issue with a Buddy Owens wrap. Did you take any shots of the wrap next to a 10 penny nail or pencil for reference?

Date: May 08, 2006 03:51PM

Uh....I meant circumference, lol. I think those bats do have about a 52mm diameter though, 2 3/4". Calstar's withe 16-18mm diameters = 50-55mm.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 08, 2006 03:52PM

What a great idea that is. I didn't but maybe after it runs I can go back over and take one that way for the photo board. It's his personal rod so he's still got it.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 08, 2006 09:04PM

I dont do but a dozen rods a year and am always trying
different things right now so I dont have a standard or
regular way right now. I do like long butt wraps and about
8 - 12 repeats are common and spacing depends on pattern
of course. When possible, I like to do all or most of my thread
art BEFORE the seat and grips are permently installed. This
means many more patterns are wrapped then are actually
seen sometimes.

I build U/L, L, and M/H rods. A large tip would be a 6.5 and
butt diameter of a bit over 5/8 or smaller

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: May 09, 2006 07:05AM

I try for 5 to 7 repeats on butt wrap, and they are usually around 7 inches long. Butt diameters, quite a wide range, ice rods 1/8 inch, fly rods 5/16 to 3/8", md lite walleye rods 7/16:, MH pike rods 9/16", and a musky rod I am working on now a bit over 3/4" and doing this one split grip(lotsa thread). I usually wrap square patterns. The really small diameter ice rods are strictly chevron work., way to small for anymore detail than that.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 09, 2006 09:27AM

Thanks again, I'm glad I asked because I need to do a little re-thinking with all these long wraps.

Posted by: Grant Darby (169.204.109.---)
Date: May 09, 2006 11:29AM

One more...4-6 repeats, always closed on, most on 12-16mm blanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster