I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Anyone still use the Story Pole guide placement method?
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: April 20, 2006 08:59AM

I have my bullet-proof vest on so I'll ask the question - does any of the old time rodbuilder's still use this method for guide spacing? I stumbled across the article from the Angler's Workshop website and found it very interesting. Since I still struggle with flexing a blank 1/4, then 1/2, then 3/4 and knowing the difference between a good line angle versus a bad line angle in the static distribution test, this sounds like a reasonable alternative for me.

I've been criticized in the past for maybe spending too much time on guide spacing but I believe if you're going to do something, then you should do it right or not at all. And the static deflection test still poses too many variables for me especially since my old posting of "If 20 different rod builders static tested the same blank". If there could be considerable differences between various rodbuilders using the same test on the same blank, then it would appear the static deflection test is subjective and not a repeatable process. But the story pole method appears to have some merit and at least is somewhat repeatable. Just wondering if anyone uses this method or not? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone still use the Story Pole guide placement method?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 20, 2006 09:38AM

There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. A similar method was designed by a local rod builder and in fact was the first of its type that I had seen when building some of my first rods back in the 1970's. I covered his method in one of the volume 4 issues of RodMaker.

I don't know that it would give everyone the same results - that would depend on each person selecting the same number of guides, as well as all locating the butt guide in the same place (what's the chance of that?). But I would say that it's a great starting point and on casting and fly rods should get you really close to a nice set up.

For spinning rods, however, I don't like it. The New Guide Concept is superior in a number of ways.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.fsepg.com)
Date: April 20, 2006 09:40AM

I know of the technique, but the problem is your putting the guides on in the same spot for that type of rod and length. The one reason for using the static guide placement is that you can take lets say 5 of the same blanks and when finished going through the static placement, the guides would not be in the same locations for all 5 blanks. Even blanks that are suppose to be the same, they will flex differently from each other and need the guides placed accordingly. To me the static guide placement will always get the proper placement and the number of guides needed for any particular blank.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: April 20, 2006 10:53AM

Alright, Mr. TIm Collins - Maybe now it's your turn to educate us (me).

What exactly is the "STORY POLE" Method of Line Guide Placement? Could you at least provide a web-link to a reference, so I can educate myself on this. Thanks, Tim.

I recently followed an RBO Thread on a 9-ft 5-wt 6-pc FLY rod, and noticed that two independent rod-builders (our Steve Kartalia, and Bob Widgren of FFMag) BOTH used TEN guides, and EVERY SINGLE Guide Position was within 2 inches or LESS of each other, WITHOUT EVEN USING the SAME GUIDES. (But it is true that snake guides and ring guides are similar enough as to be interchangable SIZE-wise.) That sounds to me like what I would call within the range of EQUIVALENCY.

The more i learn about guide selection & placement, the more the BIG PICTURE keeps coming into view. Maximizing the greatest number of all of your OVER-ALL priority design goals is much more important than maximizing any one design feature or perfomance criteria, especially if the other goals have to be unduly compromised.

IMO, -Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville, FL-USA*****

P.S. - Thanks, Tim Collins, for bringing another interesting twist into the discussion of Guide Placement. -CMH+++

Date: April 20, 2006 11:52AM

Here it is Cliff. It's also on the top right hand side of Angler's Workshop website. If the one I list below doesn't work, try their's.

[www.anglersworkshop.com]

As far as the story pole not catching the differences in different blanks, I think it does. The instructions are while the blank is horizontal, deflect the tip down until the "bend" reaches the butt guide. Seems to me that regardless whether you use the static test or the story pole, a fast action blank will have a "sharp bend" in the upper section and a moderate action blank would have a more even rounded bend to it. The verticle lines from the story pole spaced out per the article would place guides closer together in the upper section of the fast action and further apart for the moderate action blank - isn't that how it's suppose to work anyway?

I think I might have to set up something on my garage wall for my next project just so I can see exactly how it works for myself.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 20, 2006 11:56AM

Not exactly - even a fast action blank is progressive. The more you flex it or the greater the load you place on it, the more the tip will straighten out and the load will transfer to a more deeply flexed butt area.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.255.46.11.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: April 21, 2006 12:21AM

Hello Tim,

Jim Mick made a presentation of the Story Pole Method at the Northwest Rodbuilding Meeting in April. He can probably answer many of your questions. His materials did not include his e-mail address, but Todd Vivian at Lamiglas undoubtedly has it and could help you. We also heard a presentation by Don Morton about guide spacing as well. You might want to contact him as well.
I hope this helps.

Mike Blomme

Date: April 21, 2006 06:50AM

Thanks Michael, I'm very familiar with Don Morton's Equal Angle/Increasing Angle guide placement. I even made my own template with his help. I have a 13' 3 piece Lamiglas Certified Pro blank on order and I'll contact Todd as well for additional input. Thanks again.

Posted by: Richard Chappel (---.cleveland.apk.net)
Date: April 21, 2006 07:18AM

Tim, how 'bout sharing your info ? I read the story pole article and felt it left something to be desired in explanation. Can you explain Don Morton's method ?

Date: April 21, 2006 04:37PM

Hi Richard, Don's article on Equal-Angle guide placement appeared in Rodmaker Volume 4, Issue #6. I'm packing and leaving for a trip right now as I'm typing this and the info is a bit lengthy to explain properly. Your email address is hidden so if you shoot me an email, I'll send you the majority of the article when I get back.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: April 21, 2006 05:00PM

Reference: Applications for Static Deflection Guide Spacing, as practiced by Jim Mick
URL Citation: [www.anglersworkshop.com]

What Australians call a Story Pole is a very long version of what we US-Americans call a Carpenter’s Square.

Reader’s Digest Version (CMH+++): The Story Pole Method for Static Guide Spacing projects an EQUAL INTERVALS condition from a straight line standard ruler onto the curved arc of the statically flexed rod blank. Like a flawed 2-D map of the 3-D globe, the Story Pole Method exaggerates distances between the parallel lines as it projects them from the straight ruler onto the curved arc surface of the rod blank. This distortion is greatest in the tip-section, lesser in the mid-section, and least near the butt guide.

Note that the Equal Intervals Method itself is intended to generate equal spacing intervals as ARCS along the rod blank itself. It was never intended to project equal intervals, like a shadow does, from a straight line (the ruler) onto a curved rod. Doing so introduces distortion, because the Story Pole Method is a LINEAR PROJECTION along PARALLEL LINES, originating from the ruler, projected onto the bent rod; rather than being a CURVI-LINEAR INTERVAL of UNIFORM DISTANCE that is replicated around the curved arc of the bent rod. Two completely different geometries.

The Equal Angles Method is a RADIAL PROJECTION of EQUAL ARCS emanating from a common center or converging onto that common point.

Any form of the Equal Intervals Method assumes the use of similar size guides, and a fairly uniform rod taper over the section spaced by the Equal Intervals Method. Also, the Equal Intervals Method would use too many guides toward the butt guide.

The Story Pole Method may be decently suited for rod blanks with a slow to moderate action-taper and a lower power rating, such as FLY rods. However, IMO, the suitability of the Story Pole Method would be thus limited to such rods; suspect in other styles of rods with faster taper-actions & higher power ratings; and superceded by other Guide Spacing Methods (especially for Spinning Rods).

Namely, Don Morton’s Equal Angles Method or Tom Kirkman’s Intersect Method, or any variations thereon (like the Trifecta Zonal Method). As with any tool or principle, know its applications and its limits, and use accordingly. If they are ignored, your results may be less than satisfactory compared to other methodologies.

Caveat emptor, –Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville, FL-USA***** cmkmhall@ufl.edu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2006 05:05PM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Richard Chappel (---.cleveland.apk.net)
Date: April 21, 2006 06:21PM

Tim, your email is hidden also. Maybe a glitch. Email me at Rich@ErieReelWorks.com
Thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster