I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

FORECASTS & GUIDES – A MINI REVIEW
Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: April 14, 2006 08:16PM

Today’s choices for guides and their selection can border on dizzying. For the newcomer & old-timer alike, keeping track of the code letters for the different guide styles is like keeping up with a foreign language. And leaving behind old habits can be hard to do. But CQI – “Constant Quality Improvement” – is the only way to go, and that’s why we are here at the RBO Forum.

For many years, I thought there was only one brand of line guides to trust on my fishing rods. Now I see that I have been walking around with blinders on. Now I am excited to comment on the EXCELLENT QUALITY and SUPERIOR VALUE that BATSON Enterprise’s FORECAST Line Guides offers.

I have recently gotten & inspected all the styles of ForeCast Guides & Tip-Tops that I would expect to consider for my rod projects, which range from 10-20# Spinning Rods to 30-50# Boat Rods. I have examined every style & color listed below, and swept over their frames & rings with my eyelashes.

In every detail and overall design parameters, ForeCast Guides & Tip-Tops offer an excellent first choice in guide design, quality of construction and pricing. All that adds up to performance that is something to write home about, IMO.

Many considerations go into selecting a line guide: Price, brand; ring & frame / color & material; ring size; ring height; guide mass; frame flexibility & stiffness; foot-print (toe-to-toe span; foot length & width); ring & frame strength; ring & frame ruggedness; overall aesthetics; and the guide layout’s dynamic co-operation with the rod blank and your overall design goals. Using more than one style of guide on a single rod is often one trick to getting a rod to be all it can be.

With FORECAST Guides & Tip-Tops, the quality of all the frame plating and the ring polish & coatings is so fine, I think “flawless” is the only word to describe them. The precision in the mechanical tolerances is also astounding. These rings are glue-welded into their frames from BOTH sides – they ain’t going nowhere! – making worries about popped rings a thing of the past. And the strength of the Zirconium rings puts to rest worries about ring cracking. The PVD coatings are so smooth, your eye would have to be an interferometer or electron microscope to detect any imperfections. Your braid and monofilament fishing line will think they are being held in place by a frictionless magnetic field, and not a ring device. The Vickers Hardnesses (VH) for the PVD coatings are ~1600, and are actually higher than the Zirconium itself (~1400). These PVD-Zirc rings are more than able to resist the abrasion of any sand-filled braided line. (VH: Silica Sand ~400.)

A Mini-Review of ForeCast Guide & Tip-Top Series for 10# – 50# Rods:

Forecast “-ST-” Series – The ST’s are the Turbo-style, folded-frame, Double-Foot, 3-Legged, low-medium ring height, “Boat & Trolling” style guides. The most important thing I can say about them is that they are not unduly massive, considering how strong they are. And they are remarkably flexible for so sturdy a frame and ring support. The geometry of the guide frame is such that when held in your fingers and flexed in your hands, they are as flexible as the UD or VD Series, down between the heels, but sturdy as a wall around the ring. This is because the fulcrum for bending is at the TOP of the guide ring, acting like a hinge, instead of UNDER the guide ring, as in the UD or VD style. This results in a longer lever arm to flex the frame, and reduces rod blank stiffening. The ST Series is really the way to go for the heavier duty salt-water rods of larger tip diameters and heavier powers. … Match with “-ST-“ (Turbo) or “-SU-“ (Heavy) Series Forecast Tip-Tops.

ForeCast “-VS3-” Series – The VS3’s are the newest pride & joys of the ForeCast Guides, and it is easy to see and feel why. The VS3’s are Batson’s new High-Frame Style, Single-Foot, 3-Legged Spinning Guide. The VS3’s have a high ring height, a low-mass ring, and a low-mass frame. IMO, the real genius of the VS3’s frame is the 3-dimensional nature to the ring support. This begins as a folded-corner, V-notch shape stemming from the heel, and gives rise to three upper legs. These 3 legs, when viewed from the side, form a slightly non-planar, 3-dimensional base for the guide ring. These legs, though long, are very sturdy and are relatively low-flex, because of this special 3-D design. The VS3 is one single-foot guide which will act less like a spring, and will preserve its shape under higher loads. The VS3’s truly seem suitable for a wide range of uses, from very light fresh-water rods, to medium-heavy salt-water rods. Consider them for all your Concept Spinning Rod Guides, and for the 180 degree Running Guides in your Spiral Casters or Boat Rods. … Match with “-L-“ (Lite) or “-P-“ (Medium) or “-SU-“ Series Forecast Tip-Tops.

ForeCast “-VS-” Series – The VS Series is the classic V-Frame Style, Single-Foot, 2-Legged Spinning Guide. The VS’s have a medium-high ring height, a medium-mass ring, and a low-mass frame. They provide a great choice where a flexible, low-mass, short foot-print, lite to medium duty guide is favored. … Match with “-L-“ or “-P-“ Series Forecast Tip-Tops.

ForeCast “-VD-“ Series – The “VD” Series is the classic V-Frame Style, Double-Foot, 3-Legged Spinning Guide. The VD’s have a medium-high ring height, a medium-mass ring, and a low-medium- mass frame. For a given ring size, the VD frame is identical to the VS frame, except that the VD Frame has a 2nd leg brace sloping down from the 6 o’clock position into the 2nd guide foot. They provide a great choice where a medium-height guide in a stiffer frame is preferred, for Medium to Heavy duty rods. … Match the VS3’s with a “-P-“ or “-SU-“ Series Forecast Tip-Top.

ForeCast “-UD-“ Series – The “UD” Series is the classic U-Frame Style, Double-Foot, 3-Legged Casting Guide. The UD’s have a low-ring height, a medium-mass ring, and a medium-mass frame. The UD frame is somewhat similar to the VD frame, but lower. They provide a great choice where a low-height ring in a less prominent frame is preferred, for Lite to Medium-Heavy duty rods. Match with “-P-“ or “-SU-“ Series Forecast Tip-Tops.

ForeCast “-FL-” Series – The “FL” Series is the classic Single-Foot, 1-Legged, Low-Frame FLY Guide. The absolute minimalist, in terms of guide mass and guide profile. Excellent for all fly-rods, and also an excellent choice for the Running Guides of Concept Spinning Rods or Spiral Casting Rods, of Ultra-Lite to Medium power. . … Match with “-L-“ Series Forecast Tip-Tops.

These “-FL-“ Series FLY Guides & Tip-Tops are actually quite sturdy, because of their compact geometry, and fairly broad legs. On the tip-tops, the short wire arms and generous weld of the arms to the tube also make for a very strong tip-top for its size. … I think it took me the longest to see the value of using the FLY guides on lite to medium duty rods. But now I see how the larger ring sizes do progressively lift the line away from the rod blank, and offer another alternative to the other single-foot styles (VS/3) for use in lite-tip rods.

I hope this helps you expand your choices for Guides & Tip-Tops, and gives you some more reasons to think FORECAST for your Guides & T-T’s on your next rod project. I’m very glad I finally did.

All of these ForeCast Guide & Tip-Top Series come in either a Hard Aluminum Oxide Ring (-LG), or a Zirconium Ring with a PVD (Physical Vapor Deposition) Coating. The PVD Ring Colors are Silver / Ti-Chrome (-CG); Blue / Ti-Oxide (-UG); Gold / Ti-Nitrate (-NG).

A new line of ForeCast Guide Ring Colors is the CHAMELEON Colors. These are being made available in all of the above frame styles, in the Light Ti-Chrome (LTC-) colored frames.

All of these ForeCast Guide & Tip-Top Series come in a SS304 Stainless Steel Frame and various colors: Black Chrome (B-); Light Ti-Chrome (LTC-); or Polished Stainless Steel (_-). The guide feet are factory ground before final finishing; a lite touch-up may be all they need.

By the way, if a DF guide toe is digging into a rod blank, chances are there is a SLIP condition occurring under your guide wraps. If it were perfectly tight, there would be no cutting action, just flexion of the guide frame and some stiffening of the rod blank. The only way a guide toe can shave INTO the underwrap or rod blank is if it SLIDES fore & aft during flexion. To correct this on future rod-projects, the friction between the guide feet and the wrap thread has to be increased. This can be accomplished by: increased thread tension; using an under-wrap; putting a brushed-texture to the under-side and / or upper-side of your guide feet; and conforming the 3-dimensional shape of your guide feet to the rod blank as closely as possible (so as to maximize the contact area for friction to be established). The only other way to reduce this cutting is to use SFs.

Blank stiffening from the bridgework of a guide’s span can be checked in a variety of ways. One simple way is to flex the guide in your fingers, and then hold it against a scrap of blank (or long wooden BBQ skewer) and flex it there as well. Not very scientific, but a quick way to check for effect before final selection.

Robert Tignor, Ray Brown and Kevin Smith at www.FishSticks4U.com are a FULL-LINE BATSON Dealer. And Batson makes everything needed for any rod project. Their web-site lists ALL the specifications for each ForeCast Line Guide, including: OD-ID; H, L; frame & ring / material & color. With prices and service that will spoil you.

BATSON – Excellent Quality and Superior Value.
[www.batsonenterprises.com]

FISHSTICKS4U – You can’t build just one.
[www.FishSticks4U.com]

Wishing you all a Happy Passover,
Good Friday, Happy Easter
and Better Rod-Building,
-Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville, FL-USA*****

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2006 08:22PM by Cliff Hall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FORECASTS & GUIDES – A MINI REVIEW
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 14, 2006 08:27PM

Sounds awful close to being a full fledged commercial, Cliff. The exact same thing could be said for the great lineup of American Tackle guides, particularly their awesome various color zirconia rings and matching color plated frames!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.119.---)
Date: April 14, 2006 09:00PM

Uh, Cliff, I think the Forecast American Tackle, CUI, Sevier and Pacific Bay guides all come from the same factory??

No harm done but this is more a commercial than a review. But I will say that you're usually pretty helpful to us here so it doesn't bother me.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: April 15, 2006 12:45PM

It wasn't meant that way!!!!! All of the ones that Shawn mentioned are every bit as high quality. They are ALL good!! Your "infomercial" is pretty biased unless you want to compare all on a measureable basis!

Mike

Posted by: Jeffrey Wolfanger (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: April 15, 2006 02:41PM

I can't read posts that long.

Posted by: Bill Rice (---.235.184.47.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: April 15, 2006 03:18PM

Cliff:

I say "KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!" I don't see your name on the sponsor's list ! I find your posts to be very helpful and clear! We are very lucky to have someone who is as smart and Quick to lend some information to others as you are.
I also find it hard to soar with the eagles when you are stuck on the ground picking dirt with the chickens!

GO GATORS!!

Bill Rice

Date: April 15, 2006 05:16PM

Jeffrey Wolfanger wrote: “I can't read posts that long.”

Reader’s Digest version: Batson’s Forecast Line Guides offer a great selection of styles for your various rod projects. FishSticks4U is a full-line Batson Dealer that offers a great website, great prices and great service. Honing your guide selection & placement skills can give you that edge on the crowd that makes your rods look like a glittering sword. …

You know, like it says on the hat: “Fish fear me – Woman want me”.

If you think it’s hard to READ a Post that long, imagine WRITING one that long !!!

Happy Easter, -Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville, FL-USA*****

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/2006 05:27PM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Jeffrey Wolfanger (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: April 15, 2006 10:40PM

Cliff-

The cliff noted version was much better for me ;) no pun attended...lol:)

Cliff Hall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jeffrey Wolfanger wrote: “I can't read posts that
> long.”
>
> Reader’s Digest version: Batson’s Forecast Line
> Guides offer a great selection of styles for your
> various rod projects. FishSticks4U is a full-line
> Batson Dealer that offers a great website, great
> prices and great service. Honing your guide
> selection & placement skills can give you that
> edge on the crowd that makes your rods look like a
> glittering sword. …
>
> You know, like it says on the hat: “Fish fear me –
> Woman want me”.
>
> If you think it’s hard to READ a Post that long,
> imagine WRITING one that long !!!
>
> Happy Easter, -Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville,
> FL-USA*****
>
>
>
> Edited 1 times. Last edit at 04/15/06 05:27PM by
> Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: April 16, 2006 01:27AM

I was at the Woodland rod show last weekend and the Batson company was there with their fantastic line of products for the custom rod builder. Bill Batson gave a lenghty talk on what goes into their line. It was an eye opener.
Good Wraps Bob

Date: April 16, 2006 04:53AM

Hiya, Bob - Hopefully, you'll get some time to give us some highlights from Bill Batson's talk?

I could tell from a couple of e-mails back & forth with Bill Batson over recent months (and from several telephone conversations with Robert Tignor of FS4U) how thoroughly conscientious Bill is with Batson Enterprises, regarding design, material technology and business practices. (Now, sometime after I win the $84 million Florida Lottery on Wed 04/19, I'll be able to take a trip out his way and maybe meet Bill in person some time. ... Just for the "hal-i-but".!!!)

Bob, I know I sure would appreciate hearing some of what you learned myself. ... me and the ~ 100-200+++ other guys who will read this Post before it drops off the Front Page of the Message List (~Tuesday).

Thanks in advance, Bob, for your consideration.
-HAPPY EASTER! -Cliff Hall+++

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2006 05:10AM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Art Jessup (---.wasilla.mtaonline.net)
Date: April 16, 2006 01:51PM

Hey! Cliff you are also infringed on my moniker!!! Fish fear me, women adore me...

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: April 17, 2006 03:36AM

Hi Cliff to start out. In my own personal opinion, Bill Batson is one fine gentleman. He believes in his product. These products carry the family name and his father’s moniker. As for his products, as Bill said it took many trips to China to train the personnel to build the product to their specification and tolerances. For instance their guide frames are of one piece construction. They hold up to abuse, salt water corrosion and are guaranteed. To me they have a study look, stylish and yet light wt. I liked the feel of their exposed blank, trigger reelseats. They felt comfortable and to me were designed for low profile bait casting reels. Both guides and reelseats can be colored matched. Their rods are well designed, from their 2 wt. fly blanks to their salt water series of blanks. Their whole product line has the custom rod builder in mind. Now saying that I cannot leave out Bob Lee of Pacific Bay, Darrin Heim of American Tackle and Laurie and Steve Gustlin of All American Rollers (Salt water roller and spiral roller guides ). Each company had their own special product line to help the custom rod builder design his or her special rod. These companies, I believe are the best in the business and are here to help the custom rod builder succeed in rod building
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: April 17, 2006 09:28AM

Cliff,
Thank you for the kind assessment of some of our product line. I beleive you have come to see the advancements in the Batson/Forecast product line. There are Choices..
** SHAWN: Please do not associate Batson with any other Component company in the industry. The Batson Forecast Components are made to our specific specifications in a factory in Taiwain. I know other component companies are based out of China, Korea, Japan. to name a few. We do not Share factories with these other companies..
Batson Components are DIFFERENT, we strive to bring new and innovative products to the market. We are not just a company that buys & sells parts, we are all very passionate about what we do. We are fisherman, rodbuilders and are very involved with all the develpoments in our components and Blank lines.
If anyone ever has any questions in reagards to the "Batson way of doing buisness" Please feel free to contact us. I would be more than happy to share " The Vision"
Bill Batson
CEO
Batson Enterprises
Rainshadow/Forecast Product lines
877-875-2381
batson@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Date: April 17, 2006 10:23AM

Mr. Bob Balcome - THANK YOU for your extensive commentary. I really appreciate your report from Woodland, and your own independent comments on this subject.

Mr. Bill Batson - Thanks for correcting the misconceptions in this Post & Replies. And for "Keeping the Vision ALIVE".

-Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville, FL-USA*****

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster