I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need help: Problems with water under my wraps?
Posted by: Stefan Scherf (---.pools.arcor-ip.net)
Date: April 22, 2006 06:53PM

Hi,
after a week fishing a new rod in salt water I found some darken areas around most of the guide wraps. It looks like the wraps soaked some water.
I’ve used Batsons PVD TiCH plated snake guides and Gudebrods green size A no. 5896 Nylon. After wrapping I’ve made a coat from 50% U-40 Color Lock 2 color preserver thinned with 50% water and another coat of unthinned U-40 Color Lock 2. A day later I've done one coat with Flexcoat High Build. I always varnish the Flexcoat about 2mm on the blank beside the wraps and also put Flexcoat around the guide feet to give the water no chance to get to the thread.
If it is really water I have definetely no idea how it can come under the wraps.
What do you think happened to my wraps and how can I avoid the problem in future?
Is it a typical problem with color preservers?
Thanks for your help.
Stefan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need help: Problems with water under my wraps?
Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: April 22, 2006 08:32PM

If the color preserver was overlapped on the blank too then the water got in that way. Otherwise I don't know. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: April 22, 2006 09:10PM

I was 99.9% sure that I would guess what the cause of your problem is from reading just the first sentence of your post. That's why I do not use the stuff - it cause more problems than it fixes, if not right away then later as guide foor cracking develops, or if the finish over a guide is damaged.

Well I can't truthfully say that I do not use it - I do use it for sealing decals prior to finishing, but I do keep cp off the thread.

Lou

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: April 23, 2006 03:05AM

Did you fill the tunnel on the back side of the fee with thread finisht. If this area is not sealed water will get in
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 23, 2006 07:56AM

Lou is terribly incorrect about color preserver. 99% of the folks who use it never have a problem with it. We never want to assume that because we have a problem with something that it means the product is bad or that everyone has a problem with it. If this was the case, then we could throw out all the epoxy finishes on the market - how many times do you see people talking about not being able to get a level finish? And yet, many if not most are able to do so, time after time. Rarely is the problem with the product, but rather with the way the product is used.

The color preserver is not your problem. In fact, you didn't really use color preserver - you only applied water to your wraps. Why did you thin it? Water (which is what your 50% CP mix is mostly comprised of) will not seal your wraps.

The other thing you need to take care with, is to extend your finish just a bit past the edges of the thread. This keeps water from being able to reach the thread.

Bob's advice about filling the tunnels is also important.

Posted by: Rob Hale (---.ord.scnet.net)
Date: April 23, 2006 08:54AM

People forget that most successes are never reported on forums. These forums are a place where people come when they have problems. So a thousand successes are never reported but two or three problems get reported and make it seem like there is a constant problem with something.

FWIW I've used color preserver for years and never had any sort of problem with it. I use the Flex Coat type and it has always worked fine for me.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: April 23, 2006 09:40AM

Stefan:
You may not be getting water under your wraps. As Tom said you applied the water your self. May have just tacken a little tine in the sun for the discoloration to start.

Date: April 23, 2006 02:48PM

After reading it again, I tend to agree with Bob that water entered in the tunnel between guide foot and blank. But I'd have to see it for myself before I could really say for sure.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 23, 2006 10:05PM

I ALWAYS use CP and have never had that (or any) problem that wasn't caused by ME

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Stan Grace (69.146.116.---)
Date: April 23, 2006 10:17PM

In my experience water under the wraps lightens the area it is in rather than darkening it.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Stefan Scherf (---.wsw-online.de)
Date: April 24, 2006 01:22AM

First I want to say thanks for you help and sorry that I can't reply earlier.
My first coat was CP thinned with water. I've read (unfortunately I'm not sure where) that with the thinner CP the thread better soaks the CP/water mixture. The second coat was just CP. I definitely filled the tunnels on the guide feet and I also extend the finish a bit past the edges (2mm). And that's why I can't explain the reason for my problem.
Is it possible that the FlexCoat hast non-visible-micro-cracks?
In your answers I believe to hear that nobody makes the CP thinner with water. Any other opinions?
Thanks again.
Stefan

Date: April 24, 2006 02:29AM

I do not recommend thinning any CP. You can thin Flex Coat with denatured alcohol. I do not believe your micro creaks was do to a bad CP. Did you thin your finish and how did you apply the finish. It sounds like a application error to me. Most finishes will not show creaks right away. By some slim chance I hope you
prepd. and tapered the guide feet. If the guide feet are not fit to the blank and the ends tapered the finish will creak and chip.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Stefan Scherf (---.wsw-online.de)
Date: April 24, 2006 03:59AM

Bob,
I didn't thin the Flex Coat High Build finish. I definetely can't see any cracks in the finish so if there are cracks they must be very very small and (for my eyes) not really visible.
I always prepared and tapered the guide feet very accurate.
Maybe except that I've thinned the CP with water (I've done that first time) I have no idea what I've done wrong.
I also checked my older rods. All are in perfect condition. Even a very heavy in saltwater fished ten years old rod has no problems with the wraps. But I didn't used CP on the older rods and that's why I thougt there must be a coherence with the CP.
Stefan

Date: April 24, 2006 09:17AM

Penetration is not an issue. And it won't matter if you add water to your CP - the only thing that penetrates is then just... water. And water will not seal your wraps. It just evaporates.

Try not to thin your CP. Put it on in a good, wet coat. The threads should turn uniformly dark. Let it dry. Add a second coat if you feel the need. More than that just isn't necessary.

When apply finish, you want to make very sure that you get some up into that tunnel between the guide foot and blank. Use a toothpick to set a drop or two in there if you need to. This effectively seals out any water that could get in there.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.153.127.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: April 24, 2006 09:26AM

I am thinking several things might have happened.
The CP - I use 811 now and find it is a lot better. Thinned too much. The second coat may have trapped the water in the threads. Unless very-very thick. no thinning if you do very little.
Maybe the CP did not dry fully before applying the finish
Or if the CP was put on past the thread and onto the blank, was the finish put on completely over and past the CP. Perhaps water got under it under the finish and into the threads.

Date: April 27, 2006 03:38PM

An other question did you tightly pack your threads and then burnish them. Sometimes if threads are not oacked tight the blank will bleed threw.
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster