I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

DVD's on rod finishing
Posted by: John Richardson (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: April 27, 2006 01:41PM

I know there are a lot of DVD's and videos out there showing how to do thread wraps and designs. Are there any that show applying the finish using a spatula as opposed to using a brush? The majority of what I read here suggests that the spatula is the way to go.

I think if I can see it being done I'll understand it better and be able to do it myself.

I don't know the bandlength restrictions on this website but I think short 3-5 minute clips of applying finish with a spatula, seating an EVA grip, etc. would be wonderful. Is this possible, Tom?

Thanks

John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: DVD's on rod finishing
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 27, 2006 02:11PM

It would be possible but it would cost me more money, which I really don't have. Photos and movie clips take up a great deal of space.

Then we run into the problem of folks who sell such DVDs on rod building techniques starting to get a little upset that what they're trying to sell, is being given away elsewhere. This is an age old problem that there is no easy sollution for.

I know it's a long way off, but if you attend the rod building show again next year you can see any of these techniques demonstrated in person.

Posted by: John Richardson (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: April 27, 2006 08:59PM

I intend to be there next year for sure!

I guess that leads to a question as to when the Tom Kirkman DVD on Rod Finishing will be released.<g> I'd buy it and I bet a lot of other people on this board would as well.

-John

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 27, 2006 09:06PM

I don't know about that. I've had a good many builders come by the shop and I've applied finish while they watch and they nearly always say something like, "Is that all? You mean, you just put it on and leave it alone?"

And that would be the extent of any finishing DVD that I would do. I'd load the brush with finish, lower it to the wrap, rotate the rod one revolution, reload the brush, move over and do it again. Then I just walk off and do something else, returning every so often to flip the rod 180 degrees. I don't heat the finish, don't blow on it, don't add anything to it, don't manipulate it, don't say prayers or recite incantations over it. Any finishing DVD that I did would be about 2 minutes long. Maybe even shorter.

Posted by: Joe Kassuba (---.dhcp.knwk.wa.charter.com)
Date: April 28, 2006 12:12AM

Hello John
On my web page www.hisrodshop.com. There I have put togeather some still photos with instructions regarding using spatulas. Mouse point to "Navigate" and then point to "Products" select "spatula Products".
Regards Joe Kassuba

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 28, 2006 12:41AM

Kudos to you Joe,

I just checked out your tutorial. Nicely done!
[www.hisrodshop.com]

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: April 28, 2006 01:40AM

Over the years and with TK preaching it.............Less is more when it comes to finish............and ThreadMaster

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Posted by: John Richardson (---.westcare.org)
Date: April 28, 2006 11:45AM

Dear Joe,

Thanks for the link to your site. Your instructions are great! I think after reading it a few times and practicing on scrap I'll get the hang of it.

Your instructions are a real service to newbies like me.

-John

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: April 28, 2006 10:37PM

John,

I've been using Joe's technique ever since I saw his demo at the 1st.Charlotte Rodbuilding Show. His website contains the required info.

Also, I recommend using his finish spatula - does a great job. It has a flat end for applying epoxy and a pointed end which is useful for popping any bubbles and for adding epoxy to small areas that need a little extra epoxy. Nice little tool.

Stan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster