I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

renewing cork
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: April 29, 2006 10:34PM

Is there any way to renew cork, IE old hard cork.
I have done a search and nothing came up.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: renewing cork
Posted by: Billy Broderick (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: April 30, 2006 01:24AM

Tim I have sanded it then filled holes with cork dust and glue mixture. Then applied U40 cork treatment. and made a old worn out cork look like new. Perhaps this might help you bud. Billy

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 30, 2006 08:45AM

Sanding is a sure fire way to get down to "new" cork, although it removes a bit of diameter. Don't sand any more than you have to.'

You might also try scrubbing the cork with some 409 and a Scotchbrite pad. This does a remarkable job on cleaning cork, although it won't leave the surface as soft and smooth as sanding will.

Posted by: Wayne T Dye (---.client.insightbb.com)
Date: April 30, 2006 11:48AM

Tim , Last year I bought a Fenwick Techna AV from a muskie guide that was "retiring"(???). He had used the rod every day in the summer for 2 years. I had to literally tap the reel seat to get the reel off there was so much crud on it. This guys idea of cleanup was wiping hs grips on his pants leg, needless to say the grips were filthy, almost black. Once I got the reel off I used dishwashing detergent(Dawn) and a clean rag and washed the daylights out of the grips and let them dry, then washed again and let dry. I then applied U40 cork treatment. Grips looked and felt good as new(maybe better). Guide wanted to buy outfit back, but I wanted too much for it. I did get a good deal from him when I bought it but hey my time cleaning it up was worth something.

Wayne
SMCCR ( Six Mile Creek Custom Rods)

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (166.61.238.---)
Date: May 01, 2006 01:55PM

Aside from filling in holes and making similar repairs, I have found the best way to bring old cork back to looking new is with either an SOS or Brillo pad. It works wonders!
Tight lines,
Hunter

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: May 02, 2006 06:45PM

All above are pretty good deals..... I use a small hand-scrub brush, and either bar soap, or liquid dish soap. The small hand brush has very stiff 'bristles', and is easier to deal with, than a chore-girl type pad, or a square of scotchbrite. The brush permits scrubbing into the (insert latin name here) "pith marks" , whereas the chore girls and brite pads struggle to do this.
If they are still rather black, instead of brown, you can spray with one of those spray cleaners out there: BAM, 409, mildew remover, etc. and let it sit for a bit, to bleach out the stains. Then another pass with the scrub brush, and Bob's yer uncle.
Or: bite the bullet, and turn off 60 thou on the lathe. (about 1/16") Troube is: those stains are usually deeper than that.

Posted by: Chuck Ungs (---.dsl.iowatelecom.net)
Date: May 02, 2006 09:38PM

Simple green works wonders on a multitude of such problems - try it first - often the simplest solutions are the best... ;) Chuck Ungs

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster