I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tax ID #
Posted by: Mark Syck (---.mgm.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 28, 2006 05:07PM

Is there any advantage to getting a tax ID #? Other than being able to get blanks and supplies at a better price?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tax ID #
Posted by: Joe Kassuba (---.dhcp.knwk.wa.charter.com)
Date: April 28, 2006 06:08PM

Taxes have to be paid no matter what for all things purchased and resold. If something that was originally purchased for resale is then used by the purchaser either in their business or personally then taxes are usually due. Bottom line is when a buisness becomes the end user the applicable use taxes must be paid. Check with your states dept. of revenue to determine how to go about this. States have differing tax structures but all require that all applicable taxes be paid. Federal excise taxes are usually applicable too.
So be informed.
Joe Kassuba
HIS Rod Shop

Date: April 28, 2006 08:22PM

That all I understand...Let me rephrase. I know the profit margin will be greater for me, but, is the hassal of keeping track of the taxes worth the profit? It seems like this is the only way a person can get a break, is by buying wholesale.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 28, 2006 09:06PM

You have to keep track and pay taxes whether or not you have a tax ID. The difference if you don't have it and sell something, you are in violation of the law and all it would take is one phone call from an upset customer (or competitor). There is no way to avoid it (legal, that is)

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: April 28, 2006 10:04PM

I guess the biggest advantage would be avoiding jail or stiff fines...lol

Posted by: steve parks (65.214.202.---)
Date: April 28, 2006 11:17PM

Mike Barkley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You have to keep track and pay taxes whether or
> not you have a tax ID. The difference if you
> don't have it and sell something, you are in
> violation of the law and all it would take is one
> phone call from an upset customer (or competitor).
> There is no way to avoid it (legal, that is)
>
> Mike
> If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can
> make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

So you're saying if a person builds a rod using components buy at retail, sells the rod and turns a profit, he has to pay taxes? That doesn't sound right.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: April 29, 2006 04:27AM

I'd rather contact my CPA with questions like this instead of relying on hearsay...even from a great place of information like this one. This is especially true when our state & local tax laws differ they way they do across the country.

Jay

Date: April 29, 2006 09:24AM

Jay's right about where to get your info, but Steve, if you make and sell a rod (or anything else), you owe state and federal excise taxes on the sale.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 29, 2006 12:13PM

...even if all the components are bought retail?

Geez! The gubment wants all our money!

Date: April 29, 2006 01:36PM

How you buy it has no bearing on anything whatsoever when it comes to taxes. Wholesale only means that you don't pay the Sales tax on what you buy because you are going to be reselling it and the sales tax will be paid by the final buyer. Use tax (the equivelant of Sales Tax) is supposed to be paid to your state on anything that you buy wholesale for yourself or to be used in your business. Whether you purchase wholesale or retail has nothing to do with income tax, sales tax, Federal Excise tax at all. No way around it, if you sell it, you owe various taxes. Check with an accountant!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.state.md.us)
Date: May 01, 2006 07:19AM

You don't need a Federal Tax ID# to own a business if you don't have any employees AND work out of your home (in Maryland). You can still get wholesale prices from any vendor- as long as you can prove you own a business, which you can do in several ways (faxing the paperwork from the State, for example).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster