I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Salus Thread update and a question
Posted by: Wylie Wiggins (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: April 16, 2006 01:34AM

Hi All,
I mentioned I would do some testing of this Salus aka Athem thread and it really looks to be good stuff to me so far. Barring the rainy days although from what I know rainy or over cast days have a higher UV rating the colors are holding up well. Okay it's only been a week or two but I'm just about sold. I'll post pictures after some more time has progressed. Any suggestions as just how long to sun soak this thread before I should be totally sold?

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Salus Thread update and a question
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 17, 2006 08:42AM

That's hard to say - putting it out in the sun for 3 weeks wouldn't allow you to emphatically state that it will never fade, only that it won't fade in 3 weeks under the same exposure you've put it against. How that constant exposure would compare to a rod used for say, twice a week, for 5 hours per use, for a year, under combination sunny and cloudy skies is something I couldn't even begin to guess at.

All these threads will fade at some point, although I would think there would be a reasonable time limit or amount of exposure that would classify as one being relatively colorfast. Keep in mind that most commercial rod manufacturers feel that the "lifetime" of a fishing rod is 3 years.

If I were doing this sort of test just to satisfy my own curiousity, I'd probably leave the thread out for all of June, July and August and then decide for myself how well the thread held up. Of course, you'll be keeping some samples in the cool, dark, as a control group to compare against later.

Date: April 17, 2006 10:36PM

Thanks for the answer Tom,
I do agree that it would all boil down to a matter of opinion. I do have matching wrapped dowel hidden from light in a cabinet for the controlled test so all is lagit. It turn out that one of the colors I was sent by Mom turned out to be rayon so I will just disregard that one as it is very weak compared to the poly.
Only time will tell with this one I guess.
Thanks again Tom.

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Date: March 16, 2007 12:26AM

Times up I guess and if I had taken my time with the coatings I believe the Salus poly would look a lot better then it does. The only areas that had anything I would consider rejectable are the areas where the coatings were thin and manage to expose the thread to the elements of the winter although very mild this year. I'll post a picture as soon as I get one shot for the photo page.

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster