I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flocking Problems....HELP!
Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.ma-cambridg0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: May 03, 2006 07:16PM

Just over a year ago I bought a flocking kit at the show. I was really excited to use it so I used it on a grip for myself. Well, I followed the directions in the kit and in Rodmaker to the tee. I left the grip for over three days and then came back to it and it peeled off. All off! Even on the seat. I am sure it was for about six days. The adhesive was really sticky like an old sucker. I got ahold of Donjer and explained what I did and they sent me a can of new adhesive. I did a couple of test on cork rings with again no luck. So I put the kit away for a year. Well, I still would like some flocked grips. I recently pulled the kit out to try some more test. First, I took some burl cork, lightly sanded the rings, and then blew off the dust. I then gave the rings a very light coat of the adhesive with a foam brush. I did this around the 23rd of April. The second test on burl I did the same but before the adhesive, I coated the cork with U40 cork seal two times. The next day in the evening I again gave the cork a light coat of adhesive. This was Sunday. Both test samples are really tacky still. Just like an old sucker. If you grip the samples and give a quik squeeze, they will stick to your hand upside down. Some of the adhesive after a squeeze will come off in your hand. Any ideas? Or should I hire Bill Stevens? lol

Below is a link to the grip I lost
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flocking Problems....HELP!
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 03, 2006 07:37PM

If you'll notice in the article in RodMaker, mention is made of sealing the surface with a coat of color preserver. Try that and see how it works for you then.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 03, 2006 07:46PM

Lance@swamplandrods.com can fix you up if you don't figure out
what the problem is. I have a donjer kit but have not cracked it yet.
I'm following this thread closely!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Richard Rippe (---.med.unc.edu)
Date: May 04, 2006 01:36PM

Jim, this is perfect. Go ahead and mount the grips and all on your rod as they are. Now you'll never have an excuse when you loose that big one cause you dropped the rod due to your old age. Congratulations, patent pending! On the other hand, it might not be such a good idea because when you visit me later this month you'll probalby be chasing me down the road swinging that 'ugly stick' at me after I beat you fishing!

Posted by: JERRY SPRINGS (---.dlsrtr.corridor.net)
Date: May 04, 2006 01:57PM

Hello Jim, here's whats been working for me. I bought a spray can of Fixative from a craft store (Hobby Lobby) or you might even be able to get it from wally world. This stuff smells awfull but seems to work for me. I think some cans may also be labled Fix-a-tiff. Regards Jerry Springs PS This stuff dries super fast but I let it dry over night just to be safe.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 04, 2006 07:58PM

Jim if you will allow your email or phone number I will contact you and this problem can be easily solved. You email address is hidden on the board. The text of the Flocking Text of the Charlotte Show Workshop 2006 deals specifically with the problem you note. Send me your phone number and I will call at a time conveinient to you.

Tom verbally stated in his demo two years ago that it was necessary to seal the cork with something like cork seal or color preserver. I also had several intitial failures when Cork Seal was used. I also had a habit of wiping down the cork during the initial prep with denatured alcohol which will cause immediate failure of the bond. The text in Rodmaker magazine noted CP with no mention of Cork Seal. After the failures of bond when Cork Seal was used and after testing with Ralph involved determined that Cork Seal should not be used for sealing cork prior to the application of Donjer adhesive. The Cork Seal contains small amounts of products which retard the initial curing of the adhesive. CP or two coats of the adhesive provides a much better base that is tightly adherent.

Bill Stevens

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2006 08:11PM by Bill Stevens.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster