I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Fly flingers - Help!
Posted by: Mel Baldwin (---.fmtc.com)
Date: May 05, 2006 01:26PM

I posted a couple of pictures to show the color of guide wraps that I might use on a Rainshadow black matte fly rod. The rod will be a raffle item at my family reunion later this summer. The hardware is nickel silver & the guides are single foot chrome. I've only wrapped the ferrule, the stripper & one guide & I'm concerned about my choice of thread. It's HT metallic aquamarine & silver. Is it a poor choice for a true fly fisherman? Would it be more appropriate to use more subdued colors? I've already completed a Rainshadow black matte spinning rod for the reunion that I wrapped in garnet & gold metallic. It has gold hardware & gold framed guides. Any comments & suggestions would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly flingers - Help!
Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: May 05, 2006 01:30PM

What is a '"True Flyfisherman"?

This could be interesting.

Posted by: Mel Baldwin (---.fmtc.com)
Date: May 05, 2006 01:37PM

Billy,
Probably just about anyone other than me. People who know how to use a fly rod proficiently amaze me. I have limited skills with a fly rod. I've contributed a lot of flies to brush & trees in the northwest on small rivers & streams.

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: May 05, 2006 01:40PM

Mel,

I think it looks nice. It will be a bit flashy. I wouldn't use all metallic HT myself on a rod I'm going to use on small water for fear of scaring a fish or 2..... for general use I don't think it will make a difference.

True fly fisherman..................One who comes home late and tells his wife honest honey I was out drinkin with the guys...then we went to a seedy bar where we met some girls...I wasn't fishing again. But she knows........LOL

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: May 05, 2006 01:49PM

Mel,

Never met a flyfisher who hasn't hooked a good tree bass....as long as you get the fly to the fish.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: May 05, 2006 03:41PM

I am not a fan of metallic thread on a fly rod. And aside from looks, I don't trust metallic wraps to hold single foot guides fly guides either. I have looked at a lot of fairly high end fly rods and don't see much metallic used. When I do my own rods I don't use CP either. I do use NCP for the trim wraps. The fly fishing community is pretty conservative and most rod manufactures go understated rather than bold with the trim.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 05, 2006 03:44PM

Why not think about just the Silver thread with maybe 3 to 5 turns of thread before the guide foot & a minimal butt wrap. Black & Silver. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2006 03:49PM

I've used metallic thread on saltwater rods, but the only fly rod I've used it on was the Lamiglas Perigee blanks that were a little flashy anyway.
I really like garnet and silver on grey blanks.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nas100.newark2.nj.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: May 05, 2006 06:13PM

Keep the silver and get a regular nylon close to your base wrap. No CP Then keep the silver as thin as you can.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 05, 2006 06:35PM

Mel, Go with Madeira fluorescents and metallics and really throw the fly police into overdrive!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: May 05, 2006 06:41PM

A flashing light on the tip top. LOL

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.255.42.72.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: May 05, 2006 07:27PM

Mel,
I have stood near the mouth of the Mattole River in Humboldt County California with the rain coming in horizontally and fly fished for salmon and Stelhead for hours. I have fished in ponds, lakes, and the ocean for all sorts of fish with a flyrod. As a bumper sticker I once idolized read, Flyfishing is the most fun you can have standing up. I belong to that group of fanatic fly fishers who prefers to flyfish than eat. I make flyrods which I believe are very traditional with a few minor adaptations to the use of modern materials.

I don't think that your colors are extreme. I just finished two green Rainshadow pack rods for a customer who gave me the freedom to choose thread colors. I wrapped the rods with two-toned classic twist rust/black with teal trim. I chose for the guides TiCH frames with TiN coated zirconia rings. The reel seat was also TiCH with a wood insert.

Like another respondent posted, I also don't care for metallic thread for the wraps because I have always had trouble crushing the metallic coating and exposing the under thread. I recently changed the type of tension device and I might give the metallics another chance.
For my own personal choice, I would not like a 6 axis diamond butt wrap on a fly rod--even if it were composed of brown, beige, tan, and black . I think a simpler butt wrap would look better.

I have made several rods from black blanks. One of my favorite combinations is to use red/black two-toned classic twist with a bright yellow (sunshine) as trim. A trim is meant as an accent color to contrast with the wrap colors. I personally think many of the high end commercial rods such as Orvis, T&T, and Winston are pretty boring.

One thing about fly fishers is that we are an independent lot and don't care much about the opinions of others about style. Our goal is too cast narrow loops accurately and with some level of grace while doing so--and once is a while catch a trout (or whatever).

Go with your metallic aquamarine.

Mike Blomme

Date: May 05, 2006 07:49PM

Ya sit in church - and - think about fly fishing
Go fly fishing - think about God.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: May 05, 2006 09:18PM

Mel,
I don't see anything wrong with your guide wraps. They look good to me. I have a rod that I used the Electric thread on and have not had any problems with it.

Posted by: Sammy Mickel (64.53.8.---)
Date: May 05, 2006 09:44PM

If you want to please the purist go with outdated snake guides and chestnut or burgundy color threads with no cp. If you want a good reaction get Billy to suggest a pattern and then let him make a eva grip with some wicked inlay. I'm sure a few guys will get chocked up over that.

Posted by: Stan Grace (69.146.116.---)
Date: May 06, 2006 12:09AM

I like Sulky black metallic as a fly rod wrap and I use a lot more metallic trim since discovering the Sulky metallic threads. Interestingly many of my friends that always prefered the stealth look as a tradition for their fly rods have come around for a bit more flash after seeing rods that offer a bit of contrast. I now experiment with my own rods and use colors that I enjoy and have yet to receive a ticket for non conforming.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 06, 2006 05:45AM

They'll be coming for you, Stan!!!!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: sam fox (---.jan.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 06, 2006 07:44AM

Go ahead and use whatever pleases you, this is the beauty of a custom rod, it"s yours and you can do it any way you want. Later if you don't like it you can change it. I agree with Stan, I have made a lot of fly rods using metalics, especially the blacks, blues, silver & gold. I used it for my own rods and then some of my customers started asking for it. I don't believe I've scared too many fish. Yes Mike, the fly conformist police will probably be coming for me too.

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 06, 2006 12:08PM

I agree with Stan. Sulky Metallics are much more user friendly than Gudbrod. Easier to wrap around a small diameter. Great colors too, although not a big selection. As for color selection... I encourage you to go with what looks good to you. Do lots of comparison tests and search the photo archives and let your own eyes decide. Show your true colors.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: May 06, 2006 02:36PM

You have to go stealthy on the wraps, the neon yellow, orange, whatever lines we wave around and chuck in the water don't count. LOL.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster