I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

wooden handles
Posted by: Dale Rowsey (---.access.ntelos.net)
Date: April 26, 2006 07:14PM

Hi all I just received my first set of wooden handles(they look great) and I would like to know what kind of glue that I should use to put them together with.Thanks for any help Dale

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wooden handles
Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 26, 2006 07:16PM

Rod Bond, IMO. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2006 07:28PM

Ditto!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.an2.sea18.da.uu.net)
Date: April 26, 2006 07:52PM

Ditto again. I have been putting wooden handles ( grips) on all the fly rods I build for almost a year and everyone thinks they are great.

Bob Crook
La Pine, Oregon

Posted by: Frantz BUCHOT (---.w86-194.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: April 27, 2006 04:29AM

Just one stupid question from a French guy who has never used/seen a wooden handle (except on a picture)....
I was wondering isn't it too wet when slippery?

Frantz

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 27, 2006 05:46AM

Surprisingly no. I too thought that they would be slippery than the dickens when wet, they really aren't

Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 27, 2006 05:56AM

Frantz , they are not slippery when wet , we were at a fly fishing show and someone came up to our booth and just started running his mouth ,who would want these when they get wet you are going to wear blisters on your hand trying to hold on to it , he had attracted a small crowd , so I reached in the cooler we had under our table and got a bottle of water . I took a handle out of the package and asked the man to hold it and then poured the water on his hand , and asked him is it slippery ? No answer, so again I asked is it slippery ? With a very low voice he answers NO. We sell a lot of them and have never had a complaint ,just sold 25 sets to one person afer he ordered one to try . We are on the sponsor list Fishstick4u and they are on our new products page under custom wood handles. P.S. I like to use Flex Coat 5 minute epoxy , works very well. Robert

Posted by: Frantz BUCHOT (---.w86-194.abo.wanadoo.fr)
Date: April 27, 2006 06:38AM

Thank you very much for all your answers, I am looking forward to trying this!!!
It really makes me happy to read this because I really like the look it gives to a rod (for instance Russ Miller) and it will for sure enable me to build "nicer" rods!!!

Frantz

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.150.popsite.net)
Date: April 27, 2006 09:10AM

Robert
You don't have any problems with 5 min. epoxy? This is to fix the handle onto the blank ?
Like that story.

Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: April 27, 2006 01:49PM

Bill , no problems , have done several that way and it sure speeds things up . I started doing it that way after talking to a local builder . Robert

Posted by: Dale Rowsey (---.access.ntelos.net)
Date: April 27, 2006 08:20PM

My handles have just a slight wobble in the fore grip and in the real seat will I need to build this up or will the glue solve this problem
Dale

Posted by: Stan Grace (69.146.116.---)
Date: April 28, 2006 10:48PM

I would wrap with enough thread prior to glueing to take up the slack and eliminate the wobble.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster