I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cork pistol grip
Posted by: Sam Parkinson (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 02, 2006 06:44PM

i have a cork pistol grip with a hole in the forward end and no hole in the back.How am i going to get the blank into the handle when the end of the rod is bigger than the hole.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cork pistol grip
Posted by: Ted Morgan (137.219.130.---)
Date: May 02, 2006 07:25PM

You'll need to dril it out, ream and fit from the tip like a normal grip. Leave a recess in the back, and glue in a cork plug. Sand smooth and unless you look closely, you won't be able to tell the difference.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.fv.dl.cox.net)
Date: May 02, 2006 08:02PM

I suggest you ream out the grip to fit from the back end up, after it is sized, wrap some heavy thread to make up the difference where the front of the grip comes to rest on the blank.
A heavy dose of epoxy should also help fill any voids.
Hope this helps,

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nas86.newark2.nj.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: May 03, 2006 01:05PM

Like Ron says. Don't drill a hole completely though the handle. It goes on from the butt. Just make it fit from the butt. The right size drill bit should work.

Also do all the work on the rod and put it on last. I do this so I can put a piece of blank into the butt for the dryer.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: May 03, 2006 08:06PM

I've just glued a pin into the proper sized wooden dowel to find the center of the hole in the butt of the grip. I push the dowel into the hole and push the pin out through the cork.

After finding the center of the hole in this manner, I cut carefully with an Exacto knife at an angle from a larger diameter of the butt of the blank it's to be used on, down into or at least towards the hole. I usually don't completely reach the hole with these cuts, but just complete this by inserting the other end of the dowel to push the cut piece out of the hole.

Then, I ream the handle to fit the blank and glue the piece back in when gluing the handle on. I mix some cork dust in the glue and force it into the outer edges of the cut as I'm doing this. I clamp it carefully to keep this plug tightly in place and then sand it smooth afterwards. It's always turned out really nice for me doing this.

I try to avoid cutting through any spots that look like they've been filled already with glue and cork dust; these spots don't like to cut and usually break out in a chunk on me. Cut around them, leaving them in the plug or on the handle.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nas32.newark2.nj.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: May 04, 2006 07:17AM

I was lazy and did not want to fill any hole LOL

Or get really into it like this one [www.rodbuilding.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster