I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

double edged razor blades
Posted by: Jeffrey Wolfanger (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: May 05, 2006 08:49PM

Where can I get doubled edged razor blades Michaels doesn't carry these. Thanks,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: double edged razor blades
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2006 08:56PM

Your neighborhood grocery store/pharmacy.

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.20.29.71.ip.alltel.net)
Date: May 05, 2006 09:03PM

I recently bought 15 at Wally World for about $3.50. These are MUCH sharper than the single edge blades. I made a little holder out of a folded business card and masking tape, and can use both edges. I am using one edge per rod, but I believe I could get two rods out of one edge.
Steve Broadwell

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: May 05, 2006 09:03PM

Wal~Mart is where I get mine.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: May 05, 2006 09:08PM

I guess tomorrow I too will go to Wal-Mart. I was tying Borski sliders last night and trying to trim the heads with single edge blades. It doesn't work very well.

Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: May 06, 2006 02:40AM

I tried the blades at the dollar store, but brand name blades are sharper. One of the Wal Marts near me doesn't carry them any more but the other one does. Like so many other things I like the day of the double edge razor blades are numbered. Oh well.............I will just grow a full beard.......smile.......Not very funny but it's late and I am too lazy to go in the shop and work.........

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: May 06, 2006 07:20AM

I found them at CVS pharmacy and usually cut them in two with an old scissors. However, I prefer the Personna hair shaping blades found at beauty shop suplly stores, such as Sally Hansen's. They are the sharpest blades I've come across. Bill Stevens and Jim Upton both recommended the hair shaping Personna blades.

Stan

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: May 06, 2006 07:22PM

I just use the pencil flame butane torch, and melt the plastic on the 2-bladed disposable plastic ones.... the ones seen most around here is the twin bladed gillette, or bic. 10 for a buck, for 20 blades. A quick hit with the butane, so as not to combust the plastic, and the plastic softens and recedes far enough to extract the blades. It took longer to type this than to get some. Works for me. Your mileage may vary.

Posted by: dave schaub (---.ev1.net)
Date: May 06, 2006 10:51PM

I never took apart one of the track II type blades. Are they large enough to get ahold of with
masking tape and some kind of holder?
Dave

Date: May 07, 2006 01:37AM

Hi, Dave.... you can just hang on to them, as they are one edged, just over 1/4" wide (I'm guessing), and what....an inch across? I like them because they are really thin, and can conform to all kinds of radii....they are nice and sharp, too.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 07, 2006 09:49AM

I believe they are referring to the old fashioned razor blade with a blade on each end and no handle.Not a disposable razor .

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Date: May 07, 2006 10:51AM

Quite possible, Fred, but I was replying to Dave's post, where he wanted more info on the destructive engineering of the disposable style...I am unfamiliar with the track two branding, but I would assume it's a throw-away one-sided twin blade?

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: May 08, 2006 05:40AM

I shave with the old fashioned double edge blades as well as using them on thread. As spencer said, they are everywhere. I get mine while grocery shopping.

Posted by: larry basilio (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 08, 2006 09:01PM

I use a dubble edge blade called Personna . I seen carpet guys use them .

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.153.217.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: May 09, 2006 09:21AM

I have one single edge blade and if it gets dull, I run it on a piece of 400-600 sand paper. Works great !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster