I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Winston Boron IIx - 8wt.
Posted by: Gregg Osland (---.dhcp.stbr.ga.charter.com)
Date: April 24, 2006 11:23PM

Has anyone experienced or heard any feedback on the new Winston Boron IIx rod blanks? I am thinking of building one but am curious to ask before getting one of these.

I am also strongly considering the Lamiglas XMG 9ft. 8wt 4piece over the Winston but thought I would ask to see what anyone has heard of experienced with them.

Thanks,

Gregg Osland

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Winston Boron IIx - 8wt.
Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.119.---)
Date: April 25, 2006 07:57AM

I have used one. Thought it was great and had zero complaints. But I also think it's overpriced compared to many other blanks that are just as good. I don't think these have much boron in them but I do like the feel.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: April 25, 2006 08:14AM

The XMG 50 Lamiglas blanks are nice also I have a 10 ft 5 wt and a 9 ft 6 in 7 wt both fine rods. The Lamiglas Perigee blanks also make a fine rod. globalflyfisher.com and flyanglersonline.com have both built and fished these blanks and posted reviews.

Posted by: aaron laird (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: April 25, 2006 08:41AM

Love em! Course--being a native Montanan and having known a number of friends who worked in the factory doesn't make me biased at all! I personally feel a difference between WInston and other blanks. Not saying it is better than another rod, but I REALLY like the feel for my casting style. You might test drive one at the local dealer if you are unsure. The resell value of the Winston rods is hard to beat... Good luck!

Posted by: Gregg Osland (72.16.221.---)
Date: April 25, 2006 09:01AM

Thanks for the replies! Thanks for letting me know about the reviews Spencer. I will look for them today and read what was mentioned. It has been a while since I have been to the board so I will have a little searching to do but will probably find them in no time.

Gregg Osland

Posted by: Mike Casey (69.51.87.---)
Date: April 27, 2006 08:56AM

Like Arron, I have a resident Montana/Winston bias. Having disclosed that , I have to say that everyone that I know that has one really really likes it. Many of the people that I know that use them are self admitted Winston snobs, but they are also guides and people with 30+ years of fly fishing. Last week I got to fish with a 9' 3 weight IIx loaner, very nice rod. Where the Winston people took a medium action rod (IM6/38 Mil Mod) blank and stiffened the lower section with boron, another more reasonably priced company did the reverse. Test cast a Winston Boron and then if you can compare it to Batson RX8+ blank. Batson softened up the top section on their previous generation (RX8) and made a darn good blank. Don't get me wrong, if Winston would sell their blanks to builders at less than full retail (OK 10% than full retail) I'd build on their blanks most of the time. Just my two cent worth.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster