I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Building a finish mixer
Posted by: Kevin Norstuen (---.worldspan.com)
Date: April 21, 2006 01:41PM

Hi. I have the motor for the mixer. I'm planning to use the flex coat mixing cups. What are you guys using to hold the cup (the part that mounts to the motor shaft)? Also, where did you get the steel mixing balls? Thanks for your time!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Building a finish mixer
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 21, 2006 04:08PM

You can take a cork ring and epoxy it to the motor shaft. Build the shaft up a bit if you have to. Epoxy a cup on top of the cork ring.

A second cup is dropped into that one. When the mixing is done, left the second cup out of the first one.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: April 21, 2006 05:08PM

Kevin,

What I did was use a scrap piece of 1/2 inch thick mahogany (or any other fairly dense wood) and cut out a cylinder with a hole saw.

Another hole was then drilled into the side of the cylinder. A short, threaded aluminum sleeve was then epoxied into the side hole, through which a set-screw was used to tighten the base on the motor shaft. Overkill I'm sure.

After much searching for ball-bearings, I ran into a fellow who was a fisherman and worked at a transmission repair shop. Told him what I was trying to build and he gave me some bearings in the ball size required. Each bearing had a number of balls and it took a while disassembling the bearings to get the balls free. The outter bearing case is tough stainless steel on these suckers. Used a dremel cutt-off wheel, eye protection & patience.

Hope this helps.

Stan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2006 05:13PM by Stan Gregory.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: April 21, 2006 05:31PM

You can go to Lowe’s. In the plumbing department they have caps for gluing on the ends of pipes. Look for them in the PVC pressure fitting’s area. (not the drainage fittings). Take a cup with you, they will have them from ½” up to 2”. Pick out the size that works best for the cup you are using. Mount to shaft, your good to go.

If you would rather use rollers instead of bearings, you can get some Titanium Carolina rig worm weights at the tackle store that will do the job

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: April 21, 2006 07:17PM

Go to a sporting goods store that sells sling shots. They ususally have ball bearings that are used for sling shot ammo.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (208.5.241.---)
Date: April 21, 2006 07:24PM

Next time just wrap the bearing up in a shop rag/towel and place it in a sizeable vise and apply ampel enough pressure to pop the outer wall. The balls will come right out.

Jay

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: April 21, 2006 07:35PM

Jay, that's good info. Wish I'd known that before tackling with the dremel.

Stan

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: April 22, 2006 04:54AM

If you have an acetaline tourch or plasma cutter, you can also make quick work of the outer bearing.

Jay

Posted by: Raymond Vinzant (---.gci.net)
Date: April 22, 2006 02:13PM

Has anyone ever tried a laboratory-style heat plate / magnetic stirrer? I use these all the time at the lab I work at, and always wondered how they would do on epoxy. I would think it would be great with a small stir bar. Not that I need one, just wondering...They're probably expensive.

Ray Vinzant
Juneau, AK

Posted by: thad peach (66.129.100.---)
Date: April 24, 2006 08:35AM

If you can't find a bearing to destroy then you can find them at www.mcmaster.com. They are stainless steel. Part # 9291K27 these are 5/16 dia. and are sold in a package of 50.

Posted by: Mike Casey (69.51.87.---)
Date: April 24, 2006 08:47AM

Lowe's sells them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster