I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Interesting Show Twist
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 01, 2006 09:39AM

When we began looking for a new location for the National Rod Building Show, one of the places we considered was the Charlotte Merchandise Mart. It was inexpensive and had a lot going for it, but there were no hotels nearby - the closest was a Best Western about 2 miles away. We felt this would put an undue hardship on the rod builders that come in from out of town (our show isn't a regional affair - most rod builders that attend come in from over 200 miles away).

In the end, we tanked the idea of that location and found a much more suitable location here in High Point.

However, when Barry Serviente from the Fly Fishing Show inquired about leasing space from me in High Point for his show, we kept running into a stalemate over ticket prices. We both thought it was important that the tickets be reciprocal - that one ticket would cover both shows. Obviously, this would make things a much better value for the attendess. However, I was stuck on $8 per day for the rod builders and Barry was stuck on $14 per day for the fly fishermen. His idea was to just charge the rod builders more if they wanted to come into the fly fishing portion of the show. I ran it all around and in the end just couldn't see that working out very well. (I think the attendance fees at these type shows is getting out of hand.)

So, I directed him to the Merchandise Mart down in Charlotte. Because the Fly Fishing Show is a regional event, they don't have to worry over the lack of a nearby hotel. I heard from Barry this morning and he has decided to have his show at that location for 2007. We wish him well. His dates are February 2, 3 and 4.

Another fly fishing show promoter has now contacted me about leasing space at our location. So has the Custom Knife Makers Organization. I will consider both, but only if the ticket prices are the same so the two shows can be reciprocal. We have a very unique and superior situation at our location and I'm not going to compromise the rod building show with anything else. If an additional show will "bring something to the table for us" then I'll look into it. But it has to add something in terms of additional value. The rod building show is the priority.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2006 09:41AM by Tom Kirkman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Interesting Show Twist
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 01, 2006 09:43AM

Sounds like a "win-Win" situation. Maybe the custom knife builders could sell a lot of handle material that could be used in reel seats, grips, etc. What about leasing some space to the knife people AND fly show. The more the merrier!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: May 01, 2006 09:45AM

I guess tehy couldn't reduce their prices in Charlotte, because they cahrge $14 for other venues as well. I missed the fly fishing show, 2 years in a row. Teh only time I saw them was when we were unloading and packing up. I guess we'll have some more room.

Date: May 01, 2006 09:56AM

They could have reduced their ticket price and actually ended up making more money. Regional fishing show prices are getting out of hand. I know several regional fishing show promoters, Barry is only one of them, and they all tell me pretty much the same thing - "Our attendance keeps dropping so we have to raise ticket prices each year to make up the difference." It's not a mystery to me why their attendance continues to fall. I hope Barry does well in 2007. We have a good relationship and I was happy to steer him in the direction of the Merchandise Mart. But it'll cost you $14 plus $6 parking per day. $20 doesn't seem like much, but I know very well that it keeps a lot of people from attending these regional events.

Most rod builders who come in from long distances probably see a $14 ticket price ($24 two day ticket) as the smallest part of their whole trip. I could probably get away with charging that much and not affect attendance at our show by much if at all. But there's just no need to charge that much. We can do what we have to do and put on an even better show than last year at just $8 per day. Take the extra $6 per day you save and buy a finish kit, or a few more guides, or one of the many close-out blanks. I'd rather you spent that money with the vendors than on getting in the door. If we bring in 1500 rod builders (we'll do better than that) you're looking at a collective savings of $9,000 per day for the attendees. I'm sure the vendors would like a crack at some of that. And... I'd rather it be spent with the vendors than with me.

The Knife Making folks would be an interesting match. They're similar craftsmen doing similar work. They share the same interest in materials and tools. But at the same time, it's different.

Then again, we don't need anyone with us. But I do have an additional 37,000 square foot hall that I'm not doing anything with. If I can put somebody in it that would add more value for my attendees, then I'll consider it.

Posted by: Emory Harry (67.170.180.---)
Date: May 01, 2006 10:20AM

If I remember my economics there was something called a demand curve that suggested that when you raise prices your volume is supposed to drop and you cannot increase revenue by increasing prices unless you have a very inelastic market. I doubt that a fly fishing show is an inelastic market.

Date: May 01, 2006 11:24AM

I think all 3 groups would be great. Like you said, the knife people are craftsman and you may entice some crossovers into the rodbuilding craft. The fly show may also introduce some people into the rodbuilding craft as wel. As long as you have the room and it doesn't take away from the rodbuilding show, why not.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: May 01, 2006 12:18PM

I attend the annual sport fishing show in my area and they want $9.00 for an adult ticket which has risen steadily upward from $6.00 not so long ago. For the value of the show its about peaked and with $6.00 parking, still makes this expenditure something to consider. A local radio staion puts on a food drive; bring 6 cans (4 lbs.) of food and get into the event for that. They raise 4 or 5000 pounds of food each year. Thursday at 3:00 pm. the day the show opens and the only day the food drive is in effect packs out the place by 4:30 pm.. Theses are mostly locals looking for a deal but it demonstrates how a deal brings them out of the woodwork. Sure the Rod Making show has a different demographic draw and more a speciality show, but $15 seems exorbident

As for the Knife Making folks, I would consider advising them that many Rod Makers in attendance will be looking to buy finished crossover components that would be usable for rod building. (Reel seat incerts, round and diamond shaped incerts for cork) where as, from what I have seen at many knife exhibits, The Knife making folks like to bring FINISHED KNIVES ONLY and do not necessarily exhibit constituent components that would be suitable for Rod Making. Its more of a special order sidebar, after "the show" thought. You might wish to provide them with the industry dimensional standards for reel seats so they might manufacture and then offer some finish components used in Rod Making; then they might test the potentially profitable waters in this new area considering there are Rod Making exhibits that already do this. I am sure there might be some Knive Mfg's that don't normally cater to this area of the market and most, if any of them at these shows, would just carry the raw materials that the reel seat incerts might be made from. More competition keeps prices with in reason, unlike some perspective pricing for entry to these events.

Posted by: Chuck Ungs (---.dsl.iowatelecom.net)
Date: May 01, 2006 01:09PM

What is the bottom line on dates and location of the '07 rodbuilding show then? I have seen several bits and pieces along the way and might have missed a big announcement - but that would be helpful info.
Chuck Ungs

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 01, 2006 01:19PM

Tom,

I see this as a great opportunity to explore many types of shows with crossover potential.
Joe Emig can teach us how to use stretch (Tricot) fabrics to cover reel seats!
Just as with Knife Makers; Luthiers (Guitar makers) , Woodworkers, Carvers, Weavers and other crafters would likely inspire many new materials and ideas for rod builders.

Personally I'd like to see a Swimwear or Lingerie Convention in that unused area. Something to soothe the eye strain from staring at all those tight wraps and Billy Vivona's face.

Dave

Just kidding Billy.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: May 01, 2006 01:25PM

Dave Gilberg Wrote:
> soothe the eye strain from staring at all those
> tight wraps and Billy Vivona's face.

Ah, I could get myself banned here for making FRiday night Westin comments, but I'll refrain. lol.

Date: May 01, 2006 01:37PM

Chuck, THe link to the show info is at the top of the sponsor list on the left

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Date: May 01, 2006 01:37PM

Chuck,

Click the link at the top of the left hand sponsors column. That will give you all the info you need on the Expo.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.bh.wv.cebridge.net)
Date: May 01, 2006 02:23PM

Billy,

Agreed, I had an admittedly inappropriate post deleted for that very reason. So, I refrain from now on also. It will be very nice to get away from that though, Thanks to Tom!! Might be able to have a drink and some good RodBuilder fellowship in peace now.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 01, 2006 03:09PM

Wonder what the "daggar" guys would say if they saw an old fat, bald headed man wearing a Culinary Institute Chef's coat carring a plate full of "gut bombs" trying to find the guy with the Devil Goatee who was gleefully twisting 40 fluorescent threads around Ralfees head! I wonder what a marbled and flocked Hari Kari Sword would look like? Will work for blanks!

Posted by: Sammy Mickel (---.r4.ncreed.infoave.net)
Date: May 01, 2006 07:41PM

I'm hoping the Knife guys will bite. I was actually part of thier group for a while and then rodbuilding took over my time. The group is actually very diverse and just a good group of nuts. At the shows they held you had 4 of the biggest supliers showing up along with the major mfg's of belt grinders and there was allways 2 guys there with a abundance of exotic woods. One of my close friends that makes knives also works at a vineyard in Mt. Airy so I'm sure he could entertain the scope from "redneck Bob" to the ultimate "wine and cheeser". Regaurdless the show just keeps getting better every year.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster