I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need help replacing/rewrapping old guides!
Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (166.61.238.---)
Date: April 15, 2006 03:59PM

I did some searches, but couldn't find the information I needed. Does anyone have any suggestions for a resource for removing old wraps and re-wrapping? Or, maybe some general advice before I plough into this project? Thanks in advance.
Tight lines,
Hunter

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need help replacing/rewrapping old guides!
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: April 15, 2006 04:21PM

Run a sharp knife along the top of the guide foot and cut thru the threads and
finish epoxy. Pop off the guide and peel the epoxy and threads off.
Read the FAQ and Library sections for more.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: April 15, 2006 04:41PM

I cannot stress enough (in addition to Raymond's good advice) how much a little heat from a hair dryer will help in removing that old finish. If you have a Gudebrod thread burnishing tool, the sharper edge down near the handle works great to rub back and forth on the blank (after the wrap has been removed) to remove the rest of that 'hard-to-remove' finish.

Be sure to put your hand out front of that hair dryer to determine the proper distance to hold it from the blank. You won't want to damage the blank by heating it up too much. When you can comfortably hold your hand in front of the hair dryer, that's the right distance. You'll need to warm it a few times in each guide wrap's area to get it all off, but it really works great and makes this job soooo much easier to do.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.onspeed.com)
Date: April 15, 2006 05:07PM

Your thumb nail is the perfect tool for removeing thread and finish after you have made the cut on top of the guide foot, so let them grow, also works good for packing the new wrap.

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.onspeed.com)
Date: April 15, 2006 05:08PM

duplicate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2006 08:02AM by Bob Crook.

Posted by: Pete Kornegay (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: April 15, 2006 07:36PM

Hunter- Just to chime in- doing what you are doing is a great way to learn a lot about how rods are made and how to get started if you haven't already, etc. I once put 28 hours of labor into rebuilding a surf rod for a friend.

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: April 16, 2006 06:09AM

Another little tip, once the guide is off I put masking tape at each end of the old wrap before I begin to peel off the old epoxy and thread and left over residue to protect the blank, eliminates any rod damage from scraping overruns.

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (166.61.238.---)
Date: April 17, 2006 12:20PM

Thank you to all. I'll let you know how it proceeds.
Tight lines,
Hunter

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: April 18, 2006 01:12PM

LOL see you in a couple of weeks Cant stress enough to TAKE YOUR TIME
allen

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster