I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

GL2 owners?
Posted by: Robert Heaton (---.for.dsl.connect.net.au)
Date: April 22, 2006 05:30AM

What do you think about GL2 blanks?
What can you tell me about them?
Robert

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: GL2 owners?
Posted by: Chris Karp (---.netpenny.net)
Date: April 22, 2006 07:50AM

GL-2 is G-Humis's (Shimano) entry level graphite, its durable because it is thick walled. this also makes the flex slower and the over all blank heaiver. They useded to be a nice shade of blue.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: April 22, 2006 08:32AM

There are better valued and just as nice blanks from the sponsors to the left, let us know what your looking at and we'll steer you in the right direction. Loomis isn't very serious about their blank business.

Posted by: Emory Harry (67.170.180.---)
Date: April 22, 2006 08:44AM

Robert,
The Loomis GL2 blanks are constructed from standard modulus graphite sometimes called first generation graphite as are a high percentage of the blanks on the market. Rods can be built using this graphite that have the same actions and power as higher modulus graphites but they will be a little heavier. This means that they will have a lower resonant frequency and that translates into a little lower tip velocity and response time and a little lower efficiency or feel. But it is not all bad. Increased modulus of elasticity comes with lower strain energy or toughness. Rods constructed from higher modulus material are more fragile than rods constructed of standard modulus graphite. Because of the higher toughness and also the lower cost rods constructed of standard modulus are more than adequate in most fishing applications and actually preferable in many.

Posted by: Emory Harry (67.170.180.---)
Date: April 22, 2006 09:51AM

Robert,
I think that Spencer is right on with his recommendation to look at the blanks from the sponsors on the left for better value.

Posted by: Stan Grace (69.146.116.---)
Date: April 22, 2006 12:00PM

Robert
Emory has given you the best information you will find. The GL2 is a good strong blank but there are blanks from the sposors that have the same qualities at a portion of the cost.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.norf.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 23, 2006 12:30PM

Robert, I just finished building two 1448's for myself, and test casted one last week.....I love mine!!! Being a bit heavier doesn't bother me with these big sticks, and so far they outcast anything I currently have. Mine are built casting vice spinning, and are rigged with Daiwa SHV 30's.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster