I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

need help with reel seat
Posted by: craig johnson (---.tpgi.com.au)
Date: May 06, 2006 02:42AM

hi how is everyone, i am new 2 rod building, i have a loose reel seat, is there a easy way 2 reglue it?
any help would be great, thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: need help with reel seat
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 06, 2006 05:42AM

Dril a 1/4" hole (or 2) in the seat (on the bottom where the reel will hide it) and shoot in some epoxy. Good as new

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: May 06, 2006 07:46AM

Like Mike says. If the seat is near the diameter of the blank, be especially careful of drilling through the blank, too, though. Turn the seat as you inject the epoxy to get the adhesive all around the rod blank/seat assembly. Warming the mixed epoxy adhesive in the microwave gets it thinner in consistency (more like water) and lots easier to use with the syringe. Be prepared, though-have all your ducks in a row because this will make the adhesive set much faster once it's heated. Use a drill size to the same as the tip of the syringe and use at least two holes as far apart as possible or even three holes.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nas84.newark2.nj.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: May 06, 2006 09:37AM

Even with a larger hole I have over filled the hole, let it dry, filed threads in the epoxy, then colored it with a marker so it was not that noticeable

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 06, 2006 03:36PM

Oops!! Thanks for catching that, Putter!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: May 06, 2006 05:39PM

Ahhhh. the old resin under the reel seat trick......I did it once, and once only.... it turns out I drilled right on top of the arbors, and had a $%^& of a time trying to inject resin into, through, and around the arbors !!!!
These days, I just remove about 2-3 inches of cork, move the reel seat back, (or ahead if the case says the front corks), re-bond the reel seat with a free-flowing resin, and replace the corks.
Works for me.... your mileage may vary.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster