I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lathe Question
Posted by: Ron Delesky (---.dsl.yntwoh.ameritech.net)
Date: April 30, 2006 05:33PM

I have built a few graphite as well as rebuilt a variety of bamboo fly rods, and would like the the option to turn my own cork grips and wooden reel seat inserts. What would be some suitable lathe manufacturers/models to accomplish this without a considerable investment( less than $200.00)? Also, what type of features/options should I look for?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lathe Question
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 30, 2006 05:38PM

At the present point in time, I'd steer you to a Rikon midi-lathe at about $260. It's a tremendous value for the money. Of course, you'll need turning tools, a decent woodworking chuck and probably a Jacobs style chuck for tailstock drilling. In the end, you may spend $400 to $500 but you'll have something that should last you for many, many years to come.

If you can afford it, I'd advise to spend a little more now and save yourself some frustration down the road. Paying more doesn't necessarily get you more every time, but rarely is the cheapest the best.

Posted by: Ron Delesky (---.dsl.yntwoh.ameritech.net)
Date: April 30, 2006 06:46PM

What about something like PSI TCLPRO Turncrafter PRO Midi Lathe? It is being offered from Amazon for $169.95 with an additional 10%. It seems that a lot of people like the Jet mini, but it costs over a $100.00 more.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 30, 2006 06:52PM

The Turncrafter Pro is a popular lathe with many builders, I have one and like it. Like Tom said, you will still need the chucks, tools, etc. I would recommend the extension also. Don't skimp on tools and you will also need a slow speed grinder with the proper wheels for sharpening. The first thing that you might want to do is get a copy of Andy Dears great DVD on Lathes in rodbuilding. Invaluable. It is available from Lamar Fishing on the left. Keep in mind the the lathe will also become an obsession

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: steve parks (65.214.202.---)
Date: April 30, 2006 07:32PM

I have the Delta Midi Lathe. I bought it last year for $249, free shipping and $30 rebate. The lathes the other guys have mentioned will do what you want also. They are all pretty much equal. I got mine from Tylertool.com. Since the sponsors here don't sell those type lathes I thought it would be allright to mention. Here's the link [store.yahoo.com] Looks like they went up on the price a little and the last day of the rebate is today.

Steve

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: April 30, 2006 09:28PM

Ron,

Definetly get Andy Dear's DVD. Also get a set of his mandrels.
A good chuck and good turning tools are worth the cost at the onset. I have the Jet Mini and have enjoyed it. The Nova Midi Chuck suits my requirements for turning cork/wood on mandrels.
As Mike suggested, seriously consider a bed extension no matter which lathe you decide on - or be sure one is available for a subsequent purchase.

You're in for a lot of fun.
Stan

Posted by: Jeffrey Wolfanger (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: May 01, 2006 01:05AM

Ron Delesky Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What about something like PSI TCLPRO Turncrafter
> PRO Midi Lathe? It is being offered from Amazon
> for $169.95 with an additional 10%. It seems that
> a lot of people like the Jet mini, but it costs
> over a $100.00 more.
>

I recently bought the Turncrafter from Amazon, at 10% your that's a deal...Just make sure that you know about the rest of the investments in chuck, manrells , turning tools.....This could easily take you to $400.00...

I know a guy who makes nice handles, he bought a grizzly.....This setup with mandrels I think is $150.00.....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster