I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Canadian Suppliers current status?
Posted by: Mark Janeck (---.ispnet.ca)
Date: April 23, 2006 11:13AM

Hi all, I've been out of touch with rodbuilding for a while and thought I'd check in with you regarding the status of Canadian Suppliers. When I left, Richard was in the beginning phase of trying to recover from a fire. I was hoping to see him back by now.

Has anyone heard from Richard (Richard's Rod and Reel) lately? I was told by another rodbuilder that St. Croix told him that Richard's was gone for good and he wold not be resuming his rodbuilding supply business after the fire. Is this true? That would be sad. Can anyone add to this? My Rodmaker subscription burned up in the fire I guess... oh well.

Secondly, I zipped over to Rodbuilder's supply (andy Sneddon) and his website still shows 2004 catalog. Is he still going and up to date?

I've done a few orders from Mudhole, and although I love the selection, speed of delivery, and professionalism, the brokerage fees are killing me. They ship FedEx and the darn fees are as much as the original order. Not Mudhole's fault, just wish they had a USPS option.

Nice to be back.

Mark Janeck
Custom Rods, Campbellville, Ontario

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Canadian Suppliers current status?
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: April 23, 2006 12:23PM

Andy Sneddon is alive and well...give him a shot

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 23, 2006 02:46PM

Richard is in the process of reorganizing right now, although I haven't heard from him in a couple months.

Posted by: Ron Petley (---.autobahn.mb.ca)
Date: April 23, 2006 08:26PM

Yes I seem to be in the same boat, my Rodmaker subscription stoped comming long ago and I have not herd from him since, I had a order as well that vanished. I am still hopeing he will come back some day.
I have since ordered from Rodbuilder's supply and Andy has given me good service. I had to put in my 2 cents woth although it is nothing more than what is above.
Cheers Ron.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 23, 2006 09:43PM

Hey Mark, Great to see you back! Missed seeing your awesome work!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Jan Podsiedlik (---.ed.shawcable.net)
Date: April 23, 2006 10:52PM

It says on Mud Hole's website that they will reluctantly ship international orders via Air Parcel Post if specifically requested by the customer. Apparently they had some problems with this method of shipment. Myself, I'd be glad to take the risk rather than to be hit with another ridiculous $25 "customs brokerage fee" for items which are duty free!

Jan from Edmonton

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: April 23, 2006 11:23PM

Yes. Much American business is geared to in house orders, because they must feel it's counterproductive to have someone stand in line at the post office, preferring to ship UPS, or some such, where they come to them, and download the charges to the receiver.
They love to lampoon their USPS....which offers many classes of service outside the borders of the USA.
Make a visit to usps dot gov, and check it out. There are plenty of options, including express, pickup, tracking numbers, yada yada yada.
Canada has the best prices for delivery by the USPS..... you can see that too, at the rates and services page.
Note the diffs between letter post and parcel post. Much stuff can come letter post, and save some green. Size and weight play a part in that class of service. For small stuff, the 7.00 Global Priority envelope is the cat's patooties.....for smaller stuff, you can't beat the 4.00 Global Priority envelope. Best, KD Smithers, BC V0J 2N4

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2006 11:24PM by Ken Driedger.

Posted by: John Campbell (---.jetstream.xtra.co.nz)
Date: April 24, 2006 05:16AM

For what it is worth I am in the same boat also with Richard.......mag stopped arriving long ago and also short half an order and no response to emails. I have dealt with Binghams, Lamar & Dan Craft and all three have been very good as has Ian Miller in Australia where I now get my mag from. I would like to think that Richard could get his business back together. John

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: April 24, 2006 09:36AM

Mark,
Check out the Batson Enterprises site to find a Rainshadow/Forecast distributor in your area. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us.
Thank you
Bill Batson
CEO
Batson Enterprises
Rainshadow/Forecast product line
877-875-2381
www.batsonenterprises.com
batson@batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: April 24, 2006 11:43AM

Dear Mark,

We're alive and very well.
If you forward your mailing address to the e-mail address below we'll post you a copy of our 2006 CD catalogue.

wasnedden@telus.net

Andy Snedden
Custom Rodbuilders Inc.

Posted by: Robert Heaton (---.for.dsl.connect.net.au)
Date: April 24, 2006 03:54PM

Interesting to see rod builders talking about costs of freight in the $25 range - what about us Aussie's - $60-$70US per order plus the dollar exchange rate makes it even higher.
Robert

Posted by: John Campbell (---.jetstream.xtra.co.nz)
Date: April 24, 2006 04:35PM

Robert, I havn't paid anything like that for freight in USD to New Zealand from the suppliers I mentioned above. I think you should emigrate! John

Posted by: Jan Podsiedlik (---.ed.shawcable.net)
Date: April 25, 2006 12:40AM

Robert, the $25 fee is on top of the shipping charge and is proportional to the declared value of the shipment so it may be higher or lower. My main problem with this fee is that I pay for shipping first to the dealer, and then a brokerage fee to the courier on delivery. The brokerage fee is not disclosed at the time of the purchase because it has nothing to do with the seller, so the seller is probably not aware that the real shipping cost for me is about twice of what the courier charges him.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster