I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cutting long cork rear grips?
Posted by: Bill Fortune (167.127.107.---)
Date: May 05, 2006 11:59AM

Apparently I didn't register correctly the first time so my first post was deleted, so I'll try my question again.

I'm putting together my first steelhead rod and it has a 13" rear grip. I have made shorter spinning rods with shorter rear grips but they can still be difficult to ream evenly throughout the grip due to the length. My question is, can the rear grip be cut in half to make reaming easier? I figured I could mark each half, then cut it, then ream each half and epoxy each half separately. What I'm not sure of is whether it will be noticeable that the grip was cut. I use rod bond and it seems to bind everything tightly together.

Thanks,
Bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cutting long cork rear grips?
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 05, 2006 12:38PM

If you make a clean cut and clamp tight when you glue it back together, it should be fine!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: May 05, 2006 01:23PM

There will be a problem when you ream - more than likely you will not 100% ream teh 2 pieces exactly on center, adn when you glue the 2 pieces back the seam will have a high and a low spot. Not a big deal, but you can sand it smooth, provided there isn't too much of a lip.

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: May 05, 2006 01:44PM

I've heard of people predrilling the rings to get then close to the size they need....my suggestion would be to number the rings predrill...glue em up and then you will have very little reaming. You may have to build up the mandrel with masking tape before turning.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: May 05, 2006 01:59PM

Bill,

Bosh makes a 16" long spade bit in all sizes and after bying these I have had no trouble drilling or reaming cork, I drill to size and then wrap sand paper on the next size down and ream and smooth out the inside of the cork. Remember to allways go slow and easy with cork. Hope this helps.

Posted by: Bill Fortune (167.127.104.---)
Date: May 05, 2006 03:33PM

I'm glad I asked here. You guys know your stuff. I didn't think about the reaming of each section not being exactly on center and then my 2 pieces not lining up exactly. If I ream each piece close, sanding sounds like my best option but now I'm worried I could end up with an odd shaped rear grip if I'm not careful.

Any other suggestions on reaming a long pre-made rear grip?

Thanks,
Bill

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.povn.com)
Date: May 05, 2006 03:43PM

Make a longer reamer out of an old section of rod blank. Cover with sandpaper or glue grit onto the section. This will keep your handle to blank fit tapered and make a better fit. Also, no need to cut the cork ans worry about the splice.

Joe Douglas

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.150.popsite.net)
Date: May 05, 2006 09:00PM

Should work fine. Cut in the center. Clean the ends off with some 220 dry and a block to keep it square. Fit each piece on the rod as a front and back. Reem each to fit there location on the blank. Then glue back together with a good amount of pressure.

Make sure it does not turn or angle but be streight.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: May 07, 2006 01:59PM

Bill and Joe gave your best answers. That is if you cannot get a longer reamer. What I do when I cut my cork is I take 1/4 inch masking tape and lay it on the edge of a cork seam. I use 4 wraps of tape. I use the tape as a straight edge. Then I cut the cork using a utility cutting blade. I roll the cork over the blade edge using just a little pressure to cut the seam. I also mark both cork rings on each side of the seam and use these marks as alignment points when I place the cork back together. When re-glueing, leave a small gap space from the outer edge of the cork ring that is glue free. This will eliminate a glue ring. When camping the 2 halves of the handle back together and you see glue seeping out, remove the clamp pressure. Using denatured alcohol and clean up the glue line. Also you only have to glue one ring if you use Rod Bond
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster