I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lathe cutting tool and RPM for shaping cork
Posted by: Doug Jeffries (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 23, 2006 09:14PM

I finally found a lathe of the style I wanted - primarily for making wood inserts and shaping cork grips. I am interested in recommendations for the type ' shape of cutting tool and RPM settings for shaping cork grips. I'll be starting from scratch with the glue beads dried and pressed outside each ring and working all the way to the finished grip. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lathe cutting tool and RPM for shaping cork
Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.nycmny83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: April 23, 2006 09:26PM

I shape my grips using only sandpaper. Get some really coarse stuff for the initial shaping, then go down to progressively finer grades. Cutting tools don't really work well on cork.

Posted by: Bryan Thompson (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: April 23, 2006 09:26PM

For cork all you need is sandpaper and a 4in1 tool. 1st off get a 4in1 tool and remove the extra material to get it to a straight stick. Make sure there are no smooth areas of where the cork had not been knocked down. When it is all uniform then you can sandpaper. Start with 120 grit and shape it. Then finish it in increments up to 360-400 grit. I use 1800 rpm for cork, and I'm sure you'll get 10 different answers for that. With the glue beads, you should wipe the cork with a wet rag after you clamp it to remove the glue. With practice comes perfection, and it doesn't take much practice. I also recommend Andy Dear's dvd; The Lathe in Rodbuilding". It will tell you everything everything you'll ever need to know. Later, Bryan.

Date: April 23, 2006 09:32PM

Hey Bryan -
Thanks for the quick reply and info. I'm probably showing my ignorance but what's a 4 in 1 tool? Also, where can I find Andy Dear DVD's? Sounds like just what I need. I've watched Andy Puyan's turn my cork grips for years but for some reason never captured the details. Now Andy's gone and I figure it's time to do my own. I am sure Andy did the initial rough shaping with a cutting tool on the lathe though. That much I know. He finished it with sand paper, steadily getting finer and finer and measuring against my hand to get it just so.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 23, 2006 09:38PM

Drywall sanding screen works GREAT on cork.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: April 23, 2006 09:58PM

Lamar Fishing is Andy's shop.

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: April 23, 2006 11:31PM

Gosh....if a cutting tool is used for corks, that would be something to see ! Granted I don't get out much or get very far, but of the 6 "pro" shops in BC I've visited, they all used a dedicated lathe, and sandpaper. Some used more RPM than others.
I use about 1000 RPM, start with 50 grit open coat aluminum oxide to break all the glue at all the rings, and work my way from the breaker, to 100, to 220, to 300, then to the backside of the 100 paper, which would be about 1000.
Works for me....your mileage may vary.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: April 24, 2006 12:01AM

Josh,

A 4 in 1 tool is a type of coarse tooth file that has different cutting surfaces on the various file surfaces - different cutting surfaces on the 4 surfaces. Lowe's and Home Depot has them.

My preference for roughing cork/wood is a rough cutting tool similar to a Stanley SurForm tool.

form.

Stan

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: April 24, 2006 12:01AM

For the initial shaping of the cork, I have found that using coarse ( 80 grit, then 120) aluminum oxide grinding discs (7" dia.) works great and they last forever. They are fairly rigid, so it is very easy to hold them with two hands and create a slight bend in them. This will speed up the initial shaping where you are creating the general contour you want. Then switch to sandpaper to finish, changing the grit progressively from say 150 to 400.

Posted by: bill boettcher (64.24.25.---)
Date: April 24, 2006 08:13AM

Tip
If you plan on making more then buying - save the cork dust in jars. later it may come in handy for making colored rings, end caps ----

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 24, 2006 09:22AM

Andy's DVD suggests using a coarse file for initial shaping rather than sandpaper, however a Stanley sureform tool would work as well. It's good to have a solid tool that you can place against the tool rest to true up the grip. You can also square up the ends and put in shoulder features with a regular bastard metal file.

Other than these two tools, it is sandpaper for me as well. 80 grit for getting the shape, then progress up through 400. I do use the drywall screen for my 120 and 220 grit sizes.

Terry

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.153.127.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: April 24, 2006 11:32AM

I have a wood rasp from Home Depot. It is flat on one side and convex on the other. Has nice course and fine teeth that takes material off well and fast.

Posted by: Joe Hepp (205.172.107.---)
Date: April 24, 2006 11:49AM

I use a flat "microplane shaping" tool from WoodCraft for my first cut on newly glued grips. Works real well on grips made from various materials like cork, Andy's exotic cork, hardwoods, EVA, poker chips, and/or craft foam. After that it is thin strips of sandpaper down to whatever is necessary to get the desired results.

[www.woodcraft.com]

Thanks to all: Lathe cutting tool and RPM for shaping cork
Date: April 24, 2006 09:07PM

Just wanted to send a quick thanks to all who offered suggestions. Looks like the 90% solution is a file / rasp followed by sand paper rather than any sort of a cutting tool. Andy Puyan's used to turn my grips while we sat in his shop and drank his fee (a bottle of scotch) and he always started with a cutting tool manuevered manually on his metal lathe. So maybe he was the exception rather than the rule. I'm ordering Andy Dear's DVD anyway. Thanks to all. This is my first post on this board and the response was great.

Posted by: Joe Brenner (---.swifttrans.com)
Date: May 01, 2006 11:30AM

If you are using regular cork you can get by with sand paper. If you are using Andy Dears Burl cork or something similar you will want to start with something heavier.

Make sure you use a dust mask in the very least.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster