I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

holding single foot guides prior to wrapping on fly rod
Posted by: Dave Guertin (---.dhcp.roch.mn.charter.com)
Date: April 24, 2006 09:34PM

Sorry if this seems like a newbie question but my level of frustration is growing. I am trying to wrap single foot guides near the tip top and am having trouble keeping them in place with just tape. My fingers get in the way especially as I try to do a band in-lay just before the guide foot. I am not having trouble with the larger guides or stripper guides, but those little buggers near the top just don't want to stay put. I would love to hear how you solve this problem. Thanks for the advice in advance.

"A bad day of fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work."

Blessings,
Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: holding single foot guides prior to wrapping on fly rod
Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.ontrca.adelphia.net)
Date: April 24, 2006 09:43PM

i have tried all kinds of methods and finally settled on small (1 1/2" )electrical zip ties. they won't scratch the blank. you can reposition the guide if need be and they hold tite. easy to remove. i use a small pair of diagonal cutting pliers to cut the little block that holds the ties together. i slide them up the guide foot till the contact the guide and there is enough room for about 6 or 8 wraps before you have to cut them off. by that time the thread holds it on.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 24, 2006 09:44PM

Dave,
For me, The simplest way is to get tubing of various ID,s (go to any Hobby shop that deals with model airplanes. You can buy tubing in numerous sizes by the foot (used for fuel lines, etc) A cutting board and razor blade will give you a lifetime supply of really thin "rubber bands" in no time at all in various sizes.

Just slide however many you need unto the blank (with a few extra) roll them down to where each guide goes and slip the guide foot under the band and you're all set. When you wrap goes a ways up the foot, just touch the band with a razor and it will fly off. Quick, easy and makes adjusting position real easy.

Some also use the tiny rubber bands that are used for dental braces.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Chuck Ungs (---.dsl.iowatelecom.net)
Date: April 24, 2006 10:32PM

I prefer to use the flex coat low melting point glue stick. Locks the guide in place enough but if you need to move it you still can after wrapping... it also serves as a layer of protection between the guide foot and blank in case you miss a slight burr or sharp edge. Works for me - I used to use twist ties and they worked well but I don't have to remove anything with this stuff after it is there I can just wrap and roll on to the next one.
Chuck Ungs

Posted by: Bill Worden (---.dsl.sktn01.pacbell.net)
Date: April 24, 2006 11:53PM

I second Chucks suggestion

Posted by: Dave Guertin (---.dhcp.roch.mn.charter.com)
Date: April 25, 2006 08:37AM

Chuck,

The glue stick you are referring to, is that the guide foot adhesive, or the tip top adhesive? I am probably going to try a couple of methods including the adhesive route and the tubing route to see which one works best for me. Thanks for the advice.

"A bad day of fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work."

Blessings,
Dave

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: April 25, 2006 08:40AM

IMO While it may be convenient to do so. If you use glue sticks to cushion between the foot and blank. You are also cushioning the vibration from being transferred to the blank. As the soft glue serves as a deadening material. It may not mater on top water rods or fly rods, maybe even Salt water rods were you can see the fish strike. Or the fish are so large your using a broom handle anyway. But for subtle fishing small baits and bass rods I would suggest staying away from it.

Posted by: Larry Laurent (207.191.101.---)
Date: April 25, 2006 09:00AM

I use a rubber band cut into sections and tie them on with a single knot.

Posted by: Bil Gburek (---.arsup.psu.edu)
Date: April 25, 2006 09:00AM

Dave,

I've had the same frustration. As Larry suggested, I too use the small cable ties to initially hold and position the guides, but I then go one step further. Once everything is in place, I wick a drop of super glue under each guide foot. After that's dried, I remove the cable ties before wrapping -- you just have to take care not to bump the guides and knock them off. Using this technique, there's nothing in the way when I start wrapping, and I don't have to stop in the middle of the wrap to remove anything or cut anything off.

Works for me!

Bilgee

Posted by: Raymond Adams (69.241.124.---)
Date: April 25, 2006 09:15AM

Try this!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: April 25, 2006 10:02AM

The glue stick or tip top adhesive is called ferrule cement, and Ibelieve it would inhibit the transfer of vibration. I use 1/4" masking tape, cut diwn to 1/8".

Posted by: Neal Cissel (---.phnx.qwest.net)
Date: April 25, 2006 10:29AM

What I sell which I think is better then the glue sticks is guide wrapping bands that you slip over the guide foot and once wrapped just cut off with a pair of scissors. You can also test cast with these bands on the rod blank prior to wrapping to make sure the guides are in the right location for you. We sell these bands in 3' sections and comes in 4 different sizes. The reason I don't like the glue sticks is that if you don't get them lined up from the start you will have problems. Now that is just my preference. I don't have the steadiest hands and so I opt to the bands over the glue sticks.

Neal Cissel
Neal's Fishing Products

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: April 25, 2006 06:59PM

I too use the low-tech, low budget masking tape trick. I use 1/2" cut in thirds. I place the band of tape very close to the guide's eye, leaving most of the foot exposed. 4 wraps around the guide, and it aligns just fine, while remaining on the rod.
As soon as the thread reaches the tape band, I unpeel, and continue the wrap as normal. For normal one-footers, this is well over 1/4" of thread on the guide. It ain't goan noplace.
I struggle with the wrapping of guides from the eye down the foot, preferring to wrap from the blank, up the foot, to the eye.
But I suppose if a fellow reversed the tape band's position, it would not make any diff.

Posted by: Chuck Ungs (---.dsl.iowatelecom.net)
Date: April 25, 2006 07:12PM

Steve G - I build high test walleye and smallmouth rods - there is no cushion effect or loss in sensitivity from the paper thin layer of glue... and if you read the title of the post he is actually asking about a fly rod - not much need for sensitivity there either way. Although I stick with my advice on the "guide-foot adhesive". The stuff works, works well actually, reduces stress in my rod building, and cuts out extra steps allowing me more time in my day - something I could use more of!

The high side of this glue is if it is slightly off Neal it can easily be pushed after wrapping to make adjustments.

Let's try it this way - if you are happy with your system ignore my post - if you are looking for a better way - try this one out - it just might suit you.
Chuck Ungs

Posted by: Stan Grace (69.146.116.---)
Date: April 25, 2006 09:25PM

Once you master the skill of using guide foot glue you won't regret it.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 26, 2006 08:03AM

I go with the small rubber bands like Mike Barkley. I got some 1/16, 1/8, and 1/4 inch ID rubber tubing from a scuba supply place. Works real well for me. Email me if you need further details.

Ed Smith

Posted by: Raymond Vinzant (---.gci.net)
Date: April 26, 2006 12:18PM

I just find some thin rubber bands around the house and cut them into 2" pieces. Then I just tie the pieces tightly on the blank where I want a guide, cut off the tag ends short and slip the guide underneath. If the guide still slips around, tie on another band. Cut the knot with scissors when you get a little ways up the foot. Works good for me...easier than cutting thin strips of tape and I don't have to buy anything.

Another trick is a locking wrap on the single foots. Go to the Library on this site to read the article by Rich Forhan. Not only do you get a superior wrap, but it locks the guide in and prevents it from pulling out of the wraps when your lining up the guides before finishing. The wrap is easy and kinda' fun once you've done a couple.

Try a couple of different techniques and see what works for you.

Ray Vinzant
Juneau, AK

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster