I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

newbie question about epoxy clean up
Posted by: Dave Guertin (---.dhcp.roch.mn.charter.com)
Date: April 22, 2006 10:09AM

I'm still trying to get the hang of how much epoxy to apply to reel seats and grips. Any suggestions about how to clean up excess epoxy that either leaks out from joined parts or finding little dribbles after it has already set either on the blank or components. Thanks for all the great advice so far and for helping me get better at my new found addiction!

"A bad day of fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work."

Blessings,
Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: newbie question about epoxy clean up
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 22, 2006 10:16AM

Parts fit should be snug, not loose and not tight. Thin glue lines are stronger than thick ones. Apply epoxy to both surfaces to be bonded and slide together. Try to wipe off any that gets pushed out before you fully seat the parts.

Liquid epoxies are fine for this type work, but do tend to continue to move and seep out of joints after you've seated them. A gel type epoxy such as RodBond will stay where you put it, thus is doesn't seep out of joints after the fact. Once you've slid the parts together and cleaned things up, you won't generally have any further epoxy come out of the joint.

Posted by: Leon Mack (---.dsl.sndg02.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 22, 2006 11:04AM

I think you have to keep looking it over for an hour or two if you want to catch every possible seepage. At first you will get more seepage as you refine how much epoxy you try to use but make sure you don't get too little to do the job. Generally I use a rag with some denatured alcohol to get at the hard to reach areas. I try to keep all solvents off of blanks these days, found that Windex seems to be adequate where I need to actually wipe the blank. I have found that getting it off before it cures is way better than trying to hide it or get it off afterwards. I have seen otherwise very nice rods spoiled by shiny little rings of epoxy showing up here or there. IMO this is the kind of thing that separates the good from the excellent. I've never seen any traces of leftover epoxy on rods made by the really good builders. Not even a trace. It's easy to overlook little things like this and it's really hard to fix it after the fact.

Posted by: Stan Grace (69.146.116.---)
Date: April 22, 2006 11:43AM

Save yourself a lot of work and worry and get some U-40 Rod Bond to adhere reelseats and grips! It'sthe second best thing since sliced bread.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: April 22, 2006 12:22PM

Denatured Alcohol or IsoPropyl Alcohol should clean-up most epoxy that needs to be wiped off before it has hardened. -Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2006 12:34PM

What about after it has set? Yes, the key is to remove the excess before it sets
up but if you miss a spot what is the best way to remove it then? Acetone?

This one area I still have problems with sometimes. RodBond really
has helped not having the problem in the first place. However, I did
an epoxy ramp that did quite turn out the way I hoped and now I have
a slight bit of 5 min. to get off the blank just in front of the ramp.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2006 12:40PM by Raymond_Adams.

Posted by: Dave Guertin (---.dhcp.roch.mn.charter.com)
Date: April 22, 2006 01:35PM

Thanks for the advice. My next supply order will include RodBond. Any suggestions though on how to remove those little epoxy gremlins that show up after the epoxy has already set up, especially near or on the reel seat?

"A bad day of fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work."

Blessings,
Dave

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2006 07:04PM

Dave sometimes if you are lucky due to the unprepared surface where the epoxy is you can slide an x-acto blade under there and pop it off being careful not to scratch the surface.Then clean with alcohol.Keep acetone AWAY from fishing rods.I still dont know why people need to use that stuff(too strong,health issues etc.)

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster