I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod portfolios and record keeping
Posted by: Curtis Beers (---.199.204.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: April 17, 2006 06:24AM

I was wondering if anyone keeps a photo log of the rods they make for customers, I'm some of you do or there wouldn't be a gallery.
I have started an excel spread sheets for keeping track of rod components so the customer has an accounting of parts for future reference (my records too, other than reciepts) and I got to thinking about keeping a photo log in addition to the spreadsheet. It could be used for future build projects to give people an idea of what they can expect.
Pictures of fish sell lures so why not do the same with the rods we make?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod portfolios and record keeping
Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: April 17, 2006 07:37AM

I have one in Excel as well. I keep track of ALL rods, my own, friends, family, adn teh very few customers I have, lol. Blank, grips, guides, notes, wrap length, spacing, colors used (I have a seperate chart for teh wraps on top of that info), I also keep track of what I charged, what I paid for components, etc. It REALLY has made it easier when re-ordering a blank, I know what guides I used, or when making a rod for the same person, I know exactly how long & thick the grips were, if I cut teh reel seat threads down, up/downlocking. The more info the better.

I tinkered with cutting/pasting photos of the rod into teh spreadsheet, but after 3 or 4 pictures Excel takes a long time to open and close. I've pondered making an actual print album of all teh rods I've built, but that might get me more busniess which I'm not capable of handling at this point.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 17, 2006 07:41AM

Keeping a photographic record of each rod you build has nothing but advantages. You can use it in a portfolio, provide the customer a photo diary of his rod being built, have photo identification in case of theft, etc.

There is also a rod-build data sheet on the photo site here. It should be under my name. If you don't want to make your own, this is a good one to copy and work with. You can list parts, prices, guide spacing, construction details, etc.

Posted by: Bill Worden (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: April 17, 2006 09:43AM

I do both. An excel sheet listing construction components etc. and a Portfolio.
The portfolio is a simple three ring binder with Photo sleeves. I do one or two 8x10's of each rod.
Really helps people with ideas and sometimes I refer to it for ( how the heck did I do that?)

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: April 17, 2006 10:07AM

TOM KIRKMAN'S : TITLE = "Rod Spec Sheet" It is a *.JPG file
[www.rodbuilding.org]
Filed in the "MISCELLANEOUS" Category

Happy Easter, -Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: Doug Moore (---.dllstx.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: April 17, 2006 10:08AM

Bill, Amen on how the heck did I do that LOL! I've too have to refer to pictures to refresh my memory on something I don't do all the time.

Regards......Doug@
TCRds

Posted by: Curtis Beers (---.199.204.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: April 17, 2006 04:02PM

Thanks, I didn't know that there was a build sheet in archives. I see It has some useful data that I can pick from and incorporate into the xcel sheet.

Posted by: gary marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: April 17, 2006 04:20PM

since most of my repair work is bamboo rods i keep very detailed sheets including a sample of the old thread if I replace it.

My wife the avid scrapbooker has even made me two small albums with the before and after pics and notes on what was done.
I dropped on of the books off at the local fly shop where I draw alot of business from. that little $15 book paid for itself in one weekend. Best advertising ever. i went by the shop on Saturday and two guys were talking about it while looking over it. Got two jobs right there.
Something to think about.

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.bal-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: April 17, 2006 07:35PM

My Excel spreadsheet comes in handy all the time when a customer asks for a rod "just like that one you made me in 1999. It only takes me a few seconds to determine that the blank he wants is no longer in production (which seems to be the case most of the time).

Posted by: Scott Throop (---.ventca.adelphia.net)
Date: April 17, 2006 09:45PM

I also keep a photo record of every custom rod I build, as well as a blueprint / spec.sheet. I have accumulated almost 5GB of rod pics since I started. I discovered a cool little program for cataloging and organizing the pics....makes it easy to find and browse for wrap ideas for customers too! Its called Picasa, made by Google, and its free to download. Lotts of cool edit features, screensaver generator, webpage generator...etc.

[picasa.google.com]

Posted by: Randy Gerrick (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: April 18, 2006 02:32PM

What type of camera do most of you use? I'm sure high quality photos are needed to show off high quality work. If anyone is using an SLR what type of lens and settings are you using?

Thanks,

Randy

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 18, 2006 09:24PM

Randy,

Excellent question!! I'd be interested in the answers also.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 18, 2006 09:46PM

I use digital. My SLR and lenses haven't been off the closet shelf in half a dozen years at least. With the digital editing software available, it's hard to beat digital, IMO

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Scott Throop (---.ventca.adelphia.net)
Date: April 19, 2006 04:44AM

I use a cheap Nikon 3.2 megapixel digital...Nikon Coolpix 3200. This cam does close-ups great....anything else, just so-so.
Heres a good closeup shot with this cam:
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2006 05:11AM by Scott Throop.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (69.241.124.---)
Date: April 19, 2006 08:43AM

I use the exact same camera Scott,
Had a real hard time taking close-ups till I found the wifes book and studied up
on the macro settings. Now it amazes me what the camera see's that my eyes
do not!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: April 19, 2006 10:51PM

Curtis Beers-Log for Rods ... Fran Park ... April 19, 2006
[www.rodbuilding.org] ... Several years ago I purchased a software program from VMT Software in Rogue River, Oregon that is called Rodmaker v1.3. It is a very useful tool for logging rods, blank inventory, vendors, customers, including what components are used, color of wraps, finish, handle size, guides & placement, etc. It also allows you to upload a photo of the rod linked to the particular rod's fact sheet. I don't know if it is still available, but it was cheap, and I still use it. ..... Curtis, I thought you might be interested in contacting this outfit and asking them about it. 1-800-457-7818

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster