I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

downlocking fly reelseat for 4 wt
Posted by: Tim Kelly (---.ded.swbell.net)
Date: April 27, 2006 11:19AM

Well the U8 reelseat that I bought from Andy Dear isn't going to work with the cigar style grip that I'd prefer to use with this flyrod blank. So, I have to find a good quality down locking reelseat for the 9 foot 4wt fly blank. Would also like to find a "blued" reelseat, now REC makes several black versions of there seats, what would anyone recommend for a nice looking alum or nickel seat for this blank? I only build rods occasionally and this ones for me, so I want to make it a little unique. The blanks an olive Allstar so I want to try the blued seat to match the blank and whatever color of thread I end up using.

Tim Kelly

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: downlocking fly reelseat for 4 wt
Posted by: Mike Parker (208.6.1.---)
Date: April 27, 2006 02:39PM

Buy a nice nickel silver reel seat and insert and blue the hardware yourself like the boo guys do with their seats, ferrules, checks, etc...

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: April 27, 2006 07:08PM

golden witch carries bluing agents for blueing nickel silver as well as aluminum i think. different solutions. personally, i like aluminum rings, i think they hold better with wood inserts. the anodized black aluminum looks different than blued NS. your choice.

we have a poster here on this board who makes his own titanium rings i think for double ring fly reel setas. maybe he'll respond.

there are various nice choices out there. struble and bellinger both make what are considered the standard, better reel seats in downlocking. venneri offers some very nice models too. struble offers one which can work as down OR uplocking. you should also check out REC which offers, sometimes, a smaller and arger version of DL cap and ring. if you want something which looks a bit different, check out rush river rods, kind of an old word charm to the hardware. i tried something from jim breau at jimbrureau.com i think. very nice quality reel seats. and don't forget to look over golden witch's seats in 2-3 designs for cap and ring downlocking seats. plenty to choose from.

eric
fresno, ca.

Date: April 28, 2006 09:36AM

Thanks Eric and Mark,

You both have given me some great advice, I'll check these options out and try to come to some conclusions with this.

Tim

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frs2ca.pacbell.net)
Date: April 28, 2006 09:53AM

tim.. post a photo of your final rod. that olive color sounds very interesting. you may want to update your prfile too to include your email address. or grab mine. i have some links for you.

eric
fresno, ca.

Date: April 28, 2006 11:32AM

Eric,

Have changed my profile to include my email as an option, I hadn't thought of that option. Thanks. May consider the REC (AUS) reelseat now for the blank, it can be ordered in the pewter or champagne. Familiar with the pewter finish but not the champagne. What does the champagne look like? Pretty sure I'll use the fiddleback maple insert with either of these. What guides would look/match with the champagne seat?

Tim

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.att.net)
Date: April 28, 2006 03:09PM

i would recommend bellinger reel seat in black aluminum. beautiful woods available. i have tried bluing ferrules and reel seats. have had good luck with nickel silver ferrules using birchwood casey brass black but not good results with reel seats. it may be because the reel seats are work hardened and ferrules are machined (the ones i buy anyway). just my experience and anecdotal. cetainly there is some bluing agent that would do it because you see them all the time. just not sure which one would work on a a work hardened nickel silver piece.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster