I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Got to make a 20 Footer ???
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.153.32.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: April 19, 2006 09:28AM

Looking to make a 20 foot 5 PC ?? 6-8 LB line for pier fishing. needed to keep the fish from going under the pier. Small fish.
Any suggestions ? Looking at spey blanks. Looked at Sage, $$$ Rainshadow, not bad, St Croix. ??
has any one built one ? Would have to extend a blank. Weight is an issue so I was thinking of Re-Coils ?

What do ya think Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Got to make a 20 Footer ???
Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: April 19, 2006 09:38AM

What pier are you making this for?

Date: April 19, 2006 09:49AM

A pier in Hawaii. Are there any Japanese blanks any where ? Thought they made some thing ? I see a lot of about 12-15 ft spey blanks. Less I can talk him into that size.

Date: April 19, 2006 10:18AM

Geez, how'd you end up building a rod for someone in Hawaii?

Date: April 19, 2006 10:36AM

I'm Good !!
Have not yet, just looking to see if I can. Got several over there now. Heck I ain't no slouch.

You sound surprised

Date: April 19, 2006 11:30AM

I am. for someone in NJ to get orders from Hawaii, you must be doing something right.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: April 19, 2006 12:01PM

I was just lucky he clicked on my site.

About the blank ?? Thoughts ?

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: April 19, 2006 02:36PM

Bill, if you're smart you'll build the rod for free and just charge him a delivery fee. The delivery fee would include a plane ticket and a spare room in his house for 1 week. Sorry, can't help with blank recommendations. 20' is 9.5' longer than any rod I've ever built.

Posted by: Randy Gerrick (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: April 19, 2006 04:03PM

Bill,

Have you looked at some of the manufactures in the UK or throughout Europe? A few makers that I can think of off the top of my head make rods near 20'. One is Harrison Rods. Another is Maver, and the last one I can think of is Trabucco. I hope this helps you out.

Randy

Posted by: Stan Grace (69.146.116.---)
Date: April 19, 2006 04:04PM

Convince them that a ten foot rod will work if they reel twice as fast!

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: April 19, 2006 04:46PM

There is a french company that might have one almost that long Grauvell is the name I believe very light for the size (Kevlar?)

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: April 19, 2006 08:59PM

What do you think the butt diameter on a 20 footer would be . . . . an inch and a half?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.144.87.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: April 19, 2006 09:56PM

Steve Does that come with a meal ??
Thanks Randy, I'll see what I come up with.
Stan and a 5' even faster ??
I'll check that out Barry Thanks

If I had a larger place with a lot more spare blanks laying around, I know I could piece some thing together CCing as I go. Just put pictures of what I have to work with

Posted by: Phil Richmond (205.56.145.---)
Date: April 20, 2006 05:53PM

Bill,

Living in Japan they use a lot of those rods here, but I have yet to see any of those kind of blanks. Most of the real long rods they have here are telescoping blanks with the guides you glue on and plate type reel seats. Makes them very light, but haven't found those kind of blanks yet.

Phil

Posted by: Mark B. Gonsalves (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: April 20, 2006 10:58PM

The long rods used on the piers here in Hawaii are almost exclusively telescoping rods. Most are made in Asia with the best ones coming from Japan. They range in price from $175.00-$1000.00+. Some people here create their own by attaching guides to telescoping or sectioned handpoles. All sectioned handpoles I have seen here come from Japan or Korea. Hope this sheds some light on the subject.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: April 21, 2006 06:30AM

Longest I have found were the fly of Sage and T&T. Up to 15 - 16' long. With what the guy wants I would have to buy a blank and play to see if it could be extended ? More measuring and several more blanks $$$$$ If it does not work, I should eat it ??? Can't afford that !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster